January 7th, 2014


Herman F. Lippman ’37, of Thermal, Calif.; Aug. 12. He worked as an electrical engineer with Narragansett Electric in Providence for more than 40 years and retired in 1979. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. He was a member of Scottish Rite Valley of Providence, the Rhode Island Shriners, and St. John’s Lodge. He is survived by his daughter-in-law, four grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren, and a sister.

Marian Martin McGowan ’37, of Providence; Oct. 15. She was a case aide for the state of Rhode Island before retiring. She was artistic and enjoyed gardening, reading, and traveling. She is survived by five children, 17 grandchildren, and several great-grandchildren.

Samuel B. Burgess ’38, ’41 ScM, of Philadelphia; Jan. 19, 2013, of pneumonia. He was a retired pathologist. He worked as a fisheries biologist in Gloucester, Mass., before earning his MD in 1950. He practiced in hospitals in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, retiring as director of laboratories at the Glover Memorial Hospital in Needham, Mass. He served on the faculties of the Temple Univ. Medical School, the Univ. of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, and the Boston Univ. Medical School. He also worked as a consultant pathologist for the Hospital Albert Schweitzer in Haiti and served on medical training missions to Russia and China. He was the author of the book Understanding the Autopsy. He was past president of the Massachusetts Society of Pathologists and a life member of the Appalachian Mountain Club. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; a daughter, Martha B. Kroch ’66; a son; two stepdaughters; five grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; a sister, Abby B. Rockett ’43; a niece, Katharine Rockett ’80; nephews Edward Burgess ’66, Robert Burgess ’67, and nephew Angus Rockett ’80.

James S. Couzens ’38, of Brewster, Mass., and Panama City, Fla.; Oct. 6, after a brief illness. He worked at Central National Bank in New York City and later for 30 years in various positions at Boston Edison Co., retiring in 1975. Eventually he pursued another career as a financial adviser in Boston and later on Cape Cod. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. He enjoyed sailing, fishing, reading, gardening, playing golf, and traveling. He is survived by two daughters; two sons, including Christopher ’68; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Constance Hathaway Young ’39, of Morrisville, Vt.; July 16. She was a homemaker and community volunteer, especially with St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church in Hardwick, Vt. She enjoyed gardening. She is survived by several cousins.




Mary Tyrrell Kaczowka ’40, of Heathrow, Fla.; Feb. 26, 2013. She was a retired English and math teacher in the Wellesley, Mass., public school district. She was an active member of the Annunciation Parish Church and the Alpha Upsilon Education Assoc., a long-term volunteer at Florida Hospital, and secretary of the Heathrow Community Assoc. She enjoyed traveling, playing golf, and spending time with her family. She is survived by her husband, Henry Kaczowka ’40; three children; eight grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; sister Ruth Tyrrell Morse ’47; and nephew Lynn Tyrrell ’77.

Shirley Hanson Carter ’41, of Duxbury, Mass.; Sept. 25. She was an educational therapist. At the age of 64 she received her doctorate in education, and, while working for Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics, she taught an eight-week speed-reading course at the White House to President Nixon’s staff. She also taught reading and study skills at Milton Academy and at Simmons, Emmanuel, and Bridgewater State colleges. She received a distinguished service award while working at the Learning Disabilities Network in Rockland, Mass., and later taught privately. She was actively involved in the Duxbury community. She was a member of the Duxbury Yacht Club and enjoyed sailing. She is survived by a daughter, a son, six grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

Frank I. Manter ’41, of Aiken S.C.; Sept. 1. He worked at the former Clearwater Finishing Mill and later worked and retired from the Santee Print Works in Sumter, S.C. After retiring, he became certified as a tutor with Literacy Action of Aiken County. He volunteered there for 18 years, and was a trainer at Laubach Literacy Workshops, teaching immigrant and foreign students working towards their citizenship. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. He was an artist and a member of Brown’s Glee Club. He is survived by his wife, Frances; two sons; two grandchildren; sister Ruth Lind ’39, ’42 AM; and several nieces and nephews.

Jane Wheeler Pfeiffer ’42, of Washington, D.C.; May 6, of breast cancer. She cofounded Exacta Business Services in 1970 with her husband and operated the business until 2006. For a period of time she also served as assistant to Nobel Peace Laureate Ralph Bunche and as minister at All Souls Church.

Ernest O. Colarullo ’43, of Hingham, Mass.; Sept. 27. After graduating he attended the U.S. Naval Academy postgraduate school for training communications and code analysis and served for 20 months in the Pacific theater. He remained in the U.S. Navy Reserve until 1980, when he retired with the rank of lt. commander. In 1954 he purchased Barba’s Market, operating it until his retirement in 1988. He enjoyed cruising, reading, watching baseball, and discussing politics. He is survived by three daughters, a granddaughter, and several nieces and nephews.

Charles H. Collins ’44, of East Greenwich, R.I.; Oct. 17. He had worked as a computer consultant for the C.J. Fox Co., followed by varied financial management positions throughout his career. He served as treasurer and tax collector for the city of East Providence; deputy finance director, treasurer, and tax collector for the town of Bristol; vice president and general manager for the former Executive Jet Airlines of Newport; financial manager for the Rhode Island Air National Guard; assistant U.S. property and fiscal officer for the state of Rhode Island; comptroller and treasurer for the former M.A. Gammino Construction Co. of Providence; and director of operations for the former Congdon and Carpenter Co., also of Providence. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Force, then the U.S. Air Force Reserve and the Rhode Island Air National Guard, from which he retired in 1979 with the rank of colonel. He was involved in the United Way, the Narragansett Council of Boy Scouts, Meals on Wheels, and the Newman Congregational Church in Rumford, R.I. He was a trustee of the East Providence Library, the First Baptist Church of East Providence, and the East Providence Land Conservation Trust. He was a member of Zeta Psi and the Mt. Vernon Lodge of Masons. He is survived by his wife, Joanne; three daughters; a son; six grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; and a sister, Janet Collins MacLeod ’40.

