By The Editors / September / October 2004
June 15th, 2007
Survivors and friends of the deceased can help by completing the obituary form at or by sending information to Obituaries, Brown Alumni Magazine, Box 1854, Providence, R.I. 02912; by fax to (401) 863-9599; or by e-mail to alumni_ magazine@ To contact the editors, call (401) 863-2873. The deadline for the November/December issue is September 1, and the deadline for the January/February issue is November 1.



Mary Emerson Young Sweet ’27, of Atlantic Beach, Fla.; May 28. A teacher for many years, she was a member of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church in Warwick, R.I. She is survived by a daughter, two stepsons, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She was the wife of the late Theodore ’22.

Violet E. Kettelle ’28, of South Kingstown, R.I.; June 4. She taught science and math at North Bennington (Vt.) High School and was the guidance director at Montpelier (Vt.) High School before retiring in 1969. She earlier taught science at East Greenwich (R.I.) Academy and East Greenwich Junior High. She enjoyed gardening, bird watching, and genealogy. She is survived by several cousins.

Ethel Humphrey Anderson ’29, ’31 AM, of Concord, Mass.; April 26. She worked part-time for twenty-five years at Children’s Friend and Service, writing casework summaries for the Rhode Island Family Court. She was active in alumnae affairs at Pembroke and served a term as president of the Ladies of the Faculty. She was involved in the League of Women Voters and was president for several years of the local branch of the American Association of University Women. She also maintained associations with Hamilton House and the Review Club. A member of the First Unitarian Church of Providence for more than forty years, she was part of its Women’s Alliance. She was later a member of the First Parish of Concord. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by a daughter, a son, and four grandchildren.

Frederick Rosenbaum ’29, of Boston; April 4, of pneumonia. He was principal of Wheeler Realty for thirty years. He was earlier president of Globe Sporting Goods, which under his direction grew to be the fourth-largest sporting goods manufacturing company in the country. He had also been president of New England Glove Co. and Kings Sporting Goods. After retiring he helped start the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement. He taught classes at the institute through his ninetieth year, teaching more courses and serving longer as president than anyone else. He continued to teach at his retirement community until he was ninety-three. He was a member of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee and Temple Israel in Boston. He is survived by a son, David ’56, 4620 Dittmar Rd., Arlington, Va. 22207; two daughters; eight grandchildren, including Benjamin ’91 and Shoshana ’99 MAT; and three great-grandchildren.


Horace J. Landay ’32, of Santa Clarita, Calif.; Dec. 5, 2001.

Helen Hazard Harpin ’33, of Newport, R.I.; April 15. She was a secretary at St. George’s Episcopal Church during the 1960s and 1970s and was earlier a social worker. A direct descendant of Thomas Hazard, one of Newport’s founders, she was a member of the local preservation society and historical society. She is survived by two sons and five grandchildren.

Mary Quirk Hoffman ’34, ’39 AM, of West Warwick; May 20. She taught math at Classical High School in Providence for many years before retiring in 1977. She earlier taught at the former Elmhurst Academy in Providence and in the Pawtucket, R.I., public schools. A founding member of Skyscrapers, a Rhode Island astronomy club, she had a particular interested in eclipses. She is survived by a sister.

Leroy D. Vandam ’34, of Westwood, Mass.; April 8. He was former anesthesiologist-in-chief at Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital and a professor at Harvard Medical School. In 1954 he was the anesthesiologist in charge of the world’s first successful human kidney transplant. Former editor-in-chief of the journal Anesthesiology, he coauthored the chief text in anesthesiology, Introduction toAnesthesia, and taught hundreds of anesthesiologists. He was a fellow of the American College of Anesthesiology and the American Society of Anesthesiologists, which awarded him its highest honor, the Distinguished Service Award, in 1977. He was also an accomplished painter and draftsman. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps during World War II. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by two sons, including Albert ’64; five grandchildren, including Todd ’92 and Hilary ’97; and a great-grandson.

Anna Chernock Bander ’35, of River Vale, N.J.; Dec. 30, 2002, after a five-month battle with cancer. She was a teacher in Queens, N.Y.

William F. Flower ’35, ’64 AM, of Larchmont, N.Y.; April 12. He retired in 1984 as a professor of English at C.W. Post College. He was previously a professor of English at Long Island Univ. from 1961 to 1974. Early in his career he was vice president of Outdoor Advertising in New York City. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he commanded a minesweeper. He is survived by two brothers: Jack ’36, 400 N. Flagler Dr., West Palm Beach, Fla. 33401, and Richard ’44.

Harold C. Johns ’35, of Grand Rapids, Mich.; Dec. 15. A Baptist minister, he served in churches in Harrow, Ontario; Akron, N.Y.; Fulton, N.Y.; Watertown, N.Y.; Milwaukee, Wis.; and Ferndale, Mich. After he retired in 1979, he was a chaplain for several years at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Mich. A Rotarian, he is survived by his wife, Doris, 2000 Leonard St. N.E., Grand Rapids 49505; three sons; a daughter; and several grandchildren.

