By The Editors / November / December 2003
June 21st, 2007


Edythe Pine Aldrich ’27, of Warwick, R.I.; June 21. She co-owned Pawtuxet Memorial Park, a cemetery founded by her mother’s family, until she retired and sold the business in 1984. She was previously secretary to the dean of freshmen and to the committee on scholarships at Brown from 1927 to 1939. The oldest member of Washington Park United Methodist Church, she served for more than eighty years as financial secretary, membership secretary, memorial-fund chairwoman, choir member, and member of the Young at Hearts club. She had been a member of the Edgewood Women’s Club, Church Women United of Rhode Island, and United Methodist Women. An active alumna, she served as head class agent for many years and as a class marshal at her 50th reunion. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by a daughter; a son, William ’64, ’68 M.A.T.; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Dorothy Hampson Pope ’27, of Durham, N.C.; June 19. In the late 1930s she became a secretary to J. B. Rhine, who founded parapsychology. She eventually became managing editor of the Journal of Parapsychology, and after retiring she continued to work part-time for the journal until she was well into her nineties (see “Mind Over Matter,” The Classes, March/April 1999). She enjoyed gardening and traveling. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by two daughters, including Joyce Johnson, 1439 Aquia Dr., Stafford, Va. 22554; three grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.


Jessie Angilly Michelson ’30, of North Kingstown, R.I.; June 28, after falling in her home. She had been a schoolteacher and an assistant registrar at Amherst College before she retired in 1972. She is survived by two sons, a daughter, nine grandchildren, and twelve great-grandchildren.

Gwendolyn Hainer Morrison ’31, of Naples, Fla.; Aug. 4. She was a teacher for thirty years in Hasbrouck Heights, N.J. A member of Moorings Presbyterian Church, she was a benefactor of their music program. She is survived by a daughter and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Harry W. Streep Jr. ’31, of Stamford, Conn.; July 22, of renal failure. He was an executive for Merck & Co. in Rahway, N.J., and the father of actress Meryl Streep. He retired in 1976. He is survived by two sons; a daughter; and ten grandchildren.

Marjorie Holt Dennis ’32, of Boynton Beach, Fla.; Nov. 13. She was a low-handicap amateur golfer, participating in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C., golf events and in numerous tournaments throughout the country. She served as president of the Women’s Southern Association, president of the Virginia State Women’s Golf Association, playing captain of the Virginia Golf Team, and director of the Women’s Trans National Golf Association. She served as assistant to Brown art professor Will Taylor for three years after her graduation. She is survived by a son, Jeffrey ’64, P.O. Box N-1345, Nassau, N.P., Bahamas; two granddaughters; and two great-granddaughters.

Marion Taylor Ware ’32, of Fairfax, Va.; June 28. Among the many positions she held in the Worcester, Mass., area, she was a librarian in the city’s school system before she retired. She was a Red Cross volunteer and worked for several Worcester-area volunteer organizations. She is survived by three nephews.

Arthur F. “Bud” Kroeger ’33, of Vero Beach, Fla.; June 24. He established the A.&H. Kroeger Organization, a consulting firm in New York City that represented many major industries. He also served as a director on numerous corporate boards and as a captain in the U.S. Army. An avid golfer, he won many amateur awards. He was a member of the John’s Island Club, the Bent Pine Golf Club, the Garden City New York Golf Club, and the University Club of New York City. He is survived by his wife, Alexa Daley; two daughters; and two grandchildren.

Evelyn Sanborn Sands ’33, of Wolfeboro, N.H.; July 29. She taught remedial reading at the Rindge Memorial School in Jaffrey, N.H., until she retired in 1977. With her late husband, she previously managed the Wolfeboro Casino, a bowling alley and dancing establishment on Lake Winnipesaukee. She wrote a weekly bowling column for the Granite State News. A past member of the Eastern Star and the New Hampshire Retired Educators Association, she was a member of Delta Kappa Gamma, which recognized her in 1977 for outstanding service in education. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by two daughters, two sons, twelve grandchildren, and twenty great-grandchildren.

Virginia McCray Briggs ’34, of Pensacola, Fla.; April 9, 2002. She was active in the Legal Aid Society in Albany, N.Y., and served on the school board in Altamont, N.Y. A member of St. John’s Lutheran Church and an amateur watercolorist, she enjoyed art and literature. She is survived by two daughters, including Lydia Briggs Petty ’66, 409 Stanwich Rd., Greenwich, Conn. 06830; a son; and eight grandchildren, including Jesse Richardson Poole ’94.

Frank C. Barber ’34, of Melbourne, Fla.; Oct. 20. He was a minister in American Baptist churches in Rhode Island and Massachusetts for more than thirty-seven years. Churches he served included Central Baptist and Niantic Baptist churches in Westerly, R.I.; the former Elmwood Baptist Church in Providence; and the former Broad Street Baptist Church in Central Falls, R.I. He also had radio ministries in Providence and Westerly. He was past president of the Rhode Island Baptist Ministers Association and the Rhode Island Federation of Men’s Bible Classes. He also served as a tenor soloist, organist, and director of church and community choral groups in Rhode Island. He was a member of the Mayflower Society and the First Baptist Church in America in Providence. He enjoyed traveling, baseball, golfing, and bowling. He is survived by a son, Robert, 22 Pub Cir., Hebron, Conn. 06248; a daughter; three grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and a companion, Lena Salvatore.

Marion Howard Eastwood ’34, of Bristol, R.I.; July 20. She was a teacher at Quidnick Grammar School and Coventry High School in Rhode Island, retiring in 1971. She had been a member of Oaklawn Community Baptist Church. She is survived by a sister.

John R. Hall ’34, of Fall River, Mass.; Aug. 4, after a long illness. He worked for the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare from 1966, when he joined its Manpower Resources Program, until 1976, when he retired as an overseer of research grants at the National Center for Health Services Research and Development. He joined the new Arms Control & Disarmament Agency in 1963 and cofounded the Health Applications Section of the Operations Research Society of America in 1967, serving as secretary, chairman, and newsletter editor during the next decade. A veteran of World War II and the Korean War, he resigned from the U.S. Navy in 1954 with the rank of commander and became a civilian employee of the U.S. Air Force. In 1987 he arranged for the publication of In a Place Called Swansea, a collection of his historical research on his Massachusetts hometown. He is survived by a son, John Jr. ’67, 10 Alden Dr., Norwood, Mass. 02062; a daughter; and two brothers, Walter ’40 and Lawrence ’44.