William N. Perry ’44, of South Dartmouth, Mass.; Aug. 24. He worked in the insurance industry, retiring in 1986 as a senior analyst with Aetna Life & Casualty in Providence. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps. He enjoyed sailing. He is survived by his wife, Madeleine; two daughters; two sons; and seven grandchildren.

George A. Levine ’45, of Providence; Oct. 6. He joined the family business, Roberts Children’s Shop, and expanded it to include five stores before retiring. He later was a computer consultant working with nonprofits and private clients. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps. He was a member of Temple Beth-El. He is survived by his wife, Barbara; two daughters; four grandchildren; a sister, Doris Levine ’47; and 10 nieces and nephews, including Mark Levine ’71, Richard Levine ’78, and great-nephew David Levine ’12.

Edgar B. Phillips ’45, of Los Angeles, formerly of Boston; Aug. 23. He was the executive director of the American Child Guidance Foundation in Boston before establishing the American Foundation for Children and Youth. He retired in 2003. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army. He was an advisory editor of the National Congress of Parents and Teachers and a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the New England Pediatric Society, the American Medical Assoc., the Massachusetts Medical Society, and the American Public Health Assoc. He was also an advisory editor of the National Congress of Parents and Teachers. He enjoyed playing table tennis and golf. He is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, Chip and Julie Phillips, of 3069 Knob Dr., Los Angeles 90065.

Antoinette Thornton Willis ’45, of Woodstock, N.Y.; Sept. 1. She worked as a continuity editor at ABC Studios in Hollywood, and then at the U.S. Aid Mission in Saigon before the Vietnam War. After moving to New York City she worked at the Council on Foreign Relations and later at Columbia Univ. in the Research and Demonstration Center for the Education of the Handicapped. A longtime advocate for the disabled, she served on the Mayor’s Committee for Handicapped Children in New York City, then relocated to Woodstock and became a member of the Ulster County Community Services Board, where she chaired the Committee on Mental Retardation. Subsequently, she served on the board of directors of New Horizons Resources and was an active member of the Woodstock Reformed Church. She is survived by two sons, two stepchildren, and a step-grandson.

Thomas R. Woods ’45, of Rumford, R.I.; Sept. 1. He owned and operated Woods and Prétat Appliance Co. of Providence for 35 years with his business partner, the late Richard Prétat ’45. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific theater. He was an avid golfer and a member of the Wannamoisett Country Club. He is survived by two daughters, son Thomas Jr. ’80, five grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.

Carl F. Graesser Jr. ’46, of Kennebunkport, Me.; Aug. 19, of cancer. He was a retired vice president of research engineering at New Hampshire Ball Bearings. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and in the Korean War. He enjoyed sailing and was a member of the Arundel Yacht Club for more than 50 years, for which he was treasurer for many years and commodore from 1967 to 1968. He is survived by a daughter, a son, and a daughter-in-law.

Sally Blakeslee Barrett ’47, of Newport Beach, Calif., formerly of New Haven, Conn.; Mar. 12. She was active in the North Haven Congregational Church and the High Lane bowling league in Hamden, Conn., for many years before moving to California in 2005. She enjoyed watercolor painting. She is survived by two daughters, a grandson, and a sister.

Daniel P. Bierman ’48, of Amelia Island, Fla., formerly of Connecticut and Rhode Island; Aug. 17. A retired executive manager for Sears Roebuck and Co. He was actively involved in each community he lived in, serving on the Middletown (Conn.) and Newport (R.I.) Chambers of Commerce, the Middletown Exchange Club, the R.I. Lions Club, the Florida West Coast Resource Conservation and Development Committee, and the Florida Shore and Beach Preservation Assoc., which awarded him its 1995 Distinguished Service Award. During World War II and the Korean War, he served in the U.S. Navy. He was past secretary of the South Amelia Island Shore Assoc., former president of the Amelia Island Plantation Community Assoc., former president of the Pelican Club, past president of the Amelia Island Ocean Club, and a member of the U.S. Naval War College Alumni Assoc. He is survived by his wife, Joan; four children; and seven grandchildren.

Roy C. Debus ’48, of Henrico, Va.; Oct. 1. He worked for IBM and later for the Prudential Insurance Co. He retired in 1987. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. He is survived by his wife, Constance Lane Debus ’48; a daughter; and two granddaughters.

Ernest Martucci ’48, of Cranston, R.I.; Sept. 22. He was a retired Cranston East High School chemistry teacher. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. He was an avid traveler, especially throughout Europe. He is survived by numerous nieces and nephews.

Marie Fisher Ostergard ’48, of Cleveland; Oct. 4. After raising five children, she was a realtor with Hackett & Arnold and Smythe Cramer for 30 years. She was a member of the Christ Child Society and sewed clothing for needy children. She enjoyed gardening, traveling, and playing bridge, golf, and tennis. She is survived by two daughters, three sons, nine grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, a sister, and 17 nieces and nephews.