Mary Fullerton Oleksiw ’35, of Newburyport, Mass.; Sept. 19, 2003.

Prescott W. Gustafson ’36, of East Providence; May 4. He was the retired president of Frank N. Gustafson & Sons. A U.S. Coast Guard veteran of World War II, he was an active yachtsman who was involved in yacht-race management at the local, national, and international levels. He volunteered at the Sachusett National Wildlife Refuge. He is survived by his wife, Miriam; a daughter; two grandchildren; a sister; and two brothers, including Clifford ’41.

William G. Thompson ’36, of Hudson, Mich.; April 27. He was the third president of Thompson Savings Bank, which his grandfather had founded, serving from 1949 through 1992, when the bank became part of United Bank and Trust. Active in civic affairs, he was on the Hudson Library Board for sixty-two years, retiring last summer as his health declined. A community benefactor, he supported Hudson United Methodist, the Hudson Museum, and city parks. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and is survived by a nephew.

Lillian Avseev Harris ’38, of Bloomfield Conn.; March 27, 2003. She taught at the Yeshiva of Hartford and for the city of Hartford before she retired in 1977.

Charles A. Walsh Jr. ’38, of Bristol, R.I.; April 10. He retired in 1976 as a vice president of the Atlantic Richfield Co. A life member of the American Petroleum Institute, he received the National Oil Fuel Institute’s Aladdin Award. A first lieutenant in the U.S. Army during World War II, he was past fleet captain of the Bristol Yacht Club and past commander of Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 803. He was president of his Brown class, president of the Association of Class Officers, a member of the Maddock House Committee, and recipient of the 1986 Alumni Service Award. A communicant of St. Mary Church, he was a lector and Eucharistic minister. He served as vice president of the governing board of the North Farm on the Bay condominium complex and as a volunteer driver for Echo, a hospital-support program. He is survived by his wife, Mary, two daughters, two sons, and four grandchildren.

John H. Rowe ’39, of Berkeley, Calif.; May 1, of complications from Parkinson’s disease. A professor emeritus of anthropology at UC Berkeley, he dedicated much of his life to Peruvian archaeology. In 1946 he published Inca Culture at the Time of the Spanish Conquest, widely considered the most authoritative reference book on the subject. He won several academic awards before the age of thirty. He taught in Cuzco, Peru, during the 1940s and later founded the archaeology section of Peru’s Univ. of San Antonio Abad, helping initiate the study of archaeology in Peruvian universities. He is survived by his wife, Patricia Lyon, two daughters, and a sister.


Margaret Butterfield Hyde ’40, of East Syracuse, N.Y.; April 14. She taught at Sandy Hook Elementary School for twenty-seven years before retiring. She earlier taught in Woodbury, N.Y. A World War II veteran, she served for ten years in the U.S. Air Force. She was a member of First Congregational Church in Watertown, N.Y., for seventy-three years. A Girl Scout leader, she was a member of the American Legion, the Southbury Fire Department Auxiliary, and the Southbury Fire Department Fife and Drum Corps. She enjoyed traveling and reading and is survived by a daughter, three grandchildren, and five sisters.

Pauline Lazarus ’40, of San Diego, Calif.; July 26, 2001.

Shirley Jones Smith ’40, of Danvers, Mass.; April 11. She was a nursery school teacher. After moving to Danvers she was a member of Holy Trinity Methodist Church and its women’s guild, a member of the Danvers Historical Society, and a volunteer at Hunt Hospital. She is survived by two sons, including Peter ’66, ’67 ScM; a daughter; and six grandchildren, including Leigh Martin ’96.

John H. Clayton ’41, of Peoria, Ariz.; Jan. 28. He was a senior buyer at Sears Roebuck Co. from 1941 until he retired in 1976. He received many awards from Sears. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II and the Korean War, he is survived by his wife, Nancy, 9257 W. Union Hills Dr., #130, Peoria 85382; a son; a daughter; and two stepchildren.

Earl B. Conklin ’42, of Florence, S.C.; Jan. 9, of pneumonia. He served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps during World War II and participated in a pre-war Signal Corps Program to evaluate British airborne radar defense. He is survived by a brother, Hugh ’37.

William F. Thixton ’42, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; May 3. He worked at Fabricated Fences and Ace Fence Co. until he retired in 1983. He was earlier a partner with his father in the South Atlantic Seafood Co. and had served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. In college he was president of the Brown Christian Association. Delta Upsilon. He is survived by two daughters, two sons, five grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.