Harry E. Moat ’34, of Wilkes Barre, Pa.; Oct. 9, 2002.

Roswell Angier ’37, of South Yarmouth, Mass.; Aug. 10. He managed air cargo at American Airlines for twenty-five years and at Trans World Airlines for fifteen years. In retirement he was a volunteer and corporator at Cape Cod Hospital. A sportsman, he enjoyed sailing his catboat on Nantucket Sound. He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, three daughters, nine grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.

Charles A. Connell ’37, of New Vernon, N.J.; Aug. 22. He owned the former Art-Print Co. in Scranton, Pa., until he retired in 1965. He was a member of the Morris County Golf Club for more than fifty years. A fisherman and sport shooter, he was a member of the former Mendham Valley Gun Club and Fin, Fur and Feather. He is survived by two sons, including Charles Jr. ’63; a daughter; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Stanley T. Grzebien ’37, of Narragansett, R.I.; May 26, 2002. He was a retired physician.

James R. Rigby ’37, of Dunwoody, Ga.; June 4. He retired in 1982 from the Fulton County, Ga., department of planning and community development. He previously worked at the DeKalb County, Ga., department of planning and development of roads and bridges, and at Lockheed for fifteen years. A veteran of World War II, he fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He held life memberships in engineering and land-surveying organizations. His hobbies included reading, music, and ballroom dancing. He is survived by his wife, Teresa, two daughters, and two grandsons.

Sylvia Levinsohn Friedman ’39, of Shadyside, Pa.; Feb. 7. She was a homemaker.

Katherine P. Tucker ’39, of Providence; June 15. She retired in 1990 after many years as a tourism specialist for the Rhode Island Economic Development Council. She previously taught in Providence public schools and worked for the Rhode Island labor department. She wrote articles for the New York Times, the Boston Herald, and the Rhode Island Yearbook. She was a member of the Rhode Island Historical Society and the World Affairs Council. Active in her Pembroke class and in the Pembroke Club of Providence, she had been a prolific contributor and past president of the Rhode Island Short Stories Club. She is survived by several cousins.


Alfred J. Kaiser ’40, of Hatfield, Mass.; July 24. He was a family physician and anesthesiologist in private practice and at Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton, Mass., until he retired in 1984. He was also a physician in the Hatfield public schools for thirty-five years and for the Hatfield Fire Department. He often provided medical care in exchange for goods, food, or labor, and was one of the last doctors in his area to make house calls. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he served in the Pacific theater as a captain in the medical corps. He was a member of the War Crimes Legal Section Division after the war, receiving a Presidential Citation and numerous other honors. A former trustee of Cooley Dickinson, he was a member of the American Medical Association and the Hatfield American Legion. He was a communicant of St. Joseph Church. He enjoyed gardening, going to the opera, and traveling. He is survived by a brother, a nephew, and a niece.

Anne Keenan McCaffrey ’40, of East Greenwich, R.I.; April 13. She was a teacher for twenty years at St. Edwards School in Pawtucket, R.I., at Notre Dame School in Central Falls, R.I., and in Swansea, Mass., before she retired in 1978. She was an active volunteer at Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island for twenty-three years. At Brown she chaired her 50th reunion committee. She is survived by a son, three daughters, nine grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

Lydia Briggs Smith ’40, of Pensacola, Fla.; Jan. 6, 2002. She was a guidance counselor at the Canton, Mass., high school. She served at the Pentagon in the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps during World War II, rising to the rank of lieutenant colonel. After the war she and her first husband lived in occupied Japan near Hiroshima, where she escorted visiting dignitaries, including Helen Keller, on tours of the bombing sites. She was previously recreational and social director of student nurses at Rhode Island Hospital from 1940 to 1942. She traveled the world extensively in her later years. She is survived by two nieces, including Lydia Briggs Petty ’66, 409 Stanwich Rd., Greenwich, Conn. 06830; and a nephew.

Victor J. Hillery ’41, of Madison, N.J.; Jan. 28. He retired in 1984 after thirty-eight years at the Wall Street Journal, where he wrote the widely read column “Abreast of the Market,” a daily wrap-up of the New York Stock Exchange. He served during World War II in the 5th Armored Division, which fought with General Patton and liberated Luxembourg, Germany. He wrote for the military newspaper Stars and Stripes. At Brown he was editor of the Brown Daily Herald, managing editor of Sir Brown, and a member of the John Hay Club, the Undergraduate Athletic Council, and the Brown Key. He enjoyed traveling and took several trips with the Brown Travelers. He is survived by a son, Philip, 27 Ferndale Rd., Madison 07940; and five grandchildren.

Earl E. Brant ’42, of Washington, D.C.; July 22, of Parkinson’s disease. He was director of radiology at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City from 1964 until he retired in 1978. He later became a traveling doctor, working as a radiation therapist in small hospitals in Nebraska, Rhode Island, Iowa, and Tennessee. After moving to Washington, D.C., he volunteered as a research assistant at the Washington Historical Society. He was a member of the National Presbyterian Church and a volunteer at its Culbertson Library and Archive. He served in the U.S. Army and ran a field hospital in Seoul, South Korea, from 1946 to 1948. He is survived by his wife, Catherine Schatz Brant ’40, a daughter, and a sister.

Margaret Taintor Goodrich ’42, of Red Bank, N.J.; June 16. She was the historian for Monmouth County, N.J., and was a founder and first curator of the Neptune Historical Museum. She was also a founder, charter life member, and secretary of the Neptune Historical Society, and a founder, past secretary, and president of the Neptune Public Library’s board. She was a columnist and history writer for the Ocean Grove & Neptune Times for many years. An executive member of the Monmouth County Heritage Committee, the Neptune Board of Architectural Review, and the Neptune Mayor’s Advisory Council, she is survived by a son, a daughter, and five grandchildren.