Patricia A. Stewart ’48, of New Providence, N.J.; Sept. 8. She was employed at AT&T in New York City before retiring to a second career as a realtor. She later worked for the Badgley Veterinarian Assoc. and the Murray Hill Veterinarian Assoc. She was an avid equestrian. She is survived by her nephews.

Harrison Sussman ’48, of Forest Hills, N.Y.; Aug. 5. He worked in the securities business for 30 years, retiring in 1990 as a vice president of Morgan Stanley & Co. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army. In retirement, he volunteered and was a continuing education student. He enjoyed traveling, reading historical biographies, and drinking Italian wine. He is survived by his wife, Seena; a daughter; a son, Matthew ’80; and two grandchildren.

Robert M. Wilson ’48, of Berlin, Md., formerly of Bennington, Vt.; Sept. 6, after a short illness. He opened a Ford dealership in Bennington and later served the state in various positions—as state senator for Bennington County, a member of the Vermont highway board, commissioner of economic development, and secretary of administration. During the 1980s he held several positions at Johns Hopkins Univ., including director of business policy and chief human resources officer; he retired as vice president of personnel programs in 1991. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army. Retiring in Maryland, he served on several civic boards of Worcester County. He is survived by his wife, Carol; a daughter; two sons; four stepsons; and five grandchildren.

Arvid L. Antonson ’49, of Binghamton, N.Y.; Sept. 7. A retired engineer for the General Electric Co, he was a veteran of the U.S. Air Force. He is survived by his wife, Ruth; a daughter; and a son.

Vincent M. Galli ’49, of Providence; Sept. 24. He was an engineer and vice president of Castellucci and Galli for many years. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces. He was a member of Louisquissett Golf Club and a communicant of St. Anthony Church. He is survived by his wife, Ruth; a son; a granddaughter; and two sisters.

John J. McCusker ’49, of Daleville, Va.; Aug. 25. He was employed at the General Electric Co. for more than 37 years. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. He was active with the Boy Scouts of America and the Roanoke Council for Retarded Children, and was a member of the National Assoc. of Accountants. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; three daughters; a son; six grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and a sister.








Jack Ellsworth ’50, of Patchogue, N.Y.; Sept. 12, of renal failure. Known as Ellsworth Shiebler while a Brown student, he began his broadcasting career at WBRU in 1947. He worked in Providence before moving to Long Island in 1951 and eventually owned and operated WLIM (1580 AM) from 1981 to 2001 with his wife as his partner. After selling WLIM in 2001 he was hired by WALK-AM (1370), where 50 years earlier he had been the station’s first program director. He aired his “Memories in Melody” show for the last time on Aug. 1. He was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, and while stationed in Pearl Harbor would draw a crowd around a shortwave radio to listen to Sinatra. In 1997 on the occasion of his 50th anniversary in radio and his 75th birthday, he received a plaque inscribed “The Twentieth Century’s Voice of Long Island” as well as congratulatory letters from such famous admirers as President Clinton, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, and Johnny Mathis. He was proud to note that during his career he made a point of always playing a variety of music and always picking his own music. He published Memories in Melody: A Lifetime of Experiences from the Golden Era of Popular Music in 2012. He was a former president of the Long Island MacArthur Airport Businessmen’s Assoc., and past president of the Kiwanis Club of Patchogue. He is survived by a daughter, two sons, nine grandchildren, and a sister.

Walter E. Gay ’50, of Cranbury, N.J.; Oct. 15. He was a factoring executive for more than 40 years, and he also earned a law degree as an evening student at Fordham Law School. He retired in 1993 as senior vice president of Midlantic Commercial Co., the factoring subsidiary of Midlantic Banks Inc. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army. He served on the Board of Education, and the Borough Council and Zoning Board of Adjustments in Old Tappan, N.J,, where he lived prior to moving to Cranbury. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth; two daughters; a son; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Kenneth E. King ’50, of Farmington Hills, Mich.; July 30. In 1951 he began working in the Detroit Public Library as the associate director of home reading services. He became director of the Mount Clemens Public Library in 1973 and retired in 1985 to become a consultant in the publishing industry. He was named Librarian of the Year in 1976. A veteran of the U.S. Army, he was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. Committed to lifelong learning, he organized programs for the Adult Learning Institute at Oakland (Mich.) Community College. He was involved with several civic and cultural organizations, including the Torch Club of Detroit and Mount Clemens Rotary. He is survived by a daughter, a son, six stepchildren, and nine grandchildren.

Donald R. Rawson ’50, of Sun City, Ariz.; Sept. 18. He taught and coached at Suffield Academy (Conn.) and Buckley Country Day School (N.Y.), before becoming head of Stanley Clark School in South Bend, Ind. During his 20 years in that position, the school received national recognition as a Distinguished School and he served as chair of the board of directors of the Independent Schools Assoc. of the Central States. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army. At Brown he was a member of the football, hockey, and baseball teams. Phi Kappa Psi. He was an avid golfer. He is survived by six sons, 12 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

Grace Kennison Alpert ’51, of Providence; Aug. 22. She was a former clinical psychologist with the state of Rhode Island. She was a member of the board of Miriam Hospital and a member of Temple Beth-El, Hadassah, the R.I. Psychological Assoc., and Pi Lambda Theta. She is survived by her husband, Wesley.