Vincent S. Luca ’43, of Johnson, Fla.; May 25. He was a retired manager at Gilberg’s Fabrics Co. He earlier worked at the J.C. Penney Co. A U.S. Army veteran, he served in the South Pacific during World War II and was awarded a Bronze Star for his service in the Korean War. He was active in the Gainesville (Fla.) Civic Ballet, performing in its annual production of The Nutcracker for ten years. He is survived by his wife, Fern Lucille, two sons, three daughters, five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. 

Marcelle J. Horowitz ’43, of Longmeadow, Mass.; May 9. She taught special education in the Longmeadow school system. She was a member of Sinai Temple and Crestview Country Club. She is survived by her husband, Irving, two sons, and two grandchildren.

Ruth E. Just ’43, of Warwick, R.I., and Prudence Island, R.I.; April 9. She retired in 1985 as a vice president of the consolidated jewelry division of the Armburst Chain Co. in Providence, where she had worked for forty-two years. She had been a director and treasurer of the Prudence Island Utility Co. and was a member of the Prudence Island Historical Society, the Prudence Conservancy, and the Prudence Island Improvement Association. She was a finance committee member and auditor of Union Church on Prudence Island, and was a longtime member of its mother church, St. Paul Lutheran Church in Providence. A member of the Committee to Establish Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Smithfield, R.I., she was also a member of the Pilgrim Senior Center. She is survived by two nephews.

James E. Whitney ’43, of Annapolis, Md.; May 1, after a long struggle with Parkinson’s disease. After working for many years in foods research, he studied water quality with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he was stationed at the Woods Hole (Mass.) Oceanographic Institution. He worked on the reactor of the first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus. He was a member of the American Chemical Society, the American Institute for Chemists, Sigma Xi, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the Instrument Society of America. After retiring he traveled to all fifty states. He is survived by two sons, a daughter, two stepsons, five grandchildren, seven step-grandchildren, and a sister.

Marjorie Dore Bertram ’44, of Mattapoisett, Mass., and Holiday, Fla.; April 18, of cancer. She retired as a sixth-grade teacher after fifteen years in the Mattapoisett school system. She was earlier a bacteriologist at Deaconess Hospital in Boston. She enjoyed quilting and was a member of her local Pembroke club. She is survived by her husband, Samuel, 122 Acushnet Rd., Mattapoisett 02739; her mother, Grace Dore; three daughters; and three grandchildren.

Edward D. Howe ’45, of Cape Elizabeth, Maine; April 9. He joined the staff at Fred C. Church Inc. in Lowell, Mass., in 1947 and had become president and chairman of the board by the time he retired in 1988. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II as executive officer of LCI 109 during the Okinawa campaign and later became its captain, retiring with the rank of lieutenant, junior grade. He was president of the Exchange Club in Lowell and of Assurex International Group. He was director of the Merrimack Valley United Fund and director and officer of the Vesper Country Club. He was also president of the Ayer Home and a section of the Lowell Boys Club, and served on the board of YMCA Camp Belknap in Wolfeboro, N.H. He was a member of All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Chelmsford, Mass. He enjoyed golfing, skiing, and traveling, and is survived by two sons, a daughter, and seven grandchildren.

Edward F. Clark ’46, of East Providence, R.I.; April 19. He was a sales executive at E.H. Ashley Co. for forty-nine years before retiring in 1995. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he was a fifty-year member of the Riverside St. Andrew’s Masonic Temple Lodge 39 and the Palestine Shrine Club. He was a member of the East Providence Historical Society and the Mayflower Society. He was past president of the Riverside Kendbrin Swim & Tennis Club. An Eagle Scout, he enjoyed gardening and is survived by his wife, Thelma; a son; two daughters; four grandsons, including Benjamin ’05; a great-granddaughter; and two sisters.

Gilbert P. Edwards ’46, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; May 27. He was a real estate developer who founded Investment Corp. of Florida and Realtec Inc. He served as an officer in the U.S. Navy during World War II. A founding member of the Ft. Lauderdale Symphony, he played first-chair violin. He is survived by his wife, Rose Marie, six daughters, and nine grandchildren.

William J. Harrington ’46, of Lancaster, Pa.; Nov. 29. An engineering manager at the former RCA Corp. for forty-one years, he was a pioneer in developing color cathode-ray tubes for television sets. In the later years of his career he helped start up television-tube plants in England, France, Poland, and Italy. He retired in 1989. He volunteered at the Lancaster County library. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. In college he was manager of the Brown Band. He is survived by his wife, Darlene, two daughters, a son, two grandchildren, and a brother, Robert ’52.

William H. Henning ’46, of Galesburg, Ill.; May 26. He was an attorney and partner in the former firm of Peel, Henning, Mathers, and McKee from 1949 until he retired in 1986. He also served as an assistant state’s attorney from 1954 to 1956 and as a public defender from 1957 to 1965. He was a member of the American, Illinois, and Knox County bar associations; First United Methodist Church, where he was a former board member; Alpha Masonic Lodge 155; and Ralph M. Noble American Legion Post 285. He chaired the Galesburg Polio Drive. He served in the U.S. Navy, rising to the rank of commander, and later served in the U.S. Naval Reserve, retiring in 1984 as a lieutenant commander. He is survived by his wife, Jean, three daughters, six grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.

