April 28th, 2007


Charlotte West Strickland ’24, of Philadelphia; Jan. 6, 2004.

Abraham R. Goldman ’26, of St. Petersburg, Fla.; Jan. 26. A lawyer, he is survived by his wife, Leah.

Dorothy Vanderburgh Waterman ’27, of Rochester, N.Y.; March 18, 2004.

Doris Seagrave Warren ’29, of East Providence; Feb. 25. She was a social worker at Rhode Island Hospital for twenty-five years. A member of Warren (R.I.) Baptist Church and the Order of the Eastern Star in Riverside, R.I., she is survived by a daughter, a son, four grandchildren, and ten great-grandchildren.


Alvah W. Bearse ’30, of Hyannis, Mass.; April 7. A teacher and accountant, he ran for public office in Michigan. He authored Physic Point about his early life in Hyannis. A member of the Howard Lodge in South Yarmouth, Mass., he is survived by his wife, Connie, three daughters, three sons, ten grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and a brother.

Dorothy A. Hill ’30, ’58 AM, of Rumford, R.I.; April 1, of illnesses related to Alzheimer’s disease. She worked at Brown’s John Hay Library from 1965 to 1974. She previously taught English at East Providence High School from 1932 to 1965. A volunteer at the Providence Athenaeum, she was active in the Handicraft Club in Providence and enjoyed traveling. She is survived by a sister, Ruth Hill Hartenau ’28, ’29 AM, and nephews including Christopher Hartenau ’69.

Abraham Silverman ’30, of Sarasota, Fla.; March 8. He was a social worker until he retired in 1974. He is survived by two daughters, a sister, a brother, and four grandchildren.

Harold I. Smith ’30, of Santa Barbara, Calif.; Jan. 12, 2001.

John M. Moler ’31, of Lakewood, Colo.; March 21. He was assistant village manager of Downers Grove, Ill., until he retired in 1976. He was earlier a general agent in the passenger department at the Rock Island Railroad until 1967, when passenger operations were shut down. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he served in England, France, Germany, and Czechoslovakia. Before the war he taught German at Columbia Univ. He is survived by a daughter, two sons, four grandsons, and a great-grandson.

Beatrice R. Silverstein ’32, of Westerly, R.I.; March 22. She was a Latin, English, and French teacher at Stonington (Conn.) High School for thirty years. She was also a guidance counselor and an adviser to the National Honor Society. During World War II she served in a women’s civil preparedness group, giving instructions in evacuation procedures, first aid, minor vehicle repair, and watching for enemy planes. She has no immediate survivors.

Gardiner M. Williams ’32, of Warwick, R.I.; April 12. A civil engineer, he worked at B.I.F. Industries until he retired in 1970. He was a Boy Scout leader. He is survived by a grandson, two granddaughters, and two great-grandchildren.

Marjorie Daw Morrissey ’34, of Worcester, Mass.; March 19. She was a middle and high school teacher in the Worcester public schools for twenty-two years until she retired in 1983. She was a member of Our Lady of the Rosary Parish and was active in Pembroke and Brown alumni clubs. A longtime Boston Red Sox fan, she is survived by a daughter, three sons, fifteen grandchildren, several great-grandchildren, a brother, and a sister, Dorothy Daw Powers ’40.

Stedman W. Smith ’36, of Sunderland, Md.; Oct. 14, 2002. He was an obstetrician and gynecologist for more than fifty years at Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Maryland. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he served in the Pacific Theater.

Gordon W. Smithson Sr. ’36, of North Attleboro, Mass.; April 25. He owned and operated Radio Shack in Westerly, R.I., for ten years until he retired. He was earlier vice president and chief engineer at Potter & Johnston. A member of the Providence Engineering Society, he is survived by two daughters, fourteen grandchildren, twenty-five great-grandchildren, and three great-great-grandchildren.

Melville G. Farber ’37, of Green Valley, Ariz.; Feb. 2. He was an engineer. A member of the Green Valley Masonic Lodge and the Shriners, he is survived by his wife, Eva.

