By The Editors / July / August 2003
June 22nd, 2007


John Dow ’27, of Ramapo, N.Y.; March 11. He served three terms in the U.S. House of Representatives during the Vietnam War. Elected in 1964 to represent Rockland, N.Y., he was one of seven Democrats to vote against the initial funding for U.S. involvement in Vietnam. He also opposed laws to ban flag burning and took part in civil rights marches. He lost his seat in 1968 but won it back two years later, only to lose it again in 1972. He ran unsuccessfully twice more, most recently in 1990, at the age of eighty-five. He wrote extensively on foreign policy and was particularly concerned with U.S. relations with China. A graduate of Harvard (he left Brown after two years), he is survived by a son, two daughters, eight grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Dorothy F. Swanson ’28, of Bridgeport, Conn.; Nov. 8, after a short illness. She was an associate Realtor with Curtis and Crandon for nearly twenty years. She started her career as a social worker in New York City and later worked for the New York City Health Department. She enlisted in the WAVEs during World War II and spent the next twenty years in the U.S. Navy, rising to the rank of lieutenant commander. A lifelong member of the Stratford (Conn.) Congregational Church, she was a member and past president of the New York City Pilot Club, Pilot International, the local American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and the North Shore Animal League. She was a life member of the Military Officers Association of America, the Retired Naval Association, the Monroe Historical Society, and the Thornton W. Burgess Society of Sandwich, Mass. She is survived by several cousins.


Eleanor Legner Bowman ’30, of State College, Pa.; Dec. 5. Starting in the early 1950s, she worked at the audio-visual library at Penn State for about twenty years, writing the descriptions of films used at the university. An avid reader, gardener, and bridge player, she enjoyed traveling and is survived by a daughter, Trudi Dunkerson, 5306 Ivy Hill Dr., Arlington, Tex. 76016; four grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Byron O. Waterman ’32, of Griswold, Conn.; March 25. He retired after sixty-three years as a Baptist minister. Ordained in 1935, he served at the First Calvary Baptist Church in Lawrence, Mass., until 1941; at the First Baptist Church in Plaistow, N.H., from 1941 to 1950; and at Mount Vernon Larger Parish in Coventry, R.I., from 1950 until he retired in 1994. He was the visiting chaplain at the former Rhode Island Medical Center. An accomplished orchestral musician, he played the violin in the Connecticut College Orchestra, the Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra, and the National Senior Symphony. He was a member of the American Civil Liberties Union, Planned Parenthood, the Association of Mental Health Chaplains, the American Federation of Musicians, and the Archaeological Society. He also served on the Griswold Conservation Commission. He received citations from the Rhode Island Senate and House of Representatives and was awarded the Community Citizen Award from the Grange. A world traveler, he is survived by his wife, Marion; two sons; and two grandchildren.

Jenny Lind Ghering ’33, of Butler, Pa.; Sept. 16, 2001. She was a retired social worker. Survivors include a daughter, Ann Ghering Flynn ’68; and a grandson, Timothy Flynn ’94.

Donald C. Bogert ’34, of Demarest, N.J.; March 3. He was vice president of John J. Demarest Lumber Co., where he had worked for thirty-two years, and was past president of the New Jersey Fuel Merchants Association. He was also a former mayor of Demarest and a director and appraiser of Valley Savings and Loan Association. He served on the Demarest town council, zoning board, and planning board. A trustee of his local Baptist church and a member of the Demarest Volunteer Fire Department, he served on the chaplaincy committee of Englewood (N.J.) Hospital. He was a fifty-year member of Alpine Tilden Tenakill Masonic Lodge 77 and a charter member of the Cresskill Rotary Club and the Lions Club. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II, rising to the rank of captain. He is survived by his wife, Clare, 602 Piermont Rd., Demarest 07627; a son; two daughters; ten grandchildren; and a sister.

Francis E. Felt ’35, of Kingston, Mass.; March 30. He was a retired sales manager at Tra-Con Corp. A former Boy Scout leader, he was an honorary member of Troop 49 in Kingston. He served on several town boards and committees. He was a great-books discussion leader at the Plymouth (Mass.) Library and Kingston elementary and intermediate schools. A former coach of a semiprofessional football team in Alexandria, Va., he had been a member of amateur theater groups and was master of ceremonies of a talk show at radio station KPOA in Hawaii. A wood carver and gardener, he is survived by his wife, Dorothy, a daughter, and a son.

Walter Goetz ’36, of Santa Fe, N.Mex.; Dec. 21, of congestive heart failure. A school counselor in Santa Fe, he was instrumental in introducing play-therapy techniques to children in the area. He had also been a counselor in Albuquerque. He volunteered with Open Hands and the Salvation Army and served as a “grandfather” to children in a second-grade class. A pianist, he played at nursing homes and gatherings and at the Palace Restaurant, where he would entertain diners with a repertoire of more than 1,000 songs. He played weekly tournament bridge. He started his career as a producer at Republic Studios in Hollywood, then became a producer of the first thirty-six shows of The Millionaire, a popular television show in the 1950s. At Brown he was active in the drama club, writing music and lyrics for its productions. He is survived by a sister, two nephews, and two nieces.