Elodie Staff Miller ’46, of East Greenwich, R.I.; May 29. A retired secretary, she worked for the engineering department at TACO of Cranston, R.I., during the 1980s. She was a member of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church and its altar guild and church choir. She is survived by a daughter; a son; a brother, Edgar Staff ’53; a grandson; and a great-grandson.

Robert J.A. Thacker ’46, of Frederick, Md.; May 21. He retired in 1987 after seventeen years with the U.S. Postal Service, where he was a senior analyst for market research. He earlier worked for twenty-three years at General Electric. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church, a former trustee of the Crestwood Village Association, and a former board member of the YMCA in Schenectady, N.Y. He is survived by his wife, Louise, a son, a daughter, six grandchildren, two step-grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and a sister.

Irving M. Wellings ’46, of Chatham, Mass.; May 24, of cancer. He retired as regional sales manager at J.P. Stevens Co. of New York, a manufacturing company. After serving in the U.S. Coast Guard in Woods Hole, Mass., he joined the U.S. Navy during World War II. He enjoyed gardening and traveling to Maine and Alaska. Active in the Episcopal Church, he served on the vestry and as treasurer at St. Christopher’s Church in Chatham. He is survived by his wife, Anne, a son, a daughter, two stepsons, three stepdaughters, five grandchildren, ten step-grandchildren, and four step-great-grandchildren.

P. Marie Colavita ’47, of Milford, Mass.; May 29. She was an English teacher for forty-three years at Milford High School, where she also served as department head. She was an instructor for the Massachusetts Department of Education’s G.E.D. program from 1959 to 1968. A member of the Massachusetts Teachers Association, the Milford-Whitinsville Regional Hospital Ladies Auxiliary, Beta Phi Mu, and Sacred Heart of Jesus Church, she is survived by a brother.

David J. Meehan ’47, of Little Compton, R.I., and Vero Beach, Fla.; April 18. He was a director of the Rhode Island Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for more than forty years. He began his career at the Providence National Bank and later moved to G.H. Walker & Co., before joining his father at Mills Inc., which became the Meehan Fund. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II in the European theater. He worked at the Nuremberg war-crime trials. An avid sportsman, he was a member of the Johns Island Club in Vero Beach for twenty years and the Sakonnet Golf Club in Little Compton. He is survived by his wife, Phoebe, two sons, two daughters, seven grandchildren, a brother, and a sister.

J. Wilbur Riker Jr. ’47, of Bristol, R.I.; April 13, after a seven-month illness. A former president of J.W. Riker Real Estate, he retired from his own business, J.W. Riker Appraisal Services, in 2002. He was former co-owner of Adams-Riker Insurance Co. A longtime actor with the Providence Players, he had served as its president. He was also past president of the Barker Foundation. He appeared in many professional and community stage productions. He earlier performed in summer stock in New York State and taught English at Brown for two years. He was former vice president of the Providence Kiwanis Club and former chairman of the board of Sock and Buskin Corp. at Brown. He made museum-quality model boats, enjoyed traveling, and collected leather-bound books. He was a longtime member of the Providence Rotary and the Wannamoisett Country Club. He is survived by his wife, Mary Lou, a son, a daughter, and a brother.

William H. Baker ’48, of Lake Wylie, S.C.; May 3. He owned Paddock of California and related companies that are now located in Rock Hill, S.C., where he was CEO for forty years. Earlier a swimming pool contractor in Albany for many years, he held patents for several commercial pool products. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Marlene, three sons, two daughters, a stepson, and eleven grandchildren.

Murray P. Casserly ’48, of St. Paul, Minn.; May 29, of a brain aneurysm. He was a retired architect of the Minnesota Housing & Finance Agency. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II and the Korean War, he is survived by his wife, Yvonne, two daughters, two sons, six grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and two sisters.

Paul W. Cook Jr. ’48, of Martha’s Vineyard, Mass., and Marco Island, Fla.; April 7, a month after being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He launched his own business consulting company, Paul W. Cook Jr. Associates of Lincoln, Mass., in 1970, where he gave economic advice to legal firms representing large companies in antitrust lawsuits filed by the government. He worked with such firms as Cravath, Swaine, and Moore in New York City and helped in the defense of Kellogg’s and Morton Salt. After retiring he was an instructor and student at the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement. Earlier in his career he was an economist at Harvard Business School and was president of Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Ind., for two years before returning to Massachusetts in 1968 to become a special consultant to the president of MIT. He was a former board member of the DeCordova Museum in Lincoln, Mass., and sat on the Lincoln Long-Range Planning Committee. He fished for striped bass and bluefish off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard. He is survived by his wife, Marian, two sons, a daughter, six grandchildren, and a great-granddaughter.