Margaret Boyd Smead ’37, of Nashville, Tenn.; March 29. She volunteered with the Vanderbilt Univ. Hospital Auxiliary and served one term as president of the Friends of Cheekwood. She is survived by a son, a granddaughter, and two great-grandchildren.

Frances Cobb Hill ’38, of East Haddam, Conn.; Oct. 29. She was a retired occupational therapist at Connecticut Valley Hospital. She served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. A member of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, she is survived by a stepson, three stepdaughters, four step-grandchildren, and five step-great-grandchildren.

George R. Pierce ’38, of Lake Forest, Calif.; April 16, of complications from Alzheimer’s disease. A former sales representative at American Airlines, he is survived by three sons and seven grandchildren.

Darthea Hess Tunnicliffe ’38, of Medford, Ore.; Feb. 16.

Arthur R. Musschoot ’39, of Wheaton, Ill.; Dec. 18. A retired attorney, he is survived by two daughters, eight grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Mary Veach Wurzel ’39, Alexandria, Va.; April 19, of heart failure. A homemaker, she volunteered for many years with EX-POSE, helping U.S. Navy dependents, and as a Navy Arlington Lady comforting families at military funerals. She was a docent at the Kennedy Center and a volunteer at Alexandria Hospital. She also lobbied the U.S. Congress for passage of legislation. She is survived by five sons, including Don, 1788 Rampart Dr., Alexandria 22308, and David ’70; and seven grandchildren.


Alex F. Black ’40, of Bethesda, Md.; May 15, of pneumonia. He was a motion picture executive at Universal and MCA in New York City until he retired in 1982. He created scores of crossword puzzles as a freelancer for the New York Times and the Washington Post Magazine. His puzzles were also included in several book-length collections. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II in the Atlantic and Pacific theaters. He enjoyed writing, reading, and going to museums and the theater. He is survived by his wife, Irene, a daughter, a son, and a grandson.

Shirley Hine Anderson ’41, of Venice, Fla.; May 18, of a stroke. She was director of the Wenham Village Improvement Society from 1970 until she retired in 1990. She enjoyed gardening, skiing, reading, and playing tennis and bridge. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by a son, two daughters, and two grandchildren.

Ruth W. Harris ’41, of Ann Arbor, Mich.; May 27. She was a professor of kinesiology at the Univ. of Michigan for forty-three years. She was the first female board chairman of the Washtenaw County Red Cross. The National Red Cross awarded her its highest award for volunteer service in 1995. For twenty summers she was director of the Jackson Memorial Camp for Children. She enjoyed drawing and swimming and had an award-winning garden. A longtime supporter of Brown, she is survived by two brothers, including Walter ’35; and her friend and housemate of fifty years, Joan Farrell.

Robert A. Tourigney ’41, of Woodlands, Tex.; June 2. He was founder, vicar, and rector of St. Francis Episcopal Church in Palos Verdes Estates, Calif., from 1951 to 1987. He was previously assistant rector at St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church in San Mateo, Calif.; assistant rector at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Ann Arbor, Mich.; and director of the youth diocese of Los Angeles. He is survived by his wife, Helen Tasman Tourigney ’41.

Howard M. Arnold Jr. ’42, of Scituate, R.I.; March 10. He was former president of Gladding’s Inc. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he was a past deacon and sixty-year member of North Scituate Baptist Church. He grew prize dahlias. He is survived by his wife, Claire, a son, two daughters, four grandchildren, and a sister.

James A. Phelan ’42, of Litchfield, Conn.; April 5. He was an engineer in charge of Northwestern Community College in Waterbury, Conn., until he retired in 1992. He was earlier an engineer at B. F. Goodrich, A. W. Haydon, and North American Philips. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II, primarily in the Pacific Theater. He was vice president of the Junior Chamber of Commerce of Waterbury and a member of the board of education and the planning and zoning commissions in Morris, Conn. He is survived by six sons, four daughters, nine grandchildren, and a great-granddaughter.

Longin P. Diakow ’43, of Derby, Conn.; March 2. He was a retired chemist at Uniroyal Co. He earlier worked at the former Bradley Semiconductor Co. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II in Germany. A member and deacon of the Second Congregational Church of Derby, he was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He is survived by three cousins.