J. Stanley Hanse ’42, of Rancho Mirage, Calif.; June 27, of cancer. He was a vice president of General Tire for thirty-eight years before he retired. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was a member of the Sunrise Country Club board, the Ohio Ballet, the Akron Art Institute, the Brown club, the Sharon Golf Club, the Portage Country Club, Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens, and several Akron, Ohio, civic organizations. He is survived by his wife, Joanne, three daughters, a stepdaughter, two stepsons, five grandchildren, a sister, and a brother.

Douglas E. Leach ’42, of Nashville, Tenn.; July 1, after a twenty-two-year struggle with leukemia. He was a professor emeritus of history at Vanderbilt, where he specialized in early America. A nationally recognized author of five books on colonial military history, he served a term as chairman of Vanderbilt’s history department, a term as president of the Vanderbilt chapter of the American Association of University Professors, and two terms as director of Vanderbilt’s graduate studies. His first book, Flintlock and Tomahawk (1958), is quoted and cited to this day. He also wrote a naval memoir and numerous articles in professional publications. He received the Harvey Branscomb Distinguished Professorship Award and two Fulbright lectureships. He served as a visiting professor at the Univ. of New Mexico, the Univ. of Rhode Island, the Univ. of Liverpool and the Univ. of Leeds in England, and the Univ. of Auckland in New Zealand. He began his career at Bates College before joining the Vanderbilt faculty in 1956. He retired thirty years later. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he served as a deck officer aboard a destroyer escort in the Pacific. He was a member of Calvary United Methodist Church, where he taught Sunday school. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by his wife, Brenda, 131 Harpeth Trace Dr., Nashville 37221; a daughter; a son; and a sister.

Martin F. Lynn ’42, of Winter Park, Fla.; June 28. He was vice president and director of the Waterbury (Conn.) Buckle Co. and president of the Waterbury Tag Co. before he retired in 1986. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Louise, 130 Lake Sue Ave. West, Winter Park 32789; a son; a daughter; six grandchildren; and three brothers, including Robert ’51 and J. Douglas ’53.

Francis X. Cooney ’43, of Cranston, R.I.; Aug. 28. A textile executive, he was general manager of Cranston Print Works for many years before he retired in 1980. He had also been president of a textile company in North Adams, Mass., and manager of Galway Printing Co. in Ireland for three years. He enjoyed reading. A U.S. Marine Corps veteran of World War II, he also served in the Marine Corps Reserve. He is survived by his wife, Gertrude; three daughters; his twin sister, Bertha Cooney Garrett ’43; and a sister, Anne Cooney D’Antuono ’46, 52 Black Plain Rd., North Smithfield, R.I. 02896.

Robert E. Seaman ’43, of Okemos, Mich.; July 2, after a short illness. He worked for several years at Merritt Enterprises, an engineering software company. He previously worked in the family clothing business, the Style Shop, for twenty-four years. A U.S. Army Signal Corps veteran of World War II, he served at Arlington Hall in Virginia and was part of the team that contributed to an Allied victory at Midway Island by cracking Japanese naval codes. He served on the boards of the Greater Lansing (Mich.) Chamber of Commerce, the Greater Lansing Urban League, the Visiting Nurses Association, and Family and Child Services. He was also active in the local Rotary Club, serving on its international committee and ambassadorial scholarship committee, and as president of the Rotary Club of Lansing Foundation. He was a member of All Saints Episcopal Church for forty-four years, serving on the vestry and as junior warden for building and grounds. He and his wife traveled extensively to Mexico, the Caribbean, England, and Europe. He is survived by his wife, Corrintha, two sons, two daughters, eight grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

Mary Louise Sherwood Steere ’43, of Wickford, R.I.; July 21. She was a member of the Wednesday Club, the Providence Athenaeum, and the North Kingstown (R.I.) Free Library. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by a daughter; two sons; four grandchildren; and three sisters, including Caroline Sherwood Peck ’44 and Barbara Sherwood Sinkinson ’45.

George A. Winslow ’43, of Waltham, Mass.; Jan. 17. He was a retired teacher.

Frank J. Kenny Jr. ’44, of Toms River, N.J.; Aug. 31, 2002.

Manning D. Goldense ’46, of Lincoln, R.I.; July 31. He worked at G. Fred Swanson in Providence for twenty-seven years, leaving as vice president in 1973 to found M.D. Goldense Inc. Both companies supplied engineered commercial-building products. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he rose to the rank of lieutenant junior grade. He was a forty-two-year member of Union Lodge 10, F&AM. He was a former member of the Providence Engineering Society. He is survived by his wife, Marjorie; two sons, including Bradford ’77; and three granddaughters.

Cecil Rhodes Jr. ’46, of New York City; April 2.

Rita Batastini Rolli ’46, ’47 A.M., of Litchfield, Conn.; April 23. She was a language teacher in the Litchfield school system for more than fifty years. Primarily a Latin teacher, she was devoted to her faith, to the field of education, and to her community. She is survived by her husband, Joseph, five children, and four grandchildren.

Charles E. Saul ’46, of Natick, Mass.; June 3. He retired as an audit officer at People’s Bank, where he had worked for more than twenty-five years as a teller, head bookkeeper, and auditor. A U.S. Army Air Forces veteran of World War II, he served as a meteorologist in the Far East. He was an active supporter of Boy Scout Troop 82 in Providence, serving as treasurer for more than two decades. He was a longtime member of What Cheer Lodge in Providence and the Saunderstown Yacht Club. He enjoyed landscape gardening, bird-watching, and fishing. He is survived by three sons and two grandchildren.

Alice Riley Donnelly ’47, of Sarasota, Fla.; Aug. 1. She was a retired elementary school teacher. A second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, she served during the Korean War. She was a member of Our Lady of the Angels Catholic Church, where she sang in the choir. She is survived by her husband, Hugh, a daughter, two sons, and four grandchildren.

Raymond E. Johnson ’47, of Rutland, Vt.; June 26. He founded the Product Directions advertising agency. He is best known for his “Put a Tiger in Your Tank” advertising campaign for Esso, which he did as an employee of McCann-Ericson; Advertising Age named the campaign the most effective in history. He was a member of the Concord (Mass.) Players, the Single Life single seniors social group, and the Senior Ski and Sports Clubs. He enjoyed hosting parties, landscaping, theater, skiing, the outdoors, and listening to music. He took nearly forty cruises in his later years. A U.S. Navy officer during World War II, he was a director of the Brownbrokers while an undergraduate. Sigma Xi and Tau Beta Pi. He is survived by his companion, Peggy Elliott, two sons, a granddaughter, and a brother.