Peter C. Enslin ’51, of St. Louis, Mo.; Sept. 9, of a subdural hematoma. He was vice president of Engineering Controls Inc. He was a member of the Backers Board of St. Louis Repertory Theater and the Jaguar Club of St. Louis. He enjoyed playing tennis. He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, of 711 S. Laclede Station Rd., #G101, St. Louis 63119; three sons; and seven grandchildren.
Arthur T. McNeill
’51, of Winchester, Va.; Sept. 19. He had a career with the CIA for more than 30 years, serving as a Far East specialist, director of the agency’s international language programs, and finally a senior member of the staff of the inspector general. After retiring in 1985, he worked with the Ignatian Volunteer Corps and was a mediator with the Northern Virginia Mediation Service, which named him Mediator of the Year in 1990. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army. He held several leadership roles within Blessed Sacrament Parish and received the Msgr. Martin T. Quinn Award. He is survived by a daughter, two sons, and eight grandchildren.

Frank S. Most ’51, of Pittsburgh; Sept. 10. He served as an intelligence officer with the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency until retiring in 2004. He was a veteran of the U.S. Navy. He enjoyed sailing, swimming, and traveling. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; a daughter; two sons; four stepchildren; and nine grandchildren.

Lucile Fanning Newman ’51, of Jamestown, R.I.; Oct. 11, of complications of Alzheimer’s disease. A professor of anthropology for 30 years, she taught at Mills College, UC San Francisco, UC Berkeley, and Brown. She published numerous scientific articles. She was actively involved in Planned Parenthood of Rhode Island, Rhode Island Health Sciences Education Council, and the Cancer Control Board of Rhode Island. She was a member of the American Anthropological Assoc., the American Psychiatric Assoc., the Society for Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology, and the Society for Medical Anthropology. She enjoyed music and sang with the Jamestown Community Chorus. She is survived by three sons and two grandsons.

David T. Barry ’52, of Meredith, N.H.; Aug. 26, after a long illness. He worked in a variety of positions associated with the design and testing of weapons systems at such places as the Ordnance Research Lab at Penn State Univ., the Federal Product Co. (R.I.), the Naval Underwater Systems Center (R.I.), the Geosciences Department at Texas Instruments in Dallas, and Martin Marietta’s Navy Systems (Md.). In 2007 he moved to Meredith. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. He enjoyed genealogy research and was an avid reader of history, politics, and military strategy and tactics. He is survived by six children, 11 grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

Frederick J. Franco ’52, of Tilghman, Md.; Sept. 26, from complications of Alzheimer’s disease.

G. Raymond Huot ’52, of Falmouth, Mass.; May 9. He is survived by many nieces and nephews.

Walter A. Sturm ’52, of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii; Oct. 4, 2012. He is survived by his wife, Mary.

Elisabeth Githens Bing ’53, of New York City; June 1. She worked at the Metropolitan Museum of Art for 38 years. She volunteered for and was a member of numerous organizations. She is survived by her companion, John Cooney; a daughter, Virginia Bing ’85; a brother; and her former husband, Alexander Bing.

David W. Busing ’53, of Hartsdale, N.Y.; Oct. 29, of cancer. He was employed by several major architectural firms prior to founding David W. Busing & Associates in White Plains, N.Y. He also taught design part-time at the School of Architecture of the City College of New York. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army and served as chairman of the Village Planning Board in 1971. He is survived by his wife, Joan; two daughters, two sons; two stepchildren; and eight grandchildren.

M. Barnard Megargee ’53, of Charlotte, N.C.; Sept. 11. He had a sales and marketing career within the fine paper manufacturing industry, retiring from Eastern Fine Paper of Brewer, Me., in 1992. He was involved at the Levine Senior Center and enjoyed playing golf. He is survived by two daughters, two sons, seven grandchildren, and three sisters.

Eleanor Peck Merz ’53, of Waban, Mass.; Aug. 20, of lymphoma. She worked in the Brookline Mental Health Clinic and later as a counselor in the Wayland and Andover public school systems. She enjoyed painting and quilting. She is survived by daughter Lauren Merz ’79; two sons; and nine grandchildren.

Robert W. Johnstone ’54, of Killington, Vt.; Oct. 2. He worked in sales at IBM and later in real estate and development before becoming a financial consultant for Smith Barney. He retired in 2002. He was involved with residential developments in Killington and Pittsfield and served two terms as a selectman in Killington. He is survived by his wife, Edith Veit Johnstone ’54; two daughters, including Anne Johnstone ’79; a son; three grandchildren; three brothers; and several nieces and nephews.

Hiram E. Manville III ’54, of Sarasota, Fla., formerly of Old Lyme, Conn.; Sept. 29. He was a real estate developer and sold and consulted on the use of laser alignment precision equipment for power plants in the Northeast. He was a U.S. Navy veteran. He enjoyed woodworking, ice hockey, and singing four-part barbershop harmony. He is survived by his wife, Nancy; two daughters; a son; three stepchildren; and three sisters.

Marcia Finberg Goldfarb ’55, of Portland, Me.; Sept. 27, following a short illness. She worked as a children’s librarian at the Boston Public Library until 1958, when she devoted her time to raising a family and supporting her husband in his surgical and military careers. They settled in Portland in 1968, and in the early 1970s she returned to school to fulfill her passion for science. In 1976 she graduated from Bowdoin and began working in the biotechnology field at Atlantic Antibodies and later at Ventrex. In 1985 she started her own biotech company, Anatek-EP, which did business around the world. She participated in international meetings, particularly the International Society of Proteomics, for more than 22 years. She was the author of many scientific papers, was a member of several professional societies, and received a patent. She closed her lab and retired in 2009. She volunteered with the United Way and the Maine Medical Auxiliary. She enjoyed skating, horseback riding, fly-fishing, skiing, and in recent years nature photography, especially on the southern Maine shore, where she identified more than 190 species of birds. She is survived by her husband, Walter Goldfarb ’55; two daughters, including Miriam ’85; son Adam ’82; six grandchildren, including Jonathan Aronson ’13; a sister; and many nieces and nephews.