Robert P. Fisler ’43, of Newburyport, Mass.; April 10. The obituary in the July/August BAM should have said he flew the China-Burma-India Hump in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II and was a member of the Hump Pilot Association. In addition, his correct job title was corporate vice president at Time Inc.

John B. Harcourt ’43, ’52 PhD, of Ithaca, N.Y.; April 17. The obituary in the July/ August BAM misspelled the maiden name of his wife, Mary Ellen Trueb Harcourt ’47, ’49 A.M. In addition, the obituary should have said he was a charter member and former president of the Ithaca College chapter of Phi Kappa Phi. He was also a member of the Brown chapter of Phi Beta Kappa.

Priscilla Thomas Patterson ’44, of Jamestown, R.I.; May 14, of cancer. A homemaker, she enjoyed antiquing, collecting art, home decorating, and entertaining. She is survived by two daughters, including Rula Patterson Shore ’67, 634 Cedar Ave., East Greenwich, R.I. 02818; three sons; a brother; and two grandchildren. She was the wife of the late Irving ’42.

Clifton A. Capwell ’45, of Warwick, R.I.; March 6, of heart problems. He was self-employed in real estate sales for sixty years. He served in the U.S. Army in Italy during World War II. He is survived by nephews and nieces including Carolyn Capwell Gammell ’52, 465 North Ln., Bristol, R.I. 02809.

William J. Bakrow ’46, of Rockport, Mass.; March 18. He was president emeritus of St. Ambrose Univ., where under his leadership the student body increased from 1,000 to about 3,000. He was earlier interim president of Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, Mass. He worked in administration at the Univ. of Buffalo and as executive director at the Motorola Executive Institute in Tucson, Ariz. He had also been a reporter at the Knickerbocker News in Albany, N.Y., and at the United Press International bureau in Manila, Philippines. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. A member of the Rotary Club and many municipal boards, he enjoyed fishing, reading, playing tennis, and studying Greek history. He is survived by a daughter, two sons, and six grandchildren.

Robert M. Brennan ’46, of Columbia City, Ind.; Sept. 8, 2002.

George L. deWolf ’46, of Loudon, Tenn.; March 5. He worked at the National Cash Register Co. in Ithaca, N.Y., for twenty years. He previously earned four patents while at General Electric. Active in the First Presbyterian Church in Lenoir City, Tenn., and the First Baptist Church of Tellico Village, he is survived by his wife, Ida May, a daughter, two sons, eight grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, and two brothers.

Donald G. Lester ’46, of Grand Rapids, Mich.; June 12, of respiratory failure. He was former pastor of Westminster Presbyterian Church. He earlier served in Sharon, Pa.; Canton, Ohio; Wheeling, W.Va.; Grand Rapids, Mich.; and Harrisburg, Pa. He had also been executive presbyter of the Detroit Presbytery and head of the evangelism staff of the Presbyterian Church of New York. He was a trustee of Davis and Elkins College and McCormick Theological Seminary. He led Christian tours, spoke at seminaries, and wrote articles on evangelism. Active in the World Council of Churches, he participated in the first World Consultation on Evangelism and chaired the North American study on the missionary structure of the local congregation. He was key in forming Porter Hills Presbyterian Village, the Westminster Child Development Center, the Christian Community Counseling Center, Bridge for Runaways, GRACE Ecumenical Center, and several inner-city programs. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he is survived by his wife, Elaine, a son, three daughters, fifteen grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, two sisters, and a brother.

John T. Burroughs ’47, of San Diego, Calif.; Nov. 10. A medical lawyer for twenty years, he was previously a surgeon who played a role in developing the heart-lung machine, CPR, and open-heart and coronary-bypass surgery. He specialized in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery until 1976, when an inherent tremor ended his career. As a lawyer he wrote hundreds of papers and book chapters and gave many lectures and seminars. A U.S. Navy veteran of the Korean War, he served as a surgeon with the First Marine division along the Seoul Corridor. He is survived by his wife, Laverne, and a son.