Milton W. Musbach ’48, of Deltaville, Va.; Dec. 22, 2001.

Max O. Regensteiner ’48, of Rockville, Md.; April 30, of renal and congestive heart failure. He retired as an administrative law judge after twenty years at the Securities and Exchange Commission, where he was previously an opinions and review attorney. He had also worked for the Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Co. He served several terms as president of B’nai B’rith and Parents of North American Israelis. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he interrogated German prisoners. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy, two daughters, a son, a sister, and a brother, David Regenstein ’51.

Edmund J. Boyle ’49, of Berwyn, Pa.; July 15, 2002.

Duncan Mackenzie ’49, of Bel Air, Md.; Feb. 25, of Parkinson’s disease. He was a retired investment adviser. His column, Your Tax Dollars in Action, appeared nationally. He also wrote the Mackenzie Stock Portfolio column, which appeared in several regional publications. He wrote other investment articles and book reviews, and taught classes on the stock market at local community colleges. An early advocate of a balanced federal budget, he obtained thousands of signatures in support of the idea and forwarded them to Congress. A World War II fighter pilot who served in both the Canadian and U.S. air forces, he interrupted his Brown education to enlist for three years in the Royal Canadian Air Force. He was the first American to graduate from flight schools in both Canada and the United States. He was a member of the National Security Speakers Bureau. He chaired SDI Advocates and was president of the Liriodendron Foundation, the Historical Society of Hartford County, Md., and the St. Andrew’s Society in Washington D.C. His collection of single-malt-whisky bottles was at one time considered the largest in the United States. He is survived by his wife, Anne, a daughter, two stepsons, a step-grandson, a sister, and a brother.

Frederick M. Nelson ’49, of Tolland, Conn.; May 20. He was a U.S. Navy veteran of World War II. He was a member of the New England Saint Bernard’s Club. A dedicated hockey player and golfer in his younger years, he is survived by his wife, Elisabeth; seven children; eleven grandchildren; nine great grandchildren; and two brothers, including Robert ’44.

Fred W. Thomae Jr. ’49, of Glenmoore, Pa.; May 19, of lung cancer. He was a stockbroker and physiologist. He worked for General Electric’s aerospace division, where he helped develop methods of storing food and eliminating waste on manned space flights. When General Electric began laying off workers in the early 1970s, he changed careers, working first for an investment planner in New Jersey and then becoming a stockbroker at Janney Montgomery Scott. He paid for college by playing the organ in churches and playing the trombone in dance and jazz bands. He also played for one summer in the Rhode Island Symphony. An active member of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, he visited its sister church in Guatemala every year. He is survived by his wife, Martha, two daughters, and a son.


Adolph N. Anderson Jr. ’50, of Cranston, R.I.; May 21. He retired in 2002 after forty-five years spent practicing law in Providence. He was on the boards of the American Bar Association of the U.S. Supreme Court and the Rhode Island Bar Association. He also served as attorney of the Rhode Island Department of Employment Security and in the administration of former Rhode Island governor Christopher DelSesto. He was a former left-handed pitcher in the Red Sox farm system. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he later served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force Reserves. He was on the boards of the Rhode Island and American lung associations and was a former board member of the Scandinavian Home in Cranston and the Cranston School Board. A member of Calvary Covenant Church, he is survived by his wife, Ruth.

Francis E. Baker Jr., ’50, of Savannah, Ga.; April 18. After retiring from the Space Systems Division of the U.S. Air Force in Los Angeles, he worked for McDonnell Douglas Aerospace until he retired. He had also worked for the Savannah Ports Authority. He was a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars. He is survived by his wife, Myrtle, and three brothers.

Richard C. Brown ’50, of Scarborough, Maine; June 3, after a long illness. A minister for more than forty years, he was a pastor at American Baptist churches in Wellesley, Mass.; Rochester, N.Y.; West Hartford, Conn.; and Providence. He also served as executive minister of the Rhode Island Council of Churches from 1983 until he retired in 1991. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Anne, two sons, a stepson, a stepdaughter, and eight grandchildren.

Robert E. Rollins ’50, of Louisville, Ky.; Dec. 2. He was a retired sales manager at General Electric. A U.S. Navy veteran, he was a member of Hurstbourne Country Club and Beargrass Christian Church. He is survived by a daughter.

Isabel Anderson Sexton ’51, of Redwood City, Calif.; May 26, of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. After graduating from Brown she was a flight attendant at United Airlines, where she met her husband, a pilot. She became a homemaker and was an advocate for the arts and a patron of the San Francisco opera and symphony. She is survived by her husband, Jacque, 6 Sequoia Way, Redwood City 94061; a daughter; two sons; two stepdaughters; five grandchildren; and two sisters.