Elijah C. Koppelman ’36, of Providence; April 9. He retired after many years as president of Joseph E. Koppelman Inc. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he is survived by his wife, Mildred, 22 Balton Rd., Providence 02906; two daughters, including Betty Koppelman Steele ’75; a granddaughter; and a sister.

Zedra Jurist Aranow ’37, of Springfield, Mass.; March 5. She was a feature writer and columnist for the Springfield Union-News and Sunday Republican until she retired in 2001. She became a feature writer for the former Springfield Daily News in 1968. She won many national and local writing awards, including the 1969 Catherine L. O’Brien Award for achievement in women’s interest newspaper reporting for a story on child abuse. She also won the New England Newspapers award for humor from United Press International in 1970 and 1971 and the Nellie Bly Award in 1982. In November the Massachusetts Adoption Resource Ex-change honored her for writing “Could You Love This Child?” a monthly series about hard-to-adopt children that ran for sixteen years. An avid reader and knitter, she was a member of Sinai Temple, Twin Hills Country Club, and the newspapers’ 25 Year Club. Before raising her family she worked in advertising and public relations in New York City for the retail stores Bonwit’s and Best & Co. She then became a homemaker, volunteer, and freelance writer, selling articles to such publications as McCall’s and Good Housekeeping. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by her husband, Walter; a son; two daughters, including Andrea ’67; two grandsons; and a sister.

Rose D’Avanzo Ciciarelli ’37, of East Longmeadow, Mass.; Jan. 22, after a brief illness. A homemaker, she had been a social worker in Providence before moving with her family to Hawaii, where she lived for twelve years. In Longmeadow she volunteered with her church and with elder programs and was a member of Longmeadow Country Club. In the last two years of her life she lived independently at East Village Place, where she was active in many programs. She is survived by a daughter, Phyllis Ciciarelli Cox ’65, 55 Colonial Rd., Hingham, Mass. 02043; and a granddaughter, Kimberleigh Cox ’90.

Clarence S. Cleasby Jr. ’37, of Cranston, R.I.; Dec. 27. An Episcopal minister, he served as associate rector of the Church of the Transfiguration in Cranston from 1981 until he retired; he was named rector emeritus in 2001. He also served as a chaplain at Rhode Island Hospital. He was previously rector of the Church of the Ascension in Mt. Venon, N.Y., for twenty years, and was named rector emeritus there. He served as chaplain of the Mt. Vernon Fire Department and was a member of the Mayor’s Commission for Housing and Juvenile Delinquency. He was a member of the Episcopal Diocese of New York’s Committee on Budget and Diocesan Aid and was chairman of Property Support. He was past president of the Interfaith Clergy and the Mt. Vernon Council of Churches. He was also a chaplain at Mt. Vernon Hospital, a member of the Mt. Vernon Rotary, and a past vice president of the Mt. Vernon YMCA. He was named Man of the Year in 1981. Early in his career he served as associate rector of Grace Episcopal Church in Providence. He was previously the Providence branch manager for the Ben Elfman Carpet Co. of Boston, where he had worked for twenty years. An active Mason, he was former master of Harmony Lodge #9 of Cranston and an honorary member of Hiawatha Lodge in Mt. Vernon. He volunteered for Meals on Wheels and was a former boardmember and president of the Martha’s Vineyard Campmeeting Association. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy ’39, 126 Ocean Ave., #1, Cranston 02905; a son; a daughter; five grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; and a sister.

Thomas F. Davis ’37, of Greenville, S.C.; March 2. He retired as technical director of Brackett Steels. He was previously chief metallurgist at General Electric. A life member of the American Society for Metals and the United States Naval Institute, he was a member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church. He is survived by two daughters, including Mary Louise Davis Hartness ’66; a son, James ’64; ten grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; and a sister.


Agnes M. Galligan ’38, of McLean, Va.; Feb. 28. She was a statistician at the Harvard School of Public Health, where she oversaw the teaching of math to doctors, and at the U.S. Army Research Laboratory in Natick, Mass., before she retired in the early 1980s. During World War II she served as a statistician for the Respiratory Disease Commission at Fort Bragg, N.C. She was a former member of the Puritan Bridge Club in Braintree, Mass. She also volunteered at South Shore Hospital. She is survived by a brother, Charles Jr., 6251 Old Dominion Dr., #109, McLean 22101; and a sister, Marie Galligan Stoddard ’36.