Edward Lind ’47, of Penfield, N.Y.; Sept. 7, 2002.

John F. Delany ’48, of Walnut Creek, Calif.; March 27. Survivors include son John ’72 and granddaughter Amelia Behrman ’05.

Claire Steeves Kaminski ’48, of Greenville, R.I.; Aug. 15, after a thirty-year battle with cancer. She was an associate professor of nursing at the Community College of Rhode Island in Lincoln and a nursing instructor at Rhode Island Hospital and Roger Williams Hospital. She is survived by her husband, John ’47, 17 Cider Ln., Greenville 02828; a daughter; two sons; and six grandchildren.

Eva Neumann ’48, ’50 Sc.M., of Gwynedd, Pa.; July 18, of leukemia, at the age of 102. She graduated from Pembroke when she was forty-seven, after fleeing Nazi Germany. A professor emerita of psychology at Gwynedd Mercy College, where she taught from 1966 to 1972, she’d previously taught at St. Joseph’s Univ. After retiring she researched the psychology of ancient art, visiting cave paintings in the Pyrenees, cliff carvings in Turkey, and Etruscan tombs in Italy. When Hitler came to power, she was a bookbinder in her widowed mother’s bookshop in Berlin. The Nazis closed the shop. During World War II she immigrated to the United States; her mother, who would not leave, died in a concentration camp. Neumann spent her final years rereading her favorite authors, including Thomas Mann, whose work she bound and smuggled out of Germany. She has no survivors.


Dean B. Bullard ’50, of Newport, R.I.; July 19. He retired after many years in human resources at the Newport Marriott Hotel. He previously worked for IBM, first in Providence, then as a district manager for many states, and finally as national service manager in Johannesburg, South Africa. A U.S. Marine Corps veteran of World War II, he served in Guam and rose to the rank of master technical sergeant. He is survived by his wife, Jean, a son, a daughter, two grandsons, and a sister.

Barbara Vance Chatterton ’50, of Chicago; April 28. She retired from the honors program at Loyola Univ. She is survived by a son, Frederick, a sister, and two brothers. She was married to the late John Chatterton ’50.

Jane Fagan Donovan ’50, of Greenwich, Conn.; July 19, after a brief struggle with cancer. She was a lawyer with Curtis, Brinckerhoff, and Barrett, which she joined in 1961; she made partner in 1977 and remained of counsel after retiring. She had been president of the Stamford/Norwalk Bar Association, treasurer of the Connecticut Bar Association, and a trial referee in the Connecticut court system. She also served for fourteen years as a member and officer of the board of the Convent of the Sacred Heart in Greenwich. She served on the board of the Katharine Gibbs School in Norwalk, Conn. More recently, she volunteered with the Service Corps of Retired Executives. She served as president of her Pembroke class, cochair of her 45th and 50th reunion-gift committees, a member of the executive fund of the Brown Annual Fund, and class agent. She also interviewed prospective students through BASC. An avid traveler, she made two trips to the Antarctic. She was a longtime member of the Greenwich Country Club, the Yale Club in New York City, and the Dunes Club in Narragansett, R.I. She is survived by two sons, including Daniel ’85; a daughter, Maeve Donovan Duncan ’87; four grandchildren; and a brother.

Irving A. Farrell Jr. ’50 of Burrillville, R.I.; June 29. He taught French and Latin at Burrillville Junior and Senior High School until he retired in 1986. A teacher for twenty-one years, he taught in Lancaster, N.H., for three years and in Caribou, Maine, for ten years, before moving to Burrillville. He was a U.S. Navy veteran of World War II. A member of the Golden Oldies Hockey Club and a former 3rd-degree knight in the Knights of Columbus, he enjoyed pond hockey, mountain climbing, and building model airplanes. He is survived by his wife, Bernadette, five sons, a daughter, nine grandchildren, and a brother.

Margaret Hashimura Moffat ’50, of Reno, Nev.; May 23, after a brief illness. She joined the technical staff of the Aerospace Corp. in El Segundo, Calif., in 1964, and retired in 1989 as systems director of the Satellite Control Directorate. She received many commendations for her contributions to U.S. Department of Defense space programs. In 1977 the company named her its woman of the year. She was previously an engineer at General Electric, Raytheon, and Hughes Aircraft. The senior class president of her high school in Hawaii, she placed first in her graduating class at Brown and won the Mathematics Prize. Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi. She is survived by her husband, Burnham, 6155 Plumas St., #171, Reno 89509; two daughters; four grandchildren; two sisters; and a brother.

Robert C. Pendleton ’50, of St. Louis Park, Minn.; June 20, after a two-year struggle with cancer. He worked for Barrett Moving and Storage until he retired in 2000. He previously worked for twenty-two years in sales for Skellet Van and Storage. After enlisting in the U.S. Navy in 1944, he served as a seaman 1st class aboard the USS Dace in the South Pacific until the war’s end. He was a longtime Red Sox fan and volunteered to read for the blind. Alpha Delta Phi. He is survived by his wife, Paula Skellet Pendleton ’51, four sons, a daughter, and two grandchildren.

Edward W. Temp (Tempinski) ’50, of Reno, Nev.; June 4, 2002. Survivors include his wife, Mary Cooney Temp ’43, 1505 W. Plumb Ln.., Reno 89509.

Alan R. Ackerman ’51, of New York City; July 9, of a stroke. He was a global market strategist and executive vice president of Fahnestock & Co. A frequent radio and television commentator, he was a contributing editor to several financial publications. He edited the 2003 book Investing Under Fire: Winning Strategies from the Masters for Bulls, Bears, and the Bewildered. He served in the Ford administration in 1974–75, traveling frequently to the Middle East during that time. He is survived by his longtime companion, Suzanne Robinson; two sons; a daughter; seven grandchildren; and two brothers, including Robert ’57.