Marjorie Stephens Banks ’48, of Akron, Ohio; April 28. She was a social worker for twenty years for the state of Rhode Island. She served on the board of the Newport, R.I., chapter of the Visiting Nurse Association. She earlier taught at St. Vincent Girls High School. She was active in Newport’s Community Baptist Church and Shiloh Baptist Church, where she was choir director. She was a member of the American Association of Univ. Women and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. She is survived by a son, two daughters, including Martha ’73, a sister, and three grandchildren.

Donald J. Davidson ’49, of Cumberland, R.I.; Jan. 31, of pneumonia related to Parkinson’s disease. He was an engineering manager at Texas Instruments from 1955 until he retired in 1990. He earlier worked at Gorham Manufacturing Co. and Grinnell Corp. He served in the Office of Strategic Service during World War II and in the U.S. Army Security Agency during the Korean War, retiring as a major. A member of Calvin Presbyterian Church and the Blackstone Valley Historical Society, he was on the boards of the Narragansett Council of the Boy Scouts and the North Attleboro (Mass.) Historical Society. He received several Boy Scouts awards. He was also a member of the AARP and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He enjoyed the outdoors and is survived by his wife, Alice, three sons, two daughters, and seven grandchildren.

Robert Kirschenbaum ’49, of Boynton Beach, Fla.; April 16. He was a leader in the moving and storage industry for more than fifty years as an executive and president of Neptune World Wide Moving. He was on the boards of Goodwill Industries of Palm Beach County, Fla., and the Palm Beach County Board of Realtors. He enjoyed golfing. He is survived by his wife, Harriet; two sons, Ben ’76 and Roger ’78; and a daughter.


Richard W. Brackett ’50, of Eaton Center, N.H.; April 8. He retired as branch manager of the AMICA Insurance office in Blue Bell, Pa., after thirty-nine years with the firm. He was a member of the local chamber of commerce, Red Cross, and YMCA. A Rotarian, he was a club president in Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. He was active in several choral groups. He is survived by his wife, Barbara, P.O. Box 8, Eaton Center 03832; a daughter, Cynthia Brackett Mekler ’80; and a son.

Benton B. Byers Jr. ’50, of Duluth, Minn.; Apr. 9, unexpectedly. He founded Byers Co., which sold insurance. He was a volunteer at St. Luke’s Hospital and a mentor in the Grant School reading program. A U.S. Army veteran of the Korean War, he attained the rank of sergeant. He was a member of the Kiwanis Club, Round Lake Duck Camp, Kitchi Gammi Club, and Lakeside Presbyterian Church. He enjoyed hunting, golfing, and reading Shakespeare. He is survived by his wife, Phyllis Grover Byers ’50, three children, five grandchildren, and a sister.

Richard W. Clark ’50, of Plymouth, Mass.; April 14, after a long illness. He was founder and president of the investment management firm Clark & Gianatasio until he retired in 1998. He began his banking and investment career at Chase Bank in New York City, later serving as chief investment officer of the New York State teachers’ retirement system. He founded several investment management firms in New York and Boston. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he fought in the landing at Utah Beach in Normandy. A sailor, he built a thirty-foot sloop in his back yard. He is survived by three sons, three daughters, eleven grandchildren, and two sisters.

Arthur F. Clarke Jr. ’50, of Hopatcong, N.J.; March 18. He designed computer hardware for the auto and machine tool industries until he retired in 1987. He earlier worked in the aerospace industry. He served in the U.S. Navy on the destroyer Haraden during World War II. He was a lifetime member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and served as post commander in Cedar Grove, N.J. He was a member of American Legion Post 245. He is survived by his wife, Regina, two sons, three grandchildren, and a sister.

William C. Coyne ’50, of Marshfield, Mass.; April 7. He was a retired manufacturer’s representative. He is survived by his wife, Phyllis, two daughters, and four grandchildren.

David W. Hart ’50, of West Greenwich, R.I.; July 28, 2004.

Russell E. Hutton ’50, of Barrington, R.I.; April 7. He was an investment adviser at Advest. He previously worked at BFI Industries and Nicholson File Co. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. A former deacon and moderator of Barrington Congregational Church, he established the Blood Donor Program in 1960. He is survived by his wife, Sheila, a daughter, a son, four grandchildren, and a brother.