Maury Kusinitz ’38, of Fall River, Mass.; April 14. He was a bank director, vice president, and chairman of the executive committee at Citizen’s-Union Savings Bank of Fall River. He was also a corporator and trustee of the Narragansett Financial Corp. He founded the Maury Kusinitz Insurance Agency of Fall River in 1946 and served as an instructor at the former Bradford Durfee Technical School in Fall River for the Life Underwriter’s Training Council in accident and sickness. A past president of many local professional organizations, he received many awards from the insurance industry. He was chairman of the board of advisers and past chairman of the board of trustees of Bristol Community College. The college renamed its yearly volunteer award in his honor, inducted him into its Scepter and Scroll Society, and gave him its Distinguished Citizen Award. A corporator and trustee of the Bristol Community College Foundation, he was also a trustee of the Greater Fall River Foundation and the United Jewish Appeal and a corporator of Charlton Memorial Hospital. He served as president of the Fall River Lions Club and on the endowment committee of the United Way of Greater Fall River, which gave him an award for twenty-six years of service. His other honors included the Roger Valcourt Outstanding Citizen Award from the Greater Fall River Chamber of Commerce and the Appreciation Award from the Association for Retarded Citizens of Greater Fall River. He was a past director of Temple Beth-El. He is survived by his wife, Edith, a son, two daughters, six grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and a sister.

Anthony C. Shabica ’38, of Martha’s Vineyard, Mass., and Destin, Fla.; April 15. He was chairman of the New Jersey Council for Research and Development and was instrumental in creating the Liberty Science Center of New Jersey. He previously retired in 1980 as vice president for development and quality control at CIBA-GEIGY. He joined CIBA Pharmaceutical Co. in 1946 to head its new developmental research division. Earlier in his career he was a senior chemist at Merck and Co. He coauthored the book How Modern Medicines Are Developed. Also the author of many papers on the development of synthetic blood plasma, he conducted research that was the basis for steroid and corticosteroid development in the pharmaceutical industry. In addition he wrote papers on vitamins and amino acids, synthetic chemistry, and risk analysis. He holds twelve patents. He was a fellow of many professional organizations, including the American Institute of Chemists and the New York Academy of Sciences, where he was former chairman of the chemical section. He served for a year as adjunct professor at the University of the Virgin Islands. He was a commander of Sigma Nu and a member of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Society. Active in the Boy Scouts, he served as a troop leader and on the executive board of the Orange Mountain Council. He helped establish the Boys and Girls Club of Martha’s Vineyard and was on the board of the Martha’s Vineyard Campmeeting Association. He was also a member of the Kiwanis Club of Fort Walton Beach. He was active in the Livingston (N.J.) Presbyterian Church, the First Presbyterian Church in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., and at the Methodist Tabernacle on Martha’s Vineyard. He is survived by his wife, Eleanor, c/o son Stephen Cofer-Shabica ’67, 593 Marshgrass Blvd., Mt. Pleasant, S.C. 29464; two other sons, including Charles ’65; eleven grandchildren, including Molly ’98; four great-grandchildren; and a sister.

Donald C. Howarth ’39, of Fountain Inn, S.C.; Jan. 11, 2001.

Daniel Howland Sr. ’39, of Columbus, Ohio; Feb. 22. He was a professor at Ohio State for twenty-five years. After retiring in 1980 he worked at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base until he retired this past January. An avid sailor, he was a captain in the U.S. Naval Reserves and served his active duty aboard submarines. He earned his pilot’s license before he was old enough to drive. In 1949 he became the first flight engineer for Piedmont Airlines. He was master of the hounds and a member of Rocky Fork Hunt and Country Club for many years. He is survived by his wife, Patricia; a son; a daughter; four stepchildren; twelve grandchildren; a sister; and his former wife.

Kathryn Rau Kern ’39, of Allentown, Pa.; Nov. 27. She was a reading specialist in the Parkland Area School District for eighteen years before retiring in 1985. A member of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, she was a former Sunday school teacher. She was also a member of the American Association of University Women and the Humane Society. She is survived by her husband, Charles; a son; two daughters; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Tina Sammartino Penza ’39, of Providence; April 15. She was a teacher and administrator in the Barrington, R.I., school system for thirty years, retiring in 1988 as an assistant principal. She was a member of the Veridames Society of Providence College, a volunteer in the Providence school system, and a member of the American Heart Association. A communicant of Blessed Sacrament Church, she is survived by three sons; six grandchildren, including Joseph ’03; and a brother, Walter Sammartino ’43.

Andrew B. Porter ’39, of Rumford, R.I.; Sept. 7. He was a credit manager at Brown & Sharpe Manufacturing Co. for forty-two years before he retired in 1982. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II and the Korean war, he retired as a captain. He was a member of St. Michael’s and Grace Episcopal Church for forty-five years, serving as senior warden from 1974 to 1976 and from 1984 to 1985. He also served as church treasurer from 1989 to 1994. He was a member of the Episcopal Diocesan Council from 1983 to 1989. He is survived by his wife, Ruth, 9 Clifford St., Rumford 02916; a stepson; and five grandchildren.