A. Dean Albert ’51, of Falmouth, Va.; June 18, after a long illness. He retired in 1974 as a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps. He enlisted in 1945 and was recalled to active duty during his senior year at Brown to serve in the Korean War. His military career also included U.S. Army tank training at Fort Knox, Ky.; two tours in Okinawa, Japan; service in Vietnam; teaching at the Naval Amphibious School in Coronado, Calif.; training with the U.S. Navy SEALS; duty at Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe in Hawaii; and service at the Command and General Staff College in Quantico, Va. In 1983 he graduated from Mary Washington College with a degree in computer science. In 1985 he received an award for programming Aegis ships at the Naval Surface Warfare Center. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by his wife, Virginia, 302 Ridgemore St., Falmouth 22405; two daughters; five granddaughters; and two great-grandsons.

Louis Cedroni ’51, of North Providence; June 13. He was a driver for Mills Coffee Co. in Rhode Island and Massachusetts for the past twenty-one years. He previously owned and operated the former Kennedy’s Butter and Eggs of Providence. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he was past president of the Holy Name Society of Holy Ghost Church in Providence. He enjoyed square dancing and traveling the world. He is survived by five daughters, including Mary, 4051 Candlewood St., #226, Lakewood, Calif. 90712; a son; three grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; a brother; and two sisters.

John A. Frye ’51, of Bristol, R.I.; June 27. A self-employed jewelry designer and manufacturer, he created many pieces for Halston and Estée Lauder. He was an accomplished golfer in high school, shooting a hole-in-one at the age of fifteen. He was also on his high school track team and established a Rhode Island record in the broad jump that lasted for many years. He sailed in many Newport-to-Bermuda races. A longtime resident of East Providence, he was a member of the Rhode Island Jewelers Association, the Brown Club of Rhode Island, the Wannamoisett Country Club, the Rhode Island Golf Association, and the American Legion. A U.S. Marine Corps veteran of World War II, he is survived by his wife, Mary, a daughter, and four grandchildren.

Alfred M. Lisi ’51, of Tarpon Springs, Fla.; June 29. He was a retired counselor and teacher in Providence public schools. A U.S. Army Air Forces veteran of World War II, he served in the northern Solomon Islands, Guadalcanal, the Central Pacific, Midway, and the Asiatic Pacific Theater, receiving the bronze and silver stars and the Distinguished Flying Cross. He played varsity football at Brown. Delta Kappa Epsilon. He is survived by his wife, Joy, a son, a daughter, four grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, and two sisters.

Arthur S. Millholland ’51, of Milton, Ontario; March 26. He is survived by his wife, Helen, a daughter, a son, five grandchildren, and a sister.

Constance Berg Murphy ’51, of Cary, Ill.; July 8, of a heart attack. She taught language arts and reading at Cary Junior High School for twenty-three years before she retired in 1994. A two-term member of the local school board from 1967 to 1970, she advocated for the construction of the junior high. She was active for many years in St. Mark’s Episcopal Church and was a member of its vestry in the early 1990s. She enjoyed gardening, cooking, reading, and genealogy. She is survived by her husband, David ’51, 711 Spring Beach Way, Cary 60013; two daughters; a son; four grandchildren; and a brother.

Thomas P. Ormsby ’51, of Duxbury, Mass.; June 20, after a short illness. He was a retired sales representative at the Monroe Co., a distributor of business machines. A veteran of the Korean War, he served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps. He was a member of the Duxbury American Legion and a former member of the Boston Gridiron Club. He enjoyed following Brown football and is survived by a son, James, 221 Hingham St., Rockland, Mass. 02370; a daughter; three grandchildren; a brother; and a sister.

Richard B. Pemstein ’51, July 9, after a three-year struggle with kidney cancer. He wrote a play, designed and built his own oceanside home, and studied and wrote about President Truman’s decision to bomb Hiroshima. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy R. Cotton ’58, 183 Commonwealth Ave., Boston 02116; two daughters, including Lisa Pemstein Krantz ’80; and two granddaughters.

Donald C. Posner ’51, of New York City; April 27. He owned Candlewood Fabrics in New York City. He is survived by his wife, three children, four grandchildren, and two brothers.

James H. Ryan ’51, of Nicholasville, Ky.; July 29, after a short illness. He was a swimming pool contractor. He is survived by his wife, Julie, six daughters, four sons, fourteen grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.

Charles Butterfield Jr. ’52, of Warwick, R.I.; Aug. 3. He practiced law for more than forty years, retiring in 1995 from the firm of Butterfield, Flaherty & Costello. He was a member of the American and Rhode Island bar associations, the American and Rhode Island trial lawyers associations, and the Rhode Island Defense Bar Association. He was past executive director and legal consultant of the Rhode Island State Nursing Home Association. He had also been legal counsel to the Rhode Island Medical Society, the Rhode Island Pharmaceutical Association, the Rhode Island Housing and Mortgage Finance Corp., and the Rhode Island Health and Educational Building Corp. He was past vice president of the Rhode Island Committee for Ethical Trade Practices, past secretary-treasurer and board member of the Rhode Island Retail Association, and former vice president of the Rhode Island Junior Chamber of Commerce. Active in local politics, he advised several Warwick mayors and was former chairman of the Warwick Democratic City Committee. He was former chairman of the Kent County Cancer Crusade and a life member of the National Cystic Fibrosis Research Foundation. An associate member of the Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 7, he was a member of the Brown Club of Rhode Island, the Brown Football Association, and the Warwick Lodge of Elks. He is survived by his wife, Kathleen, 4100 Post Rd., #3, Warwick 02886; three sons; three daughters; eight grandchildren; and two brothers.

Dorothy Finklestein Cleinman ’52, of Warwick, R.I.; Sept. 3. She was a corporate secretary at C.C. Tech Inc. for the past five years. She was previously a secretary at Cleinman & Sons and a vice president at Mirro-Brite Corp. She was a member of Temple Beth-El and the Bridge Club of Rhode Island. She is survived by her husband, David, 20 Mashuena Dr., Warwick 02888; a daughter; and a brother.

Brooks Colcord ’52, of Yarmouth, Maine; July 2, after a long illness. He retired as president of Brown Ship Chandlery in Portland, Maine, and was a trustee of the Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport, Maine. Alpha Delta Phi. He is survived by his wife, Nina, 551 Princes Point Rd., Yarmouth 04096.