Ralph J. Palcho ’55, of Wayne, Pa.; Oct. 1. His career in industrial screen printing began at National Decalcomania Corp. in 1963; in 1977 he founded his own screen printing business, Nu-Art Graphics, in West Chester, Pa. He was a U.S. Army veteran. At Brown he was a member of the varsity hockey team and Delta Kappa Epsilon. He enjoyed books, cars, hockey, and cigars. He is survived by two daughters, two nieces, and a nephew.

William T. Brightman III ’56, of Middletown, R.I.; Sept. 22. He was president of Old Colony Newport National Bank until his retirement in 1994. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army. He was active in civic and school committee affairs and was a member of the American Institute of Banking, the Newport County Bankers Assoc., and the U.S. Navy League. He is survived by his wife, Martha; three daughters; a son; eight grandchildren; and a sister, Barbara Northrop ’48.

Bruce T. Dalzell ’56, of New Bedford, Mass.; July 21.

John W. Esterline III ’57, of Chicago, formerly of Indianapolis; Oct. 4. He had a 50-year career with his family business, Eagle Creek Nursery, of which he was president until his retirement in 2008. He served as president of the Indianapolis Landscape Assoc. in 1968 and was a member of the Indianapolis Dramatic Club, Woodstock Country Club, the U.S. Army Reserve, and Sigma Chi. He enjoyed the outdoors, fine dining, and spending time with family and friends. He is survived by six children, 27 grandchildren, 15 nieces and nephews, a sister, and a brother.

John T. Halley Jr. ’58, of Towson, Md.; Oct. 18. He worked for the Computer Usage Co. Inc. in Maryland and for other information technology firms in the area before joining Alexander & Alexander, an insurance brokerage firm, in 1971. In 1976 he became vice president of the firm, and he retired in 1994. He was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps. He was past vice chairman of SCORE, from which he retired in 2004, and president of the Hyde Parkers’ Club. He is survived by his wife, MaryAlice; two sons; four stepchildren; ten grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; two sisters; and a brother.

Henry O. Johnston ’58, of St. Louis, Mo.; Oct. 16, from complications of Alzheimer’s disease. He was a certified financial analyst at St. Louis Union Trust Co. In 1982 he resigned as senior vice president and senior investment officer to pursue his passions for golf and theater as an entrepreneur. He owned Sante Travel Agency in St. Louis and Pine Hollow Golf Club in North Carolina. He invested in the Broadway productions of Lena Horne and Her Music, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Red, and Legally Blonde. He was active in several civic organizations, including the Arts and Education Council, City Academy, the Repertory Theater, Laclede’s Landing Redevelopment Corp., the St. Louis Community Foundation, and the St. Louis Trust Co. He is survived by his wife, Sally; a daughter; two sons; and his brother.

Frederick E. Naef Jr. ’58, of Reston, Va.; Jan. 6, 2013, of complications from injuries suffered in a car accident. After graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy and serving in the nuclear submarine force, he moved on to a variety of civilian careers, always at the cutting edge of technology. He developed one of  Washington State’s first salmon farming operations, and then he worked on the Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion project for Lockheed Corp. In the early 1980s, he participated in the Law of the Sea efforts, and he ended his career on the Star Wars program. He also wrote four novels. He is survived by his wife, Barbara; a daughter; a son; five grandchildren; and a sister.

Lewis C. Cady ’59, of Denver; Aug. 4. He was a creative marketing director in Colorado and for a few years in New York City. He founded Little Kingdom Come newspaper in Central City, Colo., and was an avid baseball fan. He is survived by his wife, Leslie; two daughters; three grandchildren; and a brother.

James S. Gurney ’59, of Palm Springs, Calif.; Aug. 17. He had a long and varied career in real estate. He was director of domestic and international real estate for S.C.M. in New York City; vice president of sales, marketing, and development for Victor Palmieri Co. in Pittsburgh; a court-appointed asset manager for Penn Central; and vice president of international real estate equities for the First National Bank of Chicago. He moved to Palm Springs, where he founded the Gurney Group and served as president of the Desert Outreach Foundation for many years. He is survived by a brother and two nieces.

David G. Hoiles ’59, of Los Angeles; Aug. 17. He worked at Occidental Life Insurance Co. in Los Angeles until retiring in 1997. In retirement he worked at St. Matthew’s Methodist Church. He previously sang in the choir of the First United Methodist Church of Whittier, where he also served on various committees and was a lay leader. He enjoyed traveling the world, collecting stamps, reading, gardening, and doing crossword puzzles. He is survived by his wife, Aileen; three children, including Victoria Hoiles ’89; and nine grandchildren.


Maurice J. Dillon ’60, ’63 MAT of North Providence, R.I.; Sept. 8, of Lewy body dementia. He was a Rhode Island teacher and football coach at the state’s high schools and at Brown. He began teaching at Cranston East High School in 1962 and was the assistant varsity football coach for three years, winning two Class A championships. From 1956 to 1966 he was a freshman football line coach and varsity scout at Brown. He left Brown to become head varsity football coach at Bishop Hendricken High School in Warwick and returned to Brown in 1970. In 1973 he joined Johnston High School, where he coached for six seasons. In 1980 he coached at Classical High School in Providence before coaching in Ft. Myers during the 1996–97 season. He returned to Bishop Hendricken in 2007 and retired from coaching in 2009. He received numerous awards and honors throughout his athletic, academic, teaching, and coaching careers. He owned and raced two thoroughbred horses and competed in three Boston marathons. He also enjoyed playing golf. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army. He is survived by his wife, Teresa; three children; a granddaughter; and a niece, Renée A.R. Evangelista ’88.