Marie “June” Purcell Beddoe ’40, of Warwick, R.I.; April 13. She was a design consultant at the Fabric Place in Warwick for seven years before she retired in 1999. She had been a social worker for the state of Rhode Island during the mid-1960s. A member of the Kent County Memorial Hospital Medical Auxiliary, she was a volunteer receptionist at the hospital for twenty years. She was a past president of the Rhode Island League of Women Voters and a member of the Barnes & Noble Book Club in Warwick, the Royal Crest Bridge Club, and the Foreign Affairs Discussion Group. She was a past president and treasurer of her Pembroke class. A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant during World War II, she is survived by a son, two daughters, two stepdaughters, fourteen grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren, and a sister.

Arthur W. Doherty ’40, of Berlin, Md.; Jan. 19. He was a civilian deputy of the Aegis shipbuilding program, one of the largest such programs of the U.S. Navy, which he helped establish in 1963. By the time he retired in 1987 he had accumulated thirty-five years of civilian and military service in the navy. He was deputy program manager of the Talos program in May 1968, when a Talos missile became the first U.S.-built missile to shoot down an enemy aircraft. A lieutenant commander during World War II, he was a highly decorated pilot. He is survived by his wife, Jane, a daughter, and a granddaughter.

Raymond E. Johnston ’40, of Rumford, R.I.; March 25. A registered pharmacist, he owned E.P. Anthony Apothecary Shop on Thayer Street, which was frequented by generations of Brown students. After retiring in 1976, he built and owned the Thayer Street building currently occupied by Store 24. A decorated veteran of World War II, he served with the 20th Army Air Corps during World War II, where he was a photo intelligence officer stationed in Saipan. A horticulture enthusiast, he became one of the University of Rhode Island’s first master gardeners. He was a founding member of the East Providence Conservation Land Trust and an active member of the Massachusetts Rhododendron Society. He was also former president of the Providence Camera Club. He had been a member of the University Club and the Providence Art Club and was a former deacon at Newman Congregational Church in Rumford. Lambda Chi Alpha. He is survived by his wife, M. Hazel, 91 Pleasant St., Rumford 02916 ; two daughters; a son; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

William H. Armstrong Sr. ’41, of Elizabeth City, N.C.; Feb. 16. He retired as a U.S. Navy commander in 1969. He then spent several years with a research firm before joining the Naval Air Systems Command in Washington, D.C., where he spent eight years working on design requirements for aviation functions on aircraft carriers. A World War II veteran, he received two Distinguished Flying Crosses, an Air Medal, and a Presidential Citation. He was a member of the Tailhook Association and the Retired Naval Officers Association, and was active in the Brown Alumni Association. A member of the First United Methodist Church in Elizabeth City, he served on the administrative board, the board of trustees, and as superintendent of the Sunday school. He was also a member of the Wesley Men’s Bible Class and the Methodist Men. He is survived by his wife, Marie, 106 Dogwood Tr., Elizabeth City 27909; two sons; a daughter; a stepdaughter; and eleven grandchildren.

Mary Scudder Case ’41, of East Hartford, Conn.; Nov. 9. She was a retired analyst at the Travelers Insurance Co. in Hartford. Survivors include her husband, Neil, 211 Long Hill Dr., East Hartford 06108.

William E. Smith ’41, of Lower Gwynedd, Pa.; Dec. 12. He was a research chemist at Rohmn and Haas until he retired in 1984. An active member of the First Presbyterian Church in Springfield, Pa., he had been a trustee and elder. He was also active in the Boy Scouts, serving as a scoutmaster in Flourtown, Pa., for many years and on the Baden Powell District Committee until his death. He was a life member of St. Andrews Lodge No. 39, AF&AM, of Riverside, R.I. He is survived by his wife, Alice, 728 Norristown Rd., Apt. G215, Lower Gwynedd 19002; a son; three grandchildren; and a sister.

Robert K. Rockwell ’42, of Barrington, R.I.; March 16. He was president of the former Rockwell Associates public relations firm for more than thirty years before he retired in 1983. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he served as a first lieutenant in the Signal Corps. He was a member of the Providence Art Club, the University Club, the Barrington Yacht Club, and First Unitarian Church of Providence. He enjoyed sailing, classical music, and photography. He is survived by a son, a daughter, a granddaughter, and a sister.

Betty Housel Stellar ’42, of Ardmore, Pa.; June 28, 2001.

John E. Andrews ’43, of West Falmouth, Mass.; Feb. 24, after a long illness. He retired in 1985 as a certified public accountant. A former candidate for town treasurer in Norwell, Mass., he was a member of the Norwell Rotary Club and treasurer of the town’s United Way fundraising drive. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. An experienced equestrian, he owned several horses and also enjoyed sailing. He is survived by his wife, Ruth, two daughters, and two sons.

Virginia Stevens Hood ’43, of Farmington, Maine; March 27. She was a school counselor in East Greenwich, R.I., from 1968 to 1978. She was previously on the teaching staff at Rhode Island Hospital. She was a member of the Barrington (R.I.) Congregational Church and the Old South Congregational Church in Farmington, where she sang in the choir, taught classes, and helped prepare children for confirmation. A longtime member of the patient-support team at Franklin Memorial Hospital, she is survived by two sons, a daughter, and five grandchildren.