Edward J. Frankiewicz ’52, of San Diego, Calif.; May 9. A retired aviator in the U.S. Navy, he served for twenty-six years and rose to the rank of commander. He was a pilot in the polar expedition led by Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd. He is survived by his wife, Betty, two daughters, a son, four grandchildren, two sisters, and two brothers.

Albert E. Nichols ’52, of Coventry, R.I.; June 13. He was retired president and treasurer of the former Ballou, Johnson, Nichols Co. He was also retired manager of the Woods Mobile Country Club in California. A U.S. Navy veteran of the Korean War, he served as a navigator-bombardier and rose to the rank of lieutenant. He was secretary of the board of Shriners Hospital in Boston and served on the board of Shriners Hospital for Children in Springfield, Mass. He was a member of the Naval Reserve Officers Corps, Harmony Lodge F&AM, and the Scottish Rite Valley of Providence, and was former commander-in-chief of the Rhode Island Consistory. He served as potentate of the Rhode Island Shriners in 1976 and was an Imperial representative. He had also been director of the Providence Court 71, Royal Order of Jester. He was founding president of the Northeast Jesters Association and served on the national committee. He is survived by a son, a daughter, and three grandchildren.

Bayard W. Bidwell ’54, of Fort Myers, Fla.; Aug. 10, after a long illness. He was owner and president of Milan Lumber Co. in Michigan until he retired in 1990. He remained actively involved with animal welfare, serving on the boards of the Humane Society in Ann Arbor, Mich., and in Lee County, Fla. He and his wife traveled extensively. After graduating from Brown he served in the U.S. Army in Germany. He is survived by his wife, Jean Schupbach Bidwell ’54, 7685 Bay Lake Dr., Fort Myers 33907; and a sister.

John F. “Fred” Pendleton ’54, of Bonita Springs, Fla.; July 30. He was manager of product safety at General Electric Plastics until he retired in 1993. He was previously director of research at Borg-Warner Europe (GE later purchased Borg-Warner). He had also been director of chemical research at Borg-Warner Corporate Laboratory in Des Plaines, Ill., and director of specialty chemicals research at Borg-Warner in Parkersburg, W.Va. He was a member of St. Leo Catholic Church and the Bonita Bay Club. At Brown he lettered in varsity football. He is survived by his wife, Jane, a son, three grandchildren, a brother, and a sister.

Robert B. Goetz ’55, of Virginia Beach, Va.; June 19. After twenty years as a U.S. Navy aviator, he became a systems analyst for various government contractors. He volunteered as a driver for the American Red Cross. He is survived by his wife, Virginia, four children, eight grandchildren, and two sisters.

Wilder G. Lucas ’55, of Norcross, Ga.; Aug. 4. At the time of his death he was a consultant in on-site wastewater issues, specializing in regulation, compliance, and legislation in Georgia and Alabama. He was a member of the Georgia task force to draw new on-site regulations, a past president of the Georgia Onsite Wastewater Association, and a member of the task force that produced the Georgia Onsite Wastewater Technical Manual. He served in the U.S. Navy and is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Morse Lucas ’56, P.O. Box 694, Norcross 30091; three daughters; and two grandsons.

Edgar A. Robinson ’55, of Dallas; April 19, of leukemia. He retired as vice president and treasurer of Exxon Corp. after thirty-eight years with the company. His assignments included three years as president of Esso Africa and four years as senior vice president and CFO of Exxon USA. A trustee emeritus of Brown, he had been on the boards of the Univ. of Chicago, the British Library in London, the Boys Club of New York, the Boys Choir of Harlem, the Greenwall Foundation of New York, the Dallas Theater Center, the Dallas Symphony, and the Vogel Alcove. He had been board president of the Dallas Zoological Society. He served in the U.S. Air Force for three years. He is survived by his wife, Ruth, 5001 Drexel Dr., Dallas 75205; a son, Jeffrey ’79; a daughter, Laurie ’83; two grandsons; and a brother. Memorial donations may be made to the Edgar A. Robinson International Scholarship Fund at Brown, which he founded.

Brianne G. Murphy ’56, of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Aug. 20, of metastatic brain cancer. An award-winning Hollywood cinematographer, she was a pioneer among women in the field. She was admitted to the cinematographers union in 1973 and was its only female member for fifteen years. In 1991 she told People that for years the union boss had told her, “You’ll get in over my dead body.” “Well,” she said, “he died.” In 1980 she became the first female director of photography invited to join the American Society of Cinematographers. That year she was also the first female director of photography on a major studio feature, Fatso. She won a Daytime Emmy Award in 1978 for best cinematography for Five Finger Discount, an NBC after-school special. She received primetime Emmy nominations for the series Breaking Away in 1981, the series Highway to Heaven in 1985, and the PBS special There Were Times, Dear in 1987. She shared an Academy Award of Merit in 1983 for the concept, design, and manufacture of a vehicle with safety features to protect film technicians while they shot close-ups of moving vehicles for action scenes. She was a founder of Women in Film, which gave her its Lucy Award for Innovation in Television in 1995. She was also a founding member of Behind the Lens. She is survived by a half-sister.

David F. Neil ’57, of Clearwater, Fla.; June 26. He was president of Orage Corp. in Clearwater and had been an officer of several financial institutions on Wall Street, including Glore, Forgan, William R. Staats Inc., and Thomson McKinnon Securities. He is survived by his wife, Louise, two daughters, and four grandchildren.

Richard Seid ’58, of Mexico City; June 26 of cancer. He was a lawyer, columnist, and political activist. After moving to Mexico in 1972, he became a well-known English-language news columnist. His opinion pieces and columns were published in the Christian Science Monitor, the News of Mexico City, and the Mexico City Times. He eventually became a Mexican citizen to earn the right to vote and to fight for the democratization of his adopted home. He monitored presidential elections for electoral fraud, worked on his wife’s congressional campaign, and was active in many civic and human rights groups. He also taught speech, ethics, and critical thinking at the Mexico City campus of the Massachusetts-based Endicott College and practiced law at Goodrich, Riquelme y Asociados. A champion table-tennis player, he is survived by his wife, Maria Victoria Llamas de Seid; a daughter, Marivi ’87, 144 Parnassus, Apt. 11, San Francisco, Calif. 94117; a son; his mother, Shirley; and a brother.