Frank L. Suttell ’51, of Seattle; April 6. He worked at the Boeing Co. He earlier served in the U.S. Navy and worked briefly in his family’s automobile business in Rhode Island. He is survived by his wife, Virginia, 3227 Magnolia Blvd. West, Seattle 98199; two daughters, including V. Jane ’76; two sons; and six grandchildren.

Donald R. Toppel ’51, of Ramsey, N.J.; Nov. 27, 2001.

Eugene White ’51, of Kenilworth, Ill.; May 16, of heart failure. He founded two community-banking groups, the Charter Bank Group and Northview Bank & Trust. He earlier worked for a firm that raised money for nonprofit organizations such as churches and hospitals. He served in the U.S. Air Force, attaining the rank of first lieutenant. He enjoyed tending to the 100 rosebushes outside his home. He is survived by his wife, Jane, a son, a daughter, and seven grandchildren.

Frank G. Burnett ’52, of Bonita Springs, Fla.; April 16. He founded Brighton Laboratories, which manufactured chemicals, in Livingston County, Mich. He was past president of Chemung Hills Country Club in Howell, Mich. A veteran of the Korean War, he is survived by his wife, Lorraine, a son, three daughters, three stepchildren, and five grandchildren.

Rita Jaffe Kotlen ’52, of Middletown, R.I.; May 5. She worked in retail sales for more than twenty years before she retired in 2001. A volunteer at the battered women’s shelter in Newport, R.I., she is survived by two daughters, a son, four grandchildren, and a brother, Stanley Jaffe ’54.

Richard W. Ryan ’54, Rockport, Mass.; May 23. An avid golfer, he was a member of the Bass Rocks Golf Club. He also enjoyed reading and computers. He is survived by a son, three daughters, eight grandchildren, a brother, and a sister.

Roberta M. Shakis ’56, of Somerville, Mass.; July 14, 2003.

Walter K. Fries ’57, of Shelton, Conn.; May 28. After working as a math teacher at Shelton High School and Wilton Middlebrook Middle School, he expanded the Fries Brothers Tree Service, a business he had started at Brown. Most recently he helped his wife with her craft business. He is survived by his wife, Joan, a son, a daughter, and a brother.

Yacoub “Jack” I. Murad ’58, of Shelton, Conn.; April 15. He was the retired proprietor of Tri-Star Business Advantage. A member of St. John’s Masonic Lodge #8, he is survived by his wife, Margaret, three children, three grandchildren, and several siblings.


Helene L. O’Connor ’61, of Chichester, N.H.; June 10, of injuries sustained in a fall. A professor emerita at the City Univ. of New York, she was a part-time faculty member at the Univ. of Massachusetts at Lowell at the time of her death. She is survived by two brothers.

Rochelle Miller Bleecker ’64, of Providence; April 30. She was coordinator of social workers for the Cranston (R.I.) School Department and had an active private practice in social work. She was the first chairwoman of the Providence Juvenile Hearing Board. A member of the National Association of Social Workers, she was also a member of United Brother’s Synagogue and a life member of Hadassah. As an amateur actress, she appeared onstage at Barker Playhouse and Alias Stage. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by her husband, Stanley ’60; her mother, Frances Miller; a son, Jonathan ’95; a daughter; a brother, Sheldon Miller ’69; and three grandchildren.

Ralph W. Sizer ’64, of Providence; May 20, of heart failure. He was a production editor at the American Mathematical Society in Providence for more than thirty-five years. At Brown he was involved in drama and folk dancing; he pursued folk dancing for the next thirty years. He also enjoyed genealogy. He is survived by a brother, Walter, 121 6th Ave. South, #6, Moorhead, Minn. 56560; and a sister.

James W. Koster ’66, of Newton, Mass.; April 4, of a cerebral hemorrhage. He was a psychiatrist at Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital in Bedford, Mass., for many years, treating outpatients in hospital and community clinics. He also treated patients at the Billerica (Mass.) House of Correction. He taught medical students at Boston Univ. and also instructed trainees in social work and psychology. He was a member of the American Psychiatric Association. A gardener and tennis player, he is survived by his wife, Martha, a son, a daughter, and a brother.

Theodore O. Yntema Jr. ’66, of Seattle; May 25, of leukemia. A stockbroker, he founded Yntema, Wood & Co. in the late 1970s and retired five years ago. He earlier worked at the Goldman Sachs brokerage house and at various other investment firms. He supported the Michigan Humane Society, the Detroit Institute of Arts Founders Society, the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, Michigan Opera Theatre, and Cranbrook House and Gardens. He is survived by his wife, Amanda, a daughter, a son, and a sister.