George “Phil” Down Jr. ’44, of Lynn, Mass.; March 23 after a brief illness. He worked for more than forty years in the claims department of the former Traveler’s Insurance Co., retiring as district and regional manager. A U.S. Marine Corps veteran of World War II, he was injured in the Battle of Iwo Jima and received a Purple Heart. He was a member of the Marine Paratrooper Association, the Retired Officers Association, and the Lynn YMCA, where he was in the lap-swimmers’ club. He enjoyed reading and walking long distances. He is survived by his wife, Beatrice, two sons, and five grandchildren.

Dana H. Gallup ’44, of Cambridge, Mass.; Oct. 11, of prostate cancer. He retired as circuit executive for the U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit. Appointed in 1983, he also served as court clerk during his forty-one years at the circuit. He started his career there as court crier. As clerk, and later as circuit executive, he helped lawyers file legal briefs and helped people who could not afford lawyers understand legal terminology. He also introduced computers and new management techniques. He served under many distinguished chief judges, including U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer. He served as chairman of the board of deacons at the Old Cambridge Baptist Church and as moderator of the First Baptist Church in Newton Centre, Mass. A U.S. Army Air Corps veteran of World War II, he flew B-24 bombers around stateside bases and received his law degree before finishing his undergraduate studies. He is survived by his wife, Clara; three sons; and four grandchildren.

John S. Bliven Sr. ’45, of St. Simons Island, Ga.; April 12. He retired as a senior vice president at Bankers Trust after forty-five years with the company. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he was a member of Christ Church on St. Simons Island and its choir. He was also on the board of Mary House. He is survived by his wife, Mary, two sons, a daughter, and five grandchildren.

J. Judson Mealy ’45, of Rockford, Mich.; March 1. He was general manager of Bell Fiber Products from 1969 until he retired in 1988. He was a member of the Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry for fifty years and was past chairman of the Michigan chapter of the Fiber Box Association. A past president of the board of Junior Achievement, he also served on the Salvation Army board, the library board and planning commissions for the city of Rockford, and the vestry of St. Mark’s Church in Grand Rapids, Mich. A golfer, he was a member of Blythefield Country Club. He served in the Pacific theater during World War II as a lieutenant junior grade in the U.S. Navy submarine services. At Brown he was president of Phi Gamma Delta. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by his wife, Jane, 235 S. Main St., Rockford 49341; four daughters; and seven grandchildren.

Jeannie C. Stewart ’45, of Okeechobee, Fla.; Oct. 26, of cardiac disease. She had been an administrator at the English Speaking Union in Boston. A world traveler, she spent much of her time in England and Scotland. Survivors include a brother, Winston, 4276 Hwy. 441 South, Okeechobee 34974.

Leonard Drum ’46, of New York City; March 18, after a long struggle with cancer. He was a featured actor on Broadway in Marat Sade, Walking Happy, and as Black Eagle in the revival of Whoopee! He also appeared off-Broadway, on television on the Ozzie and Harriet Show, and in the movie All That Jazz. He toured in The Music Man as the mayor of River City. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. There are no immediate survivors.

Alexander Murchie Jr. ’46, of New London, N.H.; Feb. 11. He was manager and vice president of the Claremont Coca-Cola Bottling Co. from 1963 until he retired in 1988. He started working for Coca-Cola in Atlanta in 1948. In retirement he did consulting work for the Coca-Cola Building Co. of Northern New England. At the time of his death he was president of the New Hampshire Soft Drink Association. He received the New Hampshire Retail Grocers Association’s 1955 Hall of Fame Award. He was a member of New Hampshire Beautiful. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he served in the Pacific and is survived by his wife, Anne; a daughter; a son; and two grandchildren.

Fred Parkinson Jr. ’46, of Seminole, Fla.; Feb. 25, 2000. He was a retired sales engineer. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.

William Hollis Tegarden ’46, of Princeton, N.J.; April 14. After retiring as a Unitarian minister, he worked in market research at George Gallup Research Associates from 1958 until he retired. In 1997 he published a book, The Bible Nobody Knows, an introduction for laymen to modern biblical scholarship and the influence of recent discoveries on our understanding of traditional biblical narratives. While training for the ministry, he preached in the Arlington Street Church and King’s Chapel in Massachusetts. He then served at the First Parish Unitarian church in Marblehead, Mass., and later in Portland, Maine. A summer resident of Jamestown, R.I., for more than forty-five years, he is survived by his wife, Lois Thornton Tegarden ’46, 25 Edwards Pl., Princeton 08540; two daughters, including Deborah ’71; a son; and three grandchildren.