Inger Larsen Chappell ’59, of Windsor, Vt.; July 29. She was a homemaker. She had a longtime interest in Gotts Island in Bass Harbor, Maine, where she had spent summers since 1940. She supported many causes for the protection of animals. She is survived by her husband, George, two sons, and three grandchildren.

Tenold R. “Rob” Sunde ’59, of New York City; July 2, of hemochromatosis, a rare blood disorder. He retired after a long career as a broadcast news executive, producer, and educator. He joined CBS in 1968, serving as the first producer of The Osgood File. He was named assistant news director at WCBS in 1975 and took over as news director in 1982. In 1990 he was elected chairman of the 3,000-member Radio Television News Directors Association. In 1998 he was executive producer of the investigative team at WWOR-TV in Secaucus, N.J. He was also a senior editor and supervisor of daytime programming at CNBC. His first broadcasting job was for WNLK in Norwalk, Conn. He is survived by his wife, Lila Gault Sunde, a daughter, two sons, a granddaughter, and a sister.


Claire Callaghan Kelly-Zimmers ’60, of Portland, Ore.; July 4, of complications from Alzheimer’s disease. She was a professor of art history at Portland State Univ. from 1972 until she retired in 1995. She pioneered courses on women in the visual arts, focusing particularly but not exclusively on female artists from the 11th century to the contemporary era. She began her career at Northwestern in 1968, where she taught until 1971. She helped found the Portland Center for the Visual Arts and started the Northwest Artist’s Workshop. She wrote art criticism for Oregon newspapers and for Art Week. She lectured in Portland, at New York City’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, and at the Art Institute of Chicago. A modern dancer at Brown, she is survived by her husband, Jon Zimmers, 206 N.E. 24th St., Portland 97232; a son; two stepchildren; four grandchildren; and a brother.

Elizabeth Newsom Mohr ’61, of Atlanta; July 26. She worked for the Atlanta College of Art. She was previously a public information officer at the Atlanta Public Library. A published author, she spearheaded the 25th reunion for the class of ’61, setting records for attendance and fund-raising. She was on the Board of the Associated Alumni, the precursor of the Brown Alumni Association, and represented the Atlanta College of Art at Vartan Gregorian’s inaugural procession. She is survived by a son, a daughter, and two grandchildren.

Robert D. Nurenberg ’62, of Winston-Salem, N.C.; June 14. He was a senior financial planner at Met Life. He served in the U.S. Air Force and is survived by a daughter, a brother, and a niece.

Dumont G. Dempsey Jr. ’64, ’67 M.A.T., of St. Louis; July 12. He was a sculptor who apprenticed with Henry Moore in England. He is survived by his wife, Nina, a son, and two daughters.

Barbara B. Lazarus ’67, of Pittsburgh; July 15, of cancer. She was associate provost for academic affairs at Carnegie Mellon Univ., an educational anthropologist, and a nationally recognized leader in encouraging women to enter science and engineering. She started the university’s Undergraduate Research Institute and championed the Girls Math and Science Project, through which she dreamed up “Explanatoids,” short lessons explaining the science behind such things as roller coasters and curveballs. The Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., is adopting the program this fall. She won the Doherty Prize, Carnegie Mellon’s highest honor for educational contributions. She previously spent ten years directing the Center for Women’s Careers at Wellesley, where she was also director of institutional programs. While there she became codirector and the only non-Asian member of the Commission on Women & Work of the Asian Women’s Institute, organizing meetings of female scholars, government leaders, and activists on nontraditional roles for Asian women. In the early 1970s she developed materials for telephone counselors advising women who wanted to enter or reenter the workforce. She also wrote about the problems cancer survivors face in their careers. She was the coauthor or editor of several books, including Changing Lives: Life Stories of Asian Pioneers in Women’s Studies and The Woman’s Guide to Navigating the Ph.D. in Engineering and Science. She is survived by her husband, Marvin Sirbu; her parents, David and Betty; a daughter; a son; two brothers; and a sister.

Robert R. Davis ’68, of Lutherville, Md.; June 13, of pancreatic cancer. A financial planner, he worked at Donahue, Hart & Associates. He began his career at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Maryland in 1968, playing a key role developing its Maryland Dental Plan. He left in 1988 to become a planner for Lincoln Financial. A sports fan, he also enjoyed traveling, reading, and playing guitar. He is survived by his wife, Sharon; his mother, Virginia McLernon; two sons; two daughters; a granddaughter; and a sister.


Eldred G. Fowler ’73, of Florissant, Mo.; July 28, after a long illness. He was a dentist who worked mostly in public health clinics serving the poor. He began working at Pine Lawn Dental in February, after joining Grace Hill Health Center in 1996 and the People’s Health Center in 1998. He was previously a pharmacy technician. A member of the American, Missouri, and national dental associations, he was also a member of the Missouri Botanical Garden. He is survived by his wife, Pamela; his mother, Gladys Robinson; two sons; and a brother.

Elizabeth A. Britton ’76, ’77 M.A.T., of Elizabeth, N.J.; Sept. 1, 2000.

Ellen Wallace Werkhoven ’76, of Conway, S.C.; July 21, after a seven-year illness. She was a veterinarian who stopped practicing while raising her children, and with her husband a cofounder of Waccamaw Regional Veterinary Center. She was a member of the American Veterinary Medical Association. A member of Grace Presbyterian Church, she sang in the choir and was a leader in the Women of the Church. She was instrumental in establishing and supporting Conway Christian School. She is survived by her husband, Randal; her mother, Charlotte Bardwell Wallace; her father and stepmother, Sidney and Linda; three daughters; a son; a brother; and a sister.


Emil Friedlander ’90, of San Francisco; June 5. He was an award-winning Web designer, computer programmer, and multimedia producer. He developed Smash Regis, a humorous online multimedia game for the ACT Now Productions Web site; the game drew millions of visitors and was featured in USA Today and on CNN and Canadian Public Broadcasting. He spearheaded the construction and trademark of the first Internet photo booth. A musician and visual artist, he performed with Bay area rock and jazz groups. He was also a certified master neurolinguistic programming practitioner. He is survived by his mother, Lily, 886 Amsterdam Ave.., Atlanta 30306; his father, Stephen; his grandparents; and a brother.