Christine Shearer Wilson ’50, of Annapolis, Md.; May 31, of a stroke. She worked at the Center for Human Nutrition at Johns Hopkins Univ. She helped develop the discipline of nutritional anthropology, which studies eating habits. She edited Ecology of Food and Nutrition for more than two decades and organized national and international conferences. She previously worked at a federal agency involved in biological warfare, as a research assistant in the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health, and as assistant editor of Nutrition Reviews. She was also a nutritional analyst at the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a publications editor and technical writer in the U.S. Public Health Service, and a research nutritionist in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. She lived in a hut for two years while researching food beliefs and practices on the Malay Peninsula; she became a world authority on Malay food habits. She held positions with the Food Research Institute at Stanford and taught nutritional anthropology, epidemiology, and international health at several universities. She received the Martin Luther King Jr. Drum Major Award from the Anne Arundel (Md.) County Economic Opportunity Committee for her work on nutrition issues affecting Head Start. She was an Overseas Fellow of the Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland in 2003. The author of books, book chapters, and monographs, she was an active member of the American Anthropological Association. She is survived by two brothers.

Harlan J. Ford ’51, of Harwinton, Conn.; April 13. He was an insurance salesman and also worked in municipal pensions. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he is survived by his wife, Joan, and a sister.

G. Earle Michaud ’51, of Scituate, Mass.; April 21, of congestive heart failure. He owned George H. Dean Printing Co. in Braintree, Mass. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he was a founding member and past commodore of the Blue Water Sailing Club and a member of the Scituate Harbor Yacht Club, the Scituate Boat Club, and Scituate Masonic Lodge. He was a sailor, skier, horticulturalist, and hockey fan. Theta Delta Chi. He is survived by his wife, Patricia Chase Michaud ’53, 184 Edward Foster Rd., Scituate 02066, two sons, two daughters, and seven grandchildren.

Robert Schueler ’51, of Midlothian, Va.; April 22. A retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps, he served for twenty-six years, primarily as an artilleryman, and fought in the Korean and Vietnam wars. He was also proficient in naval gunfire support, logistics, and military intelligence. He retired in 1972, then became an EMT with the Forest View Rescue Squad. Active in his church, he enjoyed reading and gardening and was a Washington Redskins fan. He is survived by his wife, Madeline, five children, eleven grandchildren, and a brother.

Fred E. Cram ’53, of Cheshire, Conn.; March 24. He was a social worker for more than forty-four years, primarily at Family and Children’s Services of New London, Conn., and the V.A. Medical Center of West Haven, Conn. He served in the U.S. Army as a radio operator in Germany during World War II. A bridge player, he is survived by two daughters, a stepson, three grandchildren, and a step-granddaughter.

Herbert J. Lushan ’52 of Newton, Mass.; Feb. 5. He was retired president of Herbert Lushan Plastics. He is survived by his wife, Barbara, three daughters, and eight grandchildren.

William F. Sammartino ’53, of East Greenwich, R.I.; May 12. He was a neurosurgeon in Rhode Island for thirty-five years, retiring in 2003. A member of the American Medical Association and the Rhode Island Medical Society, he was past president and a permanent board member of the Aurora Civic Association. He was a member of the Kirkbrae, Warwick, and Skyline country clubs. A lifelong New York Yankees fan, he enjoyed reading, golfing, and solving crossword puzzles. He is survived by his wife, Joan Chiappinelli Sammartino ’54; two sons, including Wayne ’80; and two grandchildren.

Robert L. Funsten ’54, of La Jolla, Calif., and South Dartmouth, Mass.; April 1. His principal interest for many years was in the Honomalino Agricultural Co., a Hawaiian firm that grows and processes macadamia nuts and other agricultural products. He also bought and sold quarter horses in Hawaii, Argentina, and Brazil. A U.S. Army veteran, he served in intelligence in West Germany during the 1950s. He is survived by a sister and a brother.