Ray H. Bowen ’47, of Merritt Island, Fla.; Dec. 13, after a long struggle with cancer. After starting a State Farm insurance agency in 1956, he was appointed area manager of State Farm agencies in Miami. Ranked among the top agency managers in the country, he worked for State Farm until he retired in 1989. He was also active in the Naval Reserve, commanding naval intelligence units in Jacksonville and Miami before he retired with the rank of captain in 1976. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he served in an armed guard unit aboard merchant ships, commanding a gun crew that shot down four German aircraft, for which he was awarded a Bronze Star. He was active in the Miami Springs Baptist Church. He is survived by his wife, Nancy; a son; a daughter; three grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and two brothers.

John E. White ’47, of Topeka, Kans.; June 7, 2001, of leukemia.

Rupert H. Austin Jr. ’48, of Avon, Conn.; April 8. He worked for Huyck USA for thirty years, retiring as a senior sales engineer. He served in the U.S. Army 2nd Armored Division during World War II. He was a lay speaker in the United Methodist Church and an ordained deacon and elder in the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. He taught Sunday school for thirty-two years and was active in his church’s prison ministry and the Loaves and Fishes Food Kitchen. He was former president of the Rotary Club of Suffield, Conn., and the Suffield Council of Churches. He is survived by his wife, Doris, a daughter, a son, and six grandchildren.

Warren L. Carleen ’48, of Brewster, Mass.; March 6. He was an advertising manager at Dennison Manufacturing Co. before he retired in 1988. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he served in Europe and was a member of VFW Post 440 in Newton, Mass. A former scoutmaster of Troop 301 in Newtonville, Mass., he received the Silver Beaver Award. He enjoyed gardening. At Brown he was editor of the Brown Daily Herald. He is survived by his wife, Barbara, 20 Landing Dr., Brewster 02631; four sons; seven grandchildren; and a sister, Mildred Carleen Hulse ’39.

Arthur M. Closson ’48, of Allentown, Pa.; April 8. A civil engineer, he retired in 1982 after thirty-four years at Bethlehem Steel. He was a former deacon and elder of Faith United Church of Christ and a member of its “over-the-hill gang.” A member of the Men of Retirement Age Club in Allentown, he was a former member of the South Whitehall Lions Club. He received the 1994 Service to Mankind Award from the Allentown Sertoma Club. He was a former volunteer for Lehigh County Meals on Wheels and Daybreak. He is survived by his wife, Carol, a son, two daughters, and six grandchildren.

Emmett S. Esary ’48, of Pittsburgh, Pa.; Feb. 2, 2002. He was a retired manufacturing representative.

John R. Martin ’48, of Medford, N.J.; June 6, 2002. He was a retired engineer. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he served as an aerographer.

Robert F. Elliott ’49, of Laguna Hills, Calif.; April 11, of complications from myelofibrosis. He was prominent in the Boston banking and business community during the 1960s and 1970s. A specialist in commercial lending and loan workouts, he had been president and owner of the Sudbury Capital Co. and Eastern Capital Corp. He also served as senior credit officer of the New England Merchants National Bank, executive vice president of the Massachusetts Business Development Corp., and principal officer of two venture capital corporations. He was on the boards of a number of commercial and charitable organizations, including the Charles Street Meetinghouse and the Walker School. He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, two daughters, a son, and seven grandchildren.

Suzanne Dean Franke ’49, of Scarborough, Maine; Dec. 1.

Charles D. Keyes ’49, of East Greenwich, R.I.; April 6. He was an auditor at Amica Insurance for thirty-nine years before he retired in 1987. He had been a member of the East Greenwich zoning board since 1995. A board member of the East Greenwich Ecumenical Council, he was also president of the East Greenwich First Baptist Church and served on its board of deacons and trustees. He was former chairman of the town school committee and Republican Town Committee and a former member of the town planning board. Also active in the Rotary International and East Greenwich Rotary Club, he was named a Paul Harris Fellow. He was former chair of the board of the American Heart Association, which awarded him its Distinguished Service and Leadership Award. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He is survived by his wife, A. Beatrice Keyes, 101 Pine Glen Dr., East Greenwich 02818; and two daughters.

Frank E. Webb ’49, of Poway, Calif.; Feb. 11, after a long struggle with cancer. He was a computer analyst at the Arabian American Oil Co. in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, from 1952 until he retired in 1982. A U.S. Army Air Forces veteran of World War II, he served as a navigator of a B-24 Liberator in Southern England and received the Distinguished Flying Cross. An avid golfer, he won several tournaments. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; his stepmother; a son; and a stepbrother.

H. Macy Webster ’49, of Saunderstown, R.I.; Dec. 27. A retired building contractor, he owned H. Macy Webster Inc. He was also a Rhode Island Republican state representative in the 1960s. A former member of the North Kingstown, R.I., planning commission, he was a past commodore of the Saunderstown Yacht Club and a member of the Wickford Catboat Association and Save the Bay. He was a senior warden at St. John the Divine Church. A U.S. Army Air Force veteran of World War II, he is survived by his wife, Martha, 80 Narragansett Rd., Saunderstown 02874; two sons; two daughters; nine grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and a sister.