David J. Hogarth ’60, of Quincy, Mass.; Oct. 7. He was a former personnel coordinator for Howard Johnson’s national office in Wollaston, Mass., and an adjunct faculty member at Holy Cross Theological College in Rangoon, Myanmar, where he taught ascetic and pastoral theology. He was a deacon at the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity in Rangoon. He is survived by a daughter, a son-in-law, two grandchildren, a sister, a brother, and several nieces and nephews.

Marcia Salemme Beach ’61, of Toronto, Canada; Apr. 29, of cancer. An accomplished pianist, she held teaching positions at the Eastman School of Music, McGill Univ., and the Univ. of Toronto. After retiring from teaching, she enjoyed playing chamber music with Alchemy, a group that performed at area hospitals and retirement homes. She is survived by her husband, David ’61; a daughter; a son; two grandchildren; a brother; and two nephews.

William C. Brister ’61, of East Dennis, Mass.; Aug. 9, of lung cancer. He was a fisherman in Chatham from the late 1960s to the mid-1980s. Recently he enjoyed estate sales and selling on eBay. He is survived by his companion, Mary Ellen Mahoney; three sons; a grandson; a brother; and nieces and nephews.

John M. Phipps ’61, of Malibu, Calif.; Apr. 7. He was a retired teacher for the Beverly Hills Unified School District. He was a member of the Brown rugby team. He is survived by his wife, Ethel; a daughter; and a son.

James N. Stewart ’61, of Walnut Creek, Calif.; July 11. He was a former middle school teacher and principal. He is survived by his wife, Wendy.

Albert L. Henson Jr. ’62, of Columbia, Mo.; Aug. 24. He worked as a civil rights negotiator for the federal government. In 1986, after becoming paralyzed in a bicycle accident, he moved to Columbia and led Services for Independent Living for three years before joining the Univ. of Missouri, where for 20 years he worked as the coordinator of disability programs. He was a member of the Columbia Disabilities Commission, the Columbia Northwest Rotary, the Columbia Vision Commission, the Missouri and American Bar associations, and the Assoc. of Missouri Mediators. He is survived by his wife, Maggie; four children; six granddaughters; and a brother.

Joyce Michonski Mavis ’62, of Tiburon, Calif.; Sept. 21. She was a homemaker, realtor, and substitute teacher. She enjoyed traveling the world with her husband. She is survived by her husband, Jack ’63, and two sons.

Stephen A. Goldberger ’64, of Boston; Oct. 18. He was the cofounder and acting principal of Tiger Group, an asset valuation services firm, at the time of his death. He previously was managing director of Gordon Brothers Partners, a Boston-based retail advisory firm; and former president and CEO of Hills Department Stores, the discount chain founded by his family. In addition, he held the past titles of president and COO of Alexander’s Department Stores and CEO of Gallery of Gifts Shoppes Inc. He served as a Brown trustee, a member of the board of the combined Jewish Philanthropies of Greater Boston, and chairman of the board of the International Mass Retail Assoc. He enjoyed skiing. He is survived by a daughter; a son, Seth ’99; a daughter-in-law; and five grandchildren.

Susan Herron Sibbet ’64, of San Francisco; Aug. 31, of endometrial cancer. A poet and teacher with the organization California Poets in the Schools, she was its acting director and president of the board for more than 25 years. She was a published poet and founding member of Sixteen Rivers Press. She was an active volunteer in her community. She is survived by her husband, David; four children; seven grandchildren; and a great-grandson.


Robert E. Dewar ’71, of Middle Haddam, Conn.; Apr. 7, of cancer. He was a senior research scholar at Yale and a curatorial affiliate at its Peabody Museum. In 2004, he retired from UConn, where he was a professor of anthropology. He was a member of the board of directors of the Connecticut State Museum of Natural History and the Liz Claiborne Art Ortenberg Foundation, as well as a senior fellow of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research at the Univ. of Cambridge and a member of the governing council of the British Institute in Eastern Africa. He enjoyed the opera, gardening, and cooking. He is survived by his wife, Alison; two daughters; two sons-in-law; and a granddaughter.

James W. Fitzhugh ’73, of Little Rock, Ark.; Aug. 29. He is survived by three brothers, two sisters-in-law, an uncle, and six nieces and nephews.

Beth Pomerantz ’73, of Lancaster, Pa.; Aug. 19, of cancer. She worked as a consultant at the Univ. of Michigan’s Institute of Gerontology; as a computer information systems specialist in Detroit and Atlanta; and as a paralegal at the Pennsylvania Utility Law Project in Harrisburg. She was also a copy editor for various publications. She was active with her children’s Girl Scout and Cub Scout troops, their Odyssey of the Mind teams, and their elementary school newspaper. She was a member of Temple Beth El, Temple Beth El’s Sisterhood, and Hadassah. An avid reader, she also enjoyed completing the New York Times crossword puzzles. She is survived by her husband, David Ehrlich; a daughter; a son; a brother; and nieces and nephews.