Amanda Sallop Fenlon ’00, of Newton, Mass.; July 4. A current Brown undergraduate, she was enrolled in a summer course at the University after taking time off from her studies. She was concentrating in Old World Archaeology and Art and hoped to pursue a graduate degree in the field. She is survived by her parents, Linda Sallop and Michael Fenlon, 683 Commonwealth Ave.., Newton 02459; and a brother. Her family has set up a fund at Brown in her name.


Hermann V. Waldinger ’44 Sc.M., of New York City; July 23, of complications from Parkinson’s disease. He was a retired professor of mathematics at Polytechnic Univ. in New York City. He is survived by his wife, Renee; a son, Roger ’74; a daughter; and five grandchildren.

Rita Batastini Rolli ’47 A.M. (see ’46).

Charles W. Crook ’49 Sc.M.; of Fayetteville, Ark.; June 17, 2002.

Edward F. Moore ’50 Ph.D., of Madison, Wis.; June 14. He was a professor of mathematics and computer science at the Univ. of Wisconsin from 1966 to 1985, when he retired. From 1951 to 1966 he worked at Bell Labs. From 1950 to 1951 he worked on the electronic computer project Iliac at the Univ. of Illinois at Urbana. He served as a visiting professor at MIT and as a visiting lecturer at Harvard in 1961–62. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he was active in the First Baptist Church, the local branch of the National Speleological Society, and Bat Conservation International. He was an avid genealogist. He is survived by his wife, Elinor, three daughters, three grandsons, a sister, and two brothers.

Eva Neumann ’50 Sc.M. (see ’48).

Frederick H. Mies ’61 Ph.D., of Potomac, Md.; June 17, of central nervous system lymphoma. He worked for what became the National Institute of Standards and Technology for thirty-six years, retiring in 1997 as a research physicist in the atomic physics division. He did contract work for the institute until his death, contributing to theories on atomic and molecular collisions and spectroscopy. His work had practical applications to atmospheric and astrophysical phenomena, high-intensity lasers, and ultra-cold quantum gases. He received the U.S. commerce department’s bronze and silver medals and was a fellow of the American Physical Society. He was a U.S. Air Force veteran of the Korean War. Former president of the Potomac and Brookside bonsai associations, he volunteered at the National Arboretum in Washington, D.C. In recent years he obtained a pilot’s license and was a member of the Takoma–Silver Spring (Md.) Flying Club. He also enjoyed photography and bowling. He is survived by his wife, Violet, 11712 Smoketree Rd., Potomac 20854; two daughters; a son; five grandchildren; and two sisters.

Alma S. Boutin ’62 A.M., of Providence; Aug. 7. She retired after twenty-five years as a professor of modern languages at the Community College of Rhode Island. She had also taught Italian at Brown and at RISD. She received the Gulbenkian Award in 1974 to study Portuguese in Lisbon. She is survived by a son, two daughters, and three grandchildren.

Alan B. Coppens ’65 Ph.D., of Black Mountain, N.C.; July 20. He taught physics for thirty years at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif. After retiring in 1994, he volunteered in physics and acoustics at Warren Wilson College in North Carolina. He coauthored the college textbook Fundamentals of Acoustics and wrote articles on sound waves, amplification, and acoustics. Active in local theater in Monterey and Carmel, Calif., he starred in productions of plays by Molière and Shakespeare. He was an elected fellow of the Acoustical Society of America. A former member of the Rhode Island Civic Chorale, he was also an accomplished equestrian. He is survived by his wife, Linda, a daughter, a son, two stepdaughters, seven grandchildren, and a brother.

Dumont G. Dempsey Jr. ’67 M.A.T. (see ’64).

Anne Robb Taylor ’68 Ph.D., of Superior, Wis.; July 19. She was an associate professor of English at Wisconsin State Univ. at Superior until she retired in 1983. She later taught at the College of St. Scholastica in Minnesota. She taught school in California until 1944, when she enlisted as a WAVE, serving in Washington D.C. She was a member of St. Andrews-by-the-Lake Episcopal Church, the Society of the Companions of the Holy Cross, and the Friday Club. She is survived by two sisters and a brother.

Elizabeth A. Britton ’77 M.A.T. (see ’76).

Karl H. Kjendal ’97 A.M., of Kingston, N.Y.; June 10, after a long illness. He was pastor of Good Shepherd Evangelical Church in Hurley, N.Y. Ordained in 2001, he was a U.S. Naval Reserve chaplain until he went on medical leave. He is survived by his wife, Sarah; two daughters; his parents, Roy and Sara; his four grandparents; a sister; and two brothers.


Anthony Houghton, of Barrington, R.I.; Aug. 2. A professor emeritus of physics, he retired from regular teaching in 2002 but remained active in research until his death. He joined the faculty in 1963 as an assistant professor of physics and became a full professor in 1971. He served as department chair from 1992 to 1998. He authored more than ninety papers on problems of condensed-matter physics, including superconductivity, interacting electrons, disorders, and critical phenomena. In a well-known collaboration with Franz Wegner, he made an important early contribution to renormalization group theory. A fellow of the American Physical Society and a Humboldt fellow, he served as a visiting professor at many European and American institutions, including Oxford, the Norges Tekniske Hogskole, the Univ. of Sussex, the Univ. of Manchester, the Univ. of Heidelberg, Imperial College London, and UC San Diego. He held Science Research Council fellowships at the universities of Manchester and Sussex and at Imperial College London. He received the Alexander von Humboldt Senior Scientist Award at the Univ. of Heidelberg. A distinguished teacher, he taught courses ranging from large premed physics lectures to specialized graduate classes in advanced statistical mechanics and quantum many-body theory. His numerous Ph.D. students went on to productive careers in condensed matter physics. He also became a mentor to junior faculty members and served on University committees. He is survived by his wife, Patricia, a sister, and two nephews.

What do you think?
See what other readers are saying about this article and add your voice. 
Related Issue
November / December 2003