William J. Cooney ’50, of Charlotte, N.C.; Oct. 10. He obtained three U.S. patents while working as a textile chemist in Providence; Greenville, S.C.; and Chattanooga, Tenn. He was a member of the Exchange Club, the Knights of Columbus, and St. John Newman Catholic Church. He was a Who’s Who man of science. A U.S. Marine Corps veteran of World War II, he served in the Pacific. He is survived by his wife, Mary, 7404 Ritter Dr., Charlotte 28270; two sons; two daughters; three granddaughters; a brother; and a sister.

Verna Bailey Malloy ’50, of Stonington, Ct.; Jan. 10. She was a retired librarian in public and private schools in the New York City area for many years. After retiring she enjoyed reading, gardening, cooking, and entertaining. A longtime resident of Tenafly, N.J., she is survived by three daughters, including Priscilla Breen Malloy, 4 Nod Brook Ln., Simsbury, Conn. 06070; a son; six grandchildren; a brother, Paul Bailey ’67; and a sister. She was the widow of John Breen Malloy ’49.

William H. McCraw ’50, of Jamestown, R.I.; April 13. He worked at the former Rhode Island Hospital Trust National Bank for more than thirty years, retiring as a vice president. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II and the Korean War, he served in the Rhode Island Army National Guard, retiring in 1970 as a brigadier general. He received the Legion of Merit. In 1973, as cochair of the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce, he led an effort to prevent the closing of Quonset Point Naval Air Station in North Kingstown, R.I., and the trimming of operations at the Newport, R.I., naval base. He sang in the choir at St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church and was a member of the Jamestown Community Chorus. He also enjoyed painting, sculpting, and traveling. He is survived by his wife, Mary, two daughters, two stepdaughters, twelve step-grandchildren, and a brother.

Ronald E. Stenning ’50, of Dayton, Ohio; March 22. An Episcopal minister, he was a retired executive of the development, relief, and refugee agency Church World Services. He was in charge of the agency’s world-hunger and international refugee programs. He previously served in Providence and as rector of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Oakwood, Ohio. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he served in Europe. He was on the board of Heifer Project International and the Miami Valley Child Development Center, and was board chairman of Community Connections, the case-management arm of the New Futures Project in Dayton. He is survived by his wife, Anne, three daughters, six grandchildren, and a brother, Gordon ’52.

John A. Underhill ’50, of Hernando, Fla.; Sept. 27. He retired after thirty-six years as an advisory physicist at IBM in Burlington, Vt. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, he was a member of Sigma Pi Sigma, the American Physical Society, and the Society of Photographic Instrumentation Engineers. He was also a member of Citrus Hills Golf and Country Club and First Congregational Church in Burlington. He was past president of the Citrus Hills Civic Association and the Hampton Hills Property Owners Association . He is survived by his wife, Mary-Louise; five sons; a daughter; and eleven grandchildren.

Henry G. Bowen ’51, of Worcester, Mass.; Dec. 2, after an illness. He was pastor of St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church from 1982 until his death. Ordained in 1956 in Rome, he served as assistant pastor at St. Mary’s Parish in Southbridge, Mass., before he was appointed to the ministry of the Tribunal of the Diocese of Worcester in 1959. He was a part-time faculty member at Anna Maria College in Paxton, Mass., and served as assistant judicial vicar and assistant chancellor for the Worcester Diocese while in residence at St. Paul’s Cathedral Rectory. He was appointed copastor of St. Mary’s Parish in Milford, Mass., in 1973, and served there until he joined St. Charles. He was a past president of the Canon Law Society of America. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by two sisters and two brothers.

Thomas H. Martin ’51, of Sarasota, Fla.; Dec. 24. He owned Ace Products Southwest in Sarasota. A U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he was a member of St. Thomas More Catholic Church. He is survived by his wife, Blanche, 1512 Pelican Cove Rd., Sarasota 34231; and a sister.

William P. Winslow Jr. ’51, of Bellevue, Idaho; Nov. 23. Survivors include a son, William III, 3101 Stagg Hill Rd., Manhattan, Kans. 66502.

William L. Howard Jr. ’52, of Potomac, Md.; March 21, after a heart attack. An aviation lawyer, he represented the US Airways forerunner, Allegheny Airlines, before the Civil Aeronautics Board as the company expanded in the 1960s and 1970s. His work helped turn US Airways into one of the world’s largest airlines. He worked for Allegheny for thirteen years, until 1979, and then ran a private practice in Washington, D.C., from 1980 to 1988 and worked in sales and marketing for AEC Design Group. A former senior trial lawyer for the federal agency that regulated air transportation, he had also worked in the office of the general counsel at the Civil Aeronautics Board. He was a U.S. Marine Corps captain in the 1950s, serving in the office of the judge advocate general in El Toro, Calif. He was active in Alcoholics Anonymous and a member of the Del Ray Club in Bethesda. He is survived by his wife, Jude, a son, a daughter, five grandchildren, and a brother.