Albert Dalmolen ’67, of South Chatham, Mass.; Jan. 5, of leukemia. He was a professor of political science at Mansfield Univ. in Pennsylvania for eighteen years until he retired due to illness two years ago. A longtime resident of Elmira, N.Y., he was a stay-at-home father from 1978 to 1988 while also teaching part-time at Elmira College and the Elmira Correctional Facility for Corning Community College. He wrote weekly columns for a local newspaper, Elmira Today. He was a volunteer for local, statewide, and national political campaigns, and served as deputy campaign manager for a congressional candidate from his district. He was a member of many professional organizations. He received the Outstanding Faculty-Student Mentoring Award and took part in a Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad Program on Indonesia. He was a multiple-year nominee for Who’s Who Among American Teachers. He was an avid fan of the Boston Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics. He coached his sons’ soccer, ice hockey, and basketball teams. He also enjoyed golfing, bowling, rowing, and fishing. He is survived by his wife, Eve, 223 Morton Rd., South Chatham 02659; two sons; two sisters; and a brother.

Scott C. Hensel ’67, of Humble, Tex.; May 1, of a heart arrhythmia. A cofounder and majority owner of Administaff Inc., he was a senior vice president and board director from 1987 until he retired ten years later after taking the company public. From 1982 to 1987 he was CFO of Technology & Business Consultants Inc. He was an executive at Exxon from 1968 to 1982. He enjoyed rebuilding and racing vintage Austin Healey sports cars. A member of the rowing team for four years at Brown, he coached the freshmen crew for one year after graduation. He is survived by his wife, Constance; his mother, Mary Isert, and her husband, Wilson; a son, Scott Jr. ’94; a daughter; five grandchildren; a brother, Alden ’62; and a sister, Mary Ellen Hensel Scott ’70.

Karen L. Holman ’69, of Fort Collins, Colo.; April 9, of complications from rheumatoid arthritis. She worked at Colorado State Univ.’s Cooperative Extension Service from 1982 until she retired in 2000. She then volunteered at Poudre Valley Hospital, Fort Collins Public Library, Wellington Senior Center, and Larimer County Nutrition Program. She is survived by a brother.


Geoffrey V. Supko ’72, of Boise, Idaho; April 5. He worked at Ore-Ida Foods from 1976 until he retired in 1991. He began his marketing career at Dracut Corp. in Cincinnati. He enjoyed photography, fishing, and gardening. He is survived by his wife, Kathy; his mother, Clarissa; two sons; and a sister.


Donald Y. Lee ’89, of Denver; May 16, unexpectedly. He was finishing a PhD in child clinical psychology at the Univ. of Miami and was working at Children’s Hospital of Denver. He had been helping children ever since the age of eight, when he volunteered to help autistic pupils at his elementary school. He enjoyed sports and cooking. He is survived by his wife, Nancy, and his parents, Susan and Young.


Yuen-Pok “Leo” Leung ’94, of Philadelphia; April 21, 2002, suddenly. He was a resident physician in orthopedic surgery at the Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania.

Justin J. “Quint” Stevenson ’97, of Rye, N.Y.; March 6. He was a member of the squash team at Brown. He is survived by his parents.


Suzanne R. Lavallee ’00, of Lincoln, R.I.; Dec. 14, 2002. She was a nursing student at the Community College of Rhode Island and an active member of Holy Spirit Catholic Community. At Brown she was a member of the French Club and managed the women’s basketball team.


Ethel Humphrey Anderson ’31 AM (see ’29).

Robert W. Stoughton ’36 AM, of Hartford; Feb. 4. He was a high school and college teacher and served as associate commissioner of education for the state of Connecticut. His areas of expertise were guidance and testing. He is survived by a son.

Daniel M. Lilly ’40 PhD, of Darby, Pa.; April 14. He was a professor of biology and chairman of biological sciences at St. John’s Univ. in New York City, where he worked for thirty years before retiring in 1975. He was earlier an instructor and assistant professor at Providence College. He received many honors and research grants for his work in marine biology. He was a member of numerous scientific organizations. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he served in the medical corps and rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel. He is survived by a son, a brother, and three sisters.

Leroy L. Blackmer ’42 PhD, of Irondequoit, N.Y.; May 13. He was a physicist in the Kodak research labs for thirty-six years and authored numerous scientific publications. He held several patents in optics. He is survived by his wife, Helen, a daughter, a son, and three grandchildren.

Gilbert K. Sievers ’43 ScM, of St. Louis; April 24. He was a petroleum geologist for eighteen years, then became an analyst for the U.S. Air Force. He was previously a high school science teacher for seven years. He enjoyed traveling to the western states, rock hunting, and working as a lapidary, making belt buckles, bolo ties, and jewelry using semiprecious beads and stones. He was a member of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, the St. Louis Mineral and Gemological Society, and Bellefontaine United Methodist Church. He is survived by his wife, Martha, a son, two daughters, and four grandchildren.