Frank C. Whitney ’54, of Black Hawk, S.Dak.; April 6. He was director of engineering at Southern Minnesota Municipal Power Agency from 1983 until he retired in 1997. He was previously an electrical engineer at electrical power agencies in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Michigan, and Nebraska. He was a fighter pilot in the U.S. Navy before serving fifteen years in the Naval Reserve. He was a member of the Society for the Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America was active in the Shrine of Democracy Barbershop Chorus. A member of Grace United Methodist Church and Piedmont American Legion Post 311, he is survived by his wife, Shirley, a son, two daughters, eight grandchildren, and two brothers, including C. Mansfield Whitney ’54.

Sally Kingman Beal ’55, of Jackson, N.H.; March 11. An artist, she specialized in metal plate etching and watercolor painting. She was also an accomplished Alpine skier. She is survived by her husband, William, four sons, six grandchildren, a brother, and a sister, Deborah Kingman Ormsby.

James R. Funck ’55, of Halifax, Pa.; March 28, after a struggle with colon cancer. He was a U.S. Navy aviator for twenty-six years, receiving the Meritorious Service Medal in 1980. After retiring he was a consultant at the Pentagon and at H&R Block. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, and birding. A volunteer with the Pennsylvania Forest Stewardship Program, he was financial secretary of the Carsonville Volunteer Fire Co. and a member of the Naval Retired Officers Association, the American Legion, the National Rifle Association, the National Audubon Society, the National Wild Turkey Federation, the Pennsylvania Wildlife Federation, the Ned Smith Center for Nature and Art, and the Hawk Mountain Broadwing Club. He is survived by a daughter, a son, and four grandchildren.

Richard J. Hildreth ’55, of Stuart, Fla.; Oct. 25. He worked at IBM for more than thirty years, retiring in 1984. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. A member of the Chelsea (N.Y.) Yacht Club, he was a Lightning racer for many years. He is survived by two daughters and a companion.

Ralph L. Lary Jr. ’55, Martinsburg, W.Va.; March 25, after a long struggle with multiple sclerosis. He was a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps, where he helped develop tactical data systems that interfaced with weapons-control and air-defense systems of NATO allies. He was operations officer of Marine Corps Air Control Squadron IV in Vietnam from 1967 to 1968, implementing the first ground-based automated air-command-and-control system in U.S. history. After retiring he became an investment broker and financial planner at Legg Mason in the Washington, D.C., area, until he retired in 1979. He was active in the Managed Forest Program in Maryland. He is survived by his wife, Audrey, a daughter, a son, four grandchildren, and a sister.

Jonathan S. Tryon ’55, of Barrington, R.I., and Rockport, Mass.; May 21, of cancer. He was a professor emeritus of library science at URI, where he’d worked for more than three decades. He served for many years as director of the Graduate Library School there. He wrote many articles for library journals and authored a book, The Librarian’s Legal Companion. A lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy and the Naval Reserves, he was a longtime member of the ACLU, the Intellectual Freedom Committee of the Rhode Island Library Association, and the American Library Association. He is survived by his wife, Jean; two sons, including Stephen ’76; a daughter; four grandsons; and a step-granddaughter.

Evans Diamond ’56, of Pleasant Hill, Calif., April 26. A neurologist, he served in the U.S. Navy at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., where he was instrumental in starting a residency training program in neurology, and at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, where he was chief of neurology from 1975 to 1988. He was active in the San Diego Neurology Society and served on the adjunct medical faculty at UC San Diego . After retiring he became chief of neurology at Cigna Health Plans of California in Los Angeles until he developed a brain tumor and an atypical Parkinson’s syndrome. Active in the Brown Club of San Diego, he interviewed prospective Brown students. His family hosted three foreign exchange students. He is survived by his wife, Betty, 2248 Lisa Ln., Pleasant Hill 94523; three daughters; and a granddaughter.

Harold I. Kessler ’56, of Cranston, R.I.; April 2. He was a partner in the law firm of Friedman and Kessler for forty-five years. He is survived by his wife, Carolyn, and two daughters.

Judith Preston Kimball ’56, of Redding, Conn.; April 21. She worked at General Electric in Pittsfield, Mass., on the design and development of the Polaris missile project. A community volunteer, she was active in church and civic groups. She is survived by her husband, Charles; two sons, including Jeffrey ’86; and three grandchildren.