Michael A. McKone ’74, of Schenectady, N.Y.; Oct. 4. He worked for the General Electric Co. in Korea and later, after receiving his master’s degree at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School, he worked in international development with a focus on emerging markets, small business development, and sales. He was an excellent swimmer and enjoyed history, spy novels, the Rolling Stones, and the New York Yankees. Phi Kappa Psi. He is survived by a daughter, two sons, a sister, and five brothers, including David ’69, Kevin ’80, and John ’85.

Jerome S. Bush ’75, of Annandale, Va.; Sept. 9. He was an English literature scholar and historical researcher. He held master’s degrees from Cornell and the Univ. of Chicago. He loved books, music, animals, and the Boston Red Sox. He is survived by two sisters, two brothers, and five nieces and nephews.

Anthony G. Harmon ’75, of Miami Beach, Fla., formerly of Great Falls, Va.; Aug. 30. He worked in the emergency room of Washington Center Hospital for 26 years. He is survived by his wife, Stacy; a daughter; a stepson; and his mother.

Stephen I. Frater Jr.’78, of Narragansett, R.I., and Sarasota, Fla.; July 8. He worked on Wall Street before relocating in 1989 to Budapest, Hungary, where he ran a private equity firm. He later returned to the U.S. and worked as a staff writer for the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. In 2012 he published his first book, Hell Above Earth. He also taught as an adjunct professor at URI’s Harrington School of Communications. At the time of his death he was working on a screenplay titled Hollowlands. He enjoyed skiing, water sports, reading, animals, and World War II history. He is survived by his mother, a sister, a brother, a niece, and four nephews.

David H. Knights ’78, of Hopewell, N.J.; Sept. 24. He began renovating and developing brownstone buildings in the South End of Boston as a founding partner of Peet, Bensley and Knights before moving to New Jersey in 1986 and joining the real estate advising firm of K.S. Sweet Associates, now known as Picus Associates, where he was vice president. In 1997 he was elected to the Hopewell Borough Council and served as president until his death. He was instrumental in restoring the Hopewell Railroad Station and preserving land for Hopewell Park and St. Michael’s Farm Preserve. He was a Delaware & Raritan Canal Commissioner from 2004 until 2013. In 2011 he was named president of Preservation New Jersey and was leading the restoration of the 1867 Sanctuary at Ewing at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife, Linda; three children; and a sister.


Timothy Good ’81, ’91 AM, of Burke, Va., formerly of Silver Spring, Md.; Sept. 21, of cancer. He was employed as a computer scientist by TASC. He was an accomplished distance runner, a race walker with the Potomac Valley Track Club, and a longtime member of the Quantico Orienteering Club. He enjoyed square dancing and square dance calling. He is survived by a daughter, his parents, and four siblings.

Tonita F. Lipscomb ’83, of Durham, N.C.; May 25, 2012. She had worked at Chemical Bank in New York City and was a volunteer in the Women’s World Banking Organization. She is survived by her husband, Mark Abram; and her parents.

William H. Winter ’89, of Tulsa, Okla.; Sept. 9, after a short illness. He was an entrepreneur, an accomplished musician, and a photographer. He is survived by his parents, a sister, two brothers, several nieces, and a nephew.


Danielle Dunlap ’10, of Atlanta; Apr. 28. She was a Peace Corps volunteer working in Ghana. Throughout her service, she aimed at improving the quality of life for the community in the areas of nutrition, HIV/AIDS and malaria awareness, and sanitation. Prior to joining the Peace Corps, she tutored students in English, math, and science at The Academy at Harvard Square in Cambridge, Mass. She also enjoyed scuba diving, dancing, and Christian missionary work. She is survived by her parents and many other family members.


Samuel B. Burgess ’41 ScM (see ’38).

Bernice Lehrman Novick
’47 ScM, of Greenville, S.C.; Oct. 15, of Parkinson’s disease. She taught at Queens Univ. and worked at MetLife. She is survived by two daughters, a son, and two grandsons.

Richard J. Feinberg ’48 ScM, of Loveland, Colo., formerly of Washington, D.C.; Sept. 26. He was a pediatric allergist who had a private practice in Washington, D.C. He also held appointments at Children’s National Medical Center, Holy Cross Hospital, and what is now MedStar Georgetown Univ. Hospital. He was a consultant for the Asthmatic Children’s Foundation and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy, and from 1948 to 1950 he conducted biological warfare research at Fort Detrick, Md. After retiring from medical practice, he volunteered at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History and in the Smithsonian Gardens Greenhouse. He is survived by his wife, Jan; three daughters; three stepdaughters; six grandchildren; and a sister.

Thomas H. Walnut Jr. ’51 PhD, of Syracuse, N.Y.; Sept. 28. He was a professor of physical chemistry at Syracuse for more than 40 years. He published numerous papers. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army. He was a member of the Syracuse Chargers Track Club and Pebble Hill Presbyterian Church. He enjoyed studying linguistics, genetics, and geopolitics. He is survived by his wife, Lois; a daughter; a son; and three grandchildren.

Harriet Ripley Gay ’52 AM, of Honolulu; Feb. 22, 2013. She was an artist and author. She published The Juilliard String Quartet in 1974. She is survived by her husband, E. Laurence; two daughters; two sons; four grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Americo B. Almeida ’55 ScM, of Fall River, Mass.; Aug. 29. A physician, he held various positions throughout his career, including chair of the department of family practice at Charlton Memorial Hospital, chair of family practice at St. Anne’s Hospital, and president and medical director of Prima Care P.C. of Fall River. He was also on the Portuguese Task Force at St. Anne’s. He published many scientific articles. He served as secretary of the Fall River Medical Society and was a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society, the American Medical Assoc., and the American Academy of Family Practice. He is survived by his wife, Shirley; five children; five grandchildren; a sister; and several nieces and nephews.