Daniel J. Hughes Jr. ’58 PhD, of Detroit; Oct. 7, 2003, of complications from multiple sclerosis. He was an English professor at Wayne State Univ. from 1964 until he retired in 1988. He was earlier an assistant professor at Brown. He authored five books of poetry, including Waking in a Tree and You Are Not Stendhal, and wrote numerous articles on Shelley and other English Romantic poets. He was a member of the American Association of University Professors, the American Civil Liberties Union, the Nature Conservancy, and several other organizations. He enjoyed listening to classical music and reading. An intelligence officer in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, he is survived by his wife, Mary Small Hughes ’53, ’64 AM, 17524 3rd St., #104, Detroit 48203.

Arvid H. Corneliussen Jr. ’61 PhD, of Topsfield, Mass.; July 25, 2001.

Elizabeth Manners Holt ’66 PhD, of Stillwater, Okla.; June 9, 2003, from cardiac arrest resulting from an allergy attack. She was a chemistry professor at Oklahoma State Univ. from 1981 to 2003 and was director of the X-ray analysis laboratory in the chemistry department. She was also an adviser to the American Medical Student Association and was on the premedical advisory committee. She previously taught at the Univ. of Georgia, the Univ. of Wyoming, and Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute. She received two Fulbright fellowships to analyze phosphate materials common in Morocco. She received the AMOCO Foundation Outstanding Teacher Award, the Phi Eta Sigma Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, the Oklahoma State Regents Distinguished Teaching Award, and the Etta Louise Gerry National Award for Women Chemists. She is survived by a daughter, Alexandra, 1601 W. School, #511, Chicago 60657; a son; and grandson.

Thor I. Eklund ’75 PhD, of Haddonfield, N.J.; May 2, after a long struggle with esophageal cancer. He was an aeronautical engineer who held two patents related to the ventilation of smoke from aircraft fires. In 1997 he retired as manager of the fire research section at the William J. Hughes Technical Center, a facility of the Federal Aviation Administration. He then established a consulting firm and was a frequent lecturer. He earlier worked at the Naval Air Propulsion Center. He specialized in aircraft fire safety, fire-resistant materials, and fuel flammability. In addition, he wrote numerous technical reports and articles. He received awards for his writing and work, including his research to prevent fuel tank explosions and his efforts to develop FAA regulations to improve aircraft fire safety. During several years while his cancer was in remission, he was a stay-at-home father. He is survived by his wife, Mary; his mother, Mary; two sons; and a sister.

Yeuliang Chen ’83 AM, of San Jose; May 7. He was a software engineer at PeopleSoft. He enjoyed jogging and is survived by a sister and a brother.

Barbara Bejoian ’84 AM, of Barrington, R.I.; April 10, after a long struggle with cancer. She was an adjunct playwriting professor at New York Univ. She previously taught English and playwriting at Brown, RISD, and Rhode Island College. An accomplished playwright, she received ten National Endowment for the Arts awards. She was awarded a Fulbright fellowship to teach creative writing at the American Univ. in Yerevan, Armenia, in 1995. While there, she performed educational missionary work for the U.S. Embassy in the earthquake areas of Gumri and Vanadzor. She was also an award-winning speaker at Voice of Democracy contests. A lifelong Boston Red Sox fan, she wrote a play before her diagnosis about an elderly man who is taken from his nursing home to attend what he knows will be his last Red Sox game. She is survived by her husband, Newell Thomas ’94; her mother, Rose; two sons; and three brothers.


Sam Driver, of Little Compton, R.I.; Oct. 1, 2003. He was a professor emeritus of Slavic languages. He joined the faculty in 1962 as an instructor of Russian and was promoted to full professor in 1981; he retired in 1993. He specialized in Russian language and in nineteenth- and twentieth-century Russian literature. He had a deep interest in the intersection of literature with art, architecture, and culture. His books on Russian poets and their poetry included Pushkin: Literature and Social Ideas and Anna Akhmatova. A devoted teacher and mentor, he served as chair of his department and on other committees. He was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. He is survived by three sons; a daughter, Jane ’91; two grandchildren; and a brother.

Thomas G. Winner, of Cambridge, Mass.; April 20, of pneumonia. A professor of Slavic languages at Brown from 1966 to 1982, he fled Czechoslovakia in 1939 after winning one of twenty fellowships raised by Harvard students to help peers escape Nazi-occupied Europe to study at Harvard. At Brown he organized and directed the Center for Research in Semiotics, the first such center in the United States. He also edited the Brown Slavic Reprints. He was previously a professor at Duke and the Univ. of Michigan. Twice awarded a Fulbright, he held five visiting professorships and received numerous other awards and honors. He was the author or editor of twelve books, more than 130 journal articles, and many reviews of scholarly books. His writing focused on the Prague linguistic circle, a group organized before World War II but suppressed during the years of German occupation and postwar Communist rule. During World War II he worked in the Office of War Information. He is survived by his wife, Irene Portis-Winner, two daughters, and two grandchildren.

What do you think?
See what other readers are saying about this article and add your voice. 
Related Issue
September / October 2004