Paul B. Franz ’57, of Key Largo, Fla.; May 30, He was a 767 captain at United Airlines. He was earlier a pilot at Pan American World Airlines. A fighter pilot in the U.S. Air Force, he served in Vietnam, flying 100 missions over North Vietnam. After twenty-eight years of military service, including nineteen in the Air National Guard, he retired with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He is survived by his wife, Lane, his mother, Doris, five children, and nine grandchildren.

Granvil C. Kyker Jr. ’59, of Indianapolis; March 9. He was a professor of physics at Rose Hulman Institute for twenty years. A member of the American Association of Physics Teachers, he belonged to the Banks of the Wabash Barbershop Chorus, the Shades of Gray Barbershop Quartet, the Terre Haute (Ind.) Choral Society, and the Bridge Club of Terre Haute. He is survived by two daughters; five grandchildren; his former wife, Penelope Reynolds Kyker ’59; and a sister.


David V. Walles ’61, of South China, Maine; Jan. 28, after a brief illness. After serving as an officer in the U.S. Navy, he spent most of his career as a writer in the advertising business and as an owner and manager of a small agency in Portland, Maine. He is survived by two sons and a daughter.

Judith Feist Reggie ’62, of Millersville, Md.; Aug. 23, 2004.

Judith Skeist Goodman ’64, of Quincy, Mass.; April 22, of lymphoma. She was a GED teacher for two years at the Quincy Community Action Program. She was earlier a mentor to Dorchester students studying for the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System test. She had also been a technical editor at PictureTel and Prime Computer, and an editor at Daedalus. She was a member of the Society for Technical Communication. She enjoyed listening to classical music. She is survived by her husband, Ronald, 68 Sea Ave., Quincy 02169; her mother, Dorothy; a son; a daughter, Sarah ’95; a granddaughter; two sisters; and a brother.

Susan Rafferty Magri ’65, of Capon Bridge, W.Va.. She is survived by her husband, Frank; her parents, William and Elizabeth; a daughter; a son; and two sisters.

Joseph D. Zamore ’66, of Concord, Ohio; June 5, of lymphoma. An attorney, he was a partner of Zamore & Sprague. He was earlier founder and president of Telewave Systems Inc. from 1981 to 1986. While in law school at Columbia Univ., he was on the team that negotiated the resolution of the student strike in 1968. He was a founding member of the Kol HaLev Jewish Community, past chairman of the Northern Ohio Brown Alumni Schools Committee, and past chairman of the litigation section of the American Bar Association. He was also a member of the Ohio Democratic Party. He received the Going the Distance Award from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Exactly a year before he died, he rode 100 miles around Lake Tahoe. He is survived by his wife, Fran; a son, Michael ’93; two daughters, including Rachel ’95; two grandsons; and a sister.

Thomas A. Stranko ’67, of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; March 4, of a heart attack while skiing in Utah. He was a project manager for thirty-six years at IBM in Poughkeepsie. At Brown he played football, was a lacrosse All-American, and coached the freshman lacrosse team, leading it to an undefeated season. He was inducted to the Brown All-Millennia Team. He enjoyed biking, running, and skiing. He is survived by his father, Michael, his former wife, two sons, a brother, and a granddaughter.


Susan M. Casey ’75, of Annandale, Va.; May 8, of breast cancer. She was a partner in the law firm of Kirkpatrick and Lockhart in Washington, D.C., for nineteen years. She enjoyed traveling, reading, and Roman mosaics. She is survived by her husband, Jerome S. Bush ’75, 3710 Annandale Rd., Annandale 22003; a brother; and two sisters, including Mary Ellen ’77. She was a daughter of the late Irving ’42.


Ronna Alintuck ’80, of Cape Coral, Fla., May 20, in an automobile accident. She is survived by her parents, Charlotte and Arthur, two sisters, and a brother.


Richard Q. Whelan Jr. ’04, of Merion Station, Pa.; Jan. 11, in his sleep. A member of the lacrosse team at Brown, he is survived by his parents, Richard and Virginia, two siblings, and his grandparents, John and Sally Jarvis and Albert and Ida Whelan.