Maurice J. Dillon ’63 MAT (see ’60).

David G. Erdmann ’67 MAT, of Winter Park, Fla.; Oct. 7. His education career spanned more than 45 years. He was a teacher and administrator at Trinity Pawling School, Albany Academy, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute before joining Rollins College, where he was dean of admission and enrollment for 29 years. He enjoyed fly-fishing. He is survived by his wife, Sue; and a daughter.

Ray W. Karras ’69 MAT, of Nashua, N.H.; Sept. 13. He was a teacher in the Lexington Public Schools from 1969 to 1989. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army. He enjoyed debates and formed a cultural forum, “Therapy for the Soul,” in his apartment community. He is survived by two cousins and many friends.

Russell S. Fales ’71 MAT, of Dennis, Mass.; Oct. 1. He taught English at Barnstable High School for 28 years. He had a second career as an attorney and served a term as president of the Barnstable County Bar Assoc. in 2002. He was an active member of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, where he served on the vestry, chaired the liturgy committee, and was a Eucharistic minister. He enjoyed painting and sketching. He is survived by his wife, Nancy; two sons; and several nieces and nephews.

Joie P. Jones ’71 PhD, of Laguna Beach, Calif.; June 23. Since 1977 he was a professor of radiological sciences at UC Irvine, where he pioneered new developments in ultrasonic imaging and tissue characterization, acoustical microscopy, and noncontact ultrasonic imaging. He held multiple patents. He served on President Carter’s scientific advisory board, advised President Obama’s administration on energy and medicine, consulted for the U.S. Department of Energy on the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and served on a special committee under the secretary general of the United Nations to investigate solutions for global warming. He was active in the arts and was the founding president of the UC Irvine Theater Guild and the Orange County Chapter of the Acoustical Society of America. He also served as president of the Laguna Beach Chamber Music Society. With his wife, he wrote a food and wine column and was a black-hat member of the California Wine and Food Society. He is survived by his wife, Becky.

Pamela Richardson Ippoliti ’72 MAT, of Evanston, Ill.; Aug. 12, after a short illness. She spent five years in France teaching English before returning to Evanston. She was then employed by the March of Dimes in Chicago and by the School of Public Health at the Univ. of Illinois in Chicago. She retired in 2009. She volunteered with many charitable organizations, including the Evanston homeless shelter, the Burmese Refugee Outreach Program, the Moveable Feast Soup Kitchen, and St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, where she served as a junior and senior warden. She is survived by her stepmother, stepsister, stepbrother, sisters-in-law, cousins, nieces, and nephews.

Timothy Good
’91 AM (see ’81).

Alan C. Petigny ’95 AM, ’03 PhD, of Tampa, Fla.; Sept. 24. He was an award-winning reporter for National Public Radio and a policy analyst for the U.S. Congress Joint Economic Committee before he returned to graduate school at Brown. He joined the history faculty at the Univ. of Florida and was an associate professor since 2010. In 2009 he published The Permissive Society: America, 1941–1965. He is survived by his mother, three sisters, three brothers, a niece, and a nephew.


George K. Boyd, of Barrington, R.I.; Sept. 30. He was a clinical associate professor emeritus of pediatrics. He was a pediatric allergist in Providence for more than 35 years and trained Brown medical residents at Rhode Island Hospital. He published numerous scientific articles and was the recipient of the 1999 Emeriti Award of Appreciation. He was a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology and a member of the New England Society of Allergy, the R.I. Medical Society, and the Providence Medical Society. He played the French horn and enjoyed model railroading, gardening, sailing, and the theater. He is survived by his wife, Jean; two daughters; two grandsons; three nieces; and two nephews.

Maxim Daamen, of Tiverton, R.I., Sept. 29. He was a clinical assistant professor of psychiatry and human behavior in Brown’s Alpert School of Medicine and former associate dean of the College. He was active in numerous professional societies and was recognized as one of Rhode Island’s top psychiatrists in Rhode Island Monthly. He is survived by five siblings and 13 nieces and nephews.

Lucile Fanning Newman
(see ’51).

Siegfried M. Pueschel, of Providence, Sept. 2, of prostate cancer. A pioneering developmental pediatrician and geneticist, in 1975 he was recruited from Harvard to Rhode Island Hospital as the director of the Child Development Center. While training Brown medical students, he continued his clinical practice and research, authoring hundreds of scientific articles and texts, including The Young Child with Down Syndrome, The Special Child: A Source Book for Parents of Children with Developmental Disabilities, and A Parent’s Guide to Down Syndrome: Toward a Brighter Future. In 1985 he earned his PhD in psychology from URI. He lectureed widelyabout Down Syndrome, meeting with Pope John Paul II and the queen of Spain. In 1994 he became a professor emeritus while continuing to honor speaking engagements. He volunteered with such organizations as the Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity, the National Down Syndrome Society, and the National Down Syndrome Congress. He received the 2013 Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Down Syndrome Congress and the 2000 Emeriti Award of Appreciation from Brown. An accomplished athlete, he ran 38 marathons and climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Shasta. At the age of 70 he climbed to the base camp of Mt. Everest and earned his black belt in Tae Kwan Do. He enjoyed traveling the world, gardening, classical music, and opera. He is survived by a daughter, a son, and five grandchildren.

What do you think?
See what other readers are saying about this article and add your voice. 
Related Issue
January/February 2014