Gilman S. Hooper ’33 PhD, of Altoona, Fla.; March 19. He was a retired vice president of research at Milliken Research Corp. A pioneer in textile research, he previously worked at Industrial Rayon and DuPont. He was board chairman and founding executive director of the Charles Lea Center for Rehabilitation and Special Education. Under his tenure the center added vocational programs, classes for children with autism, and an infant and early-childhood program. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by a son, three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Vincent J. Collins ’38 ScM, of Winnetka, Ill.; April 4, of complications from pneumonia. He was professor emeritus of medicine at Northwestern Univ. and the Univ. of Illinois at Chicago. A pioneer in the field of anesthesiology, he was the first head of the anesthesiology department at Cook County Hospital. He wrote Principles of Anesthesiology, considered the core textbook in the field. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps and wrote an instruction book for the army on anesthesiology. He was also a pioneer in the 1960s in the field of respiratory therapy. He is survived by his wife, Florence, four sons, four daughters, and eleven grandchildren.

Bernard Epstein ’47 PhD, of Silver Spring, Md.; March 30, of complications from Alzheimer’s disease. He taught at the Univ. of New Mexico from 1963 until he retired in 1984. He was earlier a physicist on the Manhattan Project. He is survived by his wife, Florence, five children, and sixteen grandchildren.

Theodore L. Fawcett ’48 ScM, of West Grove, Pa.; Sept. 30, 2003.

Bette Daneman Fox ’49 AM, of Black Mountain, N.C.; March 2. She worked at Akron Univ., James Madison Univ., and Eastern Kentucky Univ. until she retired in 1991. A Fulbright Scholar in 1984, she spent a semester in Bulgaria. Her dissertation research on women in the Soviet Union took her to Moscow, making her one of the first American scholars to study women in the USSR. She previously worked at the state department in Washington, D.C., and at the United Nations in New York City. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by two sons and a brother.

Alexander V. Prisley ’66 PhD, of Athens, Ohio; April 7, after a long illness. An associate professor of political science at Ohio Univ., he spent most of his adult life working for Democratic candidates. He also served as a member of the Ohio Elections Commission when it was organized in 1974. In 1983 he was appointed to the Athens County Board of Elections. A leader in the Ohio Election Officials Association, he received the Athens County Democratic Party Lifetime Achievement Award in 1999. He was previously a surety underwriter at USF&G in Cleveland. He is survived by his wife, Joanne, a son, and a sister.

Dorothy C. O’Reilly ’66 MAT, of Providence; March 15. She taught in the Providence public schools for eighteen years until she retired in 1980. She was earlier an architect in Boston at CE Maguire Co. and James H. Ritchie Co. She served as a civilian employee in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers during World War II. A member of the Art Teachers of Rhode Island, the Providence Art Club, the Brown Faculty Club and the RISD Museum, she was a communicant of St. Sebastian Church. She is survived by a niece.

George B. Wolfenden Sr. ’70 AM, of Duxbury, Mass.; April 2. He was founding headmaster of Tampa Preparatory School. He earlier expanded his family’s wholesale grocery business into a major wholesale-retail enterprise in Indiana County, Pa. He also managed the acquisition and disposition of overseas church properties for the Presbyterian Church at the Interchurch Center in New York City and worked as a history teacher and housemaster at Milton Academy. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II and the Korean War, he is survived by his wife, Carol Langford, two sons, two daughters, six grandchildren, and a brother.

Christina E. Sorum ’75 PhD, of Schenectady, N.Y.; May 16, of cardiac arrest. She was dean of the faculty, vice president for academic affairs, and the Frank Bailey Professor of Classics at Union College. She chaired the college’s classics department for many years and served as the dean of arts and sciences from 1994 to 1999. She wrote articles on Greek tragedy, was a prize-winning teacher, and was a nationally recognized advocate of liberal arts education. She previously started the classics program at North Carolina State Univ. in 1975. She is survived by her husband, Paul, a daughter, a brother.

Timothy M. Markell ’75 AM, of Las Vegas; March 18. A computer software engineer, he is survived by his former wife and a brother.

What do you think?
See what other readers are saying about this article and add your voice. 
Related Issue
September / October 2005