Joan Smith Morse ’52, of Providence; March 2. She was a homemaker and active volunteer. A longtime resident of North Attleboro, Mass., she was on the board of Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro, where she had been a volunteer for forty-seven years, and where the Joan Morse Intensive Care Unit was named in her honor. She was also on the board of the Hockomock YMCA, where the Joan Morse Youth Center was named in her honor. She was past president of the Fidamie Club, a member of the Junior Kalmia Club, and a member of the Abbot Run Valley Club, where she played tennis. A life master bridge player, she was a member of the Wayland Bridge Club. She is survived by a son, a daughter, five grandchildren, and a brother.

R. Ann Perry ’52, of New York City; Jan. 29. She retired in 1997 after twenty years as a fund-raiser for the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor. An animal lover and a longtime volunteer at Lenox Hill Hospital, she is survived by a sister, Judith Connolly, 345 Mt. Airy Rd., Basking Ridge, N.J. 07920; two nephews; and two nieces.

Alan P. Fort Jr. ’53, of Denver; Aug. 24, 2002.

Janet Crandell Greene ’53, of Austin, Tex.; Oct. 28, of a head injury after falling off a bicycle. She retired as a computer trainer at Valcom Business Center in Portland, Maine. Before raising her family she worked with children at the Lexington School for the Deaf in New York City. Active in her community, she was a member of the Austin Traditional Jazz Society. She also joined a bike group, tennis group, and bridge club. She is survived by two daughters, a son, five grandchildren, and a sister.

Harry R. Hauser ’53, of Newton, Mass., and Wolfeboro, N.H.; Feb. 6, of cancer. He was a partner of the Boston law firm Gadsby Hannah from 1971 to 2001. He previously worked for the Hotel Corp. of America, where he created a legal department and served as general counsel and vice president, traveling extensively in Europe to establish and operate new hotels. He had also worked in the legal department of the Remington Rand Division of Sperry Rand Corp. He served as an officer in the U.S. Navy’s Hurricane Hunters squadron and in a squadron that manned the Airborne Early Warning extension of the Distant Early Warning line. He was trustee and general counsel of the Boston Harbor Association and was trustee and chairman of the legal committee of Temple Israel in Boston. He was also a director and president of Boston’s North Bennet Street School. He enjoyed making furniture. An active fund-raiser for Brown, he had been a director of the Brown Club of Boston and president of his class. He is survived by his wife, Deborah, 1175 Chestnut St., #2, Newton 02464; four sons, Mark ’77, Joshua ’81, Bradford ’85, and Matthew ’89; four daughters-in-law, including Susan Motamed ’90; ten grandchildren; and a brother.

Thomas W. Luff ’53, of Christiansted, St. Croix; Jan. 20, of complications following surgery. He retired in 2002 after a long career in real estate. He and his wife moved to the Virgin Islands in 1993 and lived aboard a sailboat, moving ashore after Hurricane Marilyn. He previously lived in Westboro, Mass., where he ran New England Homes, his own real estate company, for many years. He attended the Church of the Nativity in Northboro, Mass., and assisted in the effort to add stained-glass windows and to build a new church hall. He previously attended St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Congregational Church. In 1973 he was instrumental in opening the Grove Street halfway house for boys. He hosted many international visitors through the Experiment in International Living. A U.S. Navy lieutenant, he served in the Mediterranean and then worked for a time at Raytheon. He enjoyed boating, blacksmithing, jazz, and handyman projects, and was active in Town Meeting. He is survived by his wife, Jocelyn; three daughters, including Jennifer Luff Church, 49 Hamilton Rd., Northboro, Mass. 01532; two sons; five grandchildren; two sisters; and his former wife, Jane Treynor Luff ’53.

Frederick L. Reynolds Jr. ’53, of Groton, Mass.; Feb. 16. He retired in 2000 as a senior vice president at Fidelity Investment Services. He joined Fidelity in Boston in 1971, serving as a portfolio manager and security analyst, and also worked at its Marlborough branch. He previously worked at Provident Mutual Insurance and National Shawmut Bank. He was former chairman of the board of Deaconess-Nashoba Hospital in Ayer, Mass., an overseer of Simon’s Rock College in Great Barrington, Mass., and past president of the board of the Indian Hill Music Center. He enjoyed sailing and growing orchids. He is survived by his wife, Joan; two sons, including Mathew ’82; two daughters, including Victoria ’90; seven grandchildren; and two brothers.

William J. Veitch ’54, of East Providence; April 12. He was national sales manager at the Providence-based Federal Products from 1978 until he retired due to illness in 1992. He joined the company in 1958, serving in Los Angeles and as a branch manager in Indianapolis. An avid runner, he logged 36,000 miles and participated in eight marathons and six triathlons. He enjoyed cross-country skiing and radio-controlled airplanes. He was a member of the Lymphoma Research Foundation of America and is survived by his companion, Jean Downey; his mother, Mary; a son; a daughter; and two grandsons.

Charlotte McGinnis English ’54, of Malibu, Calif.; March 29, of respiratory failure. An arts patron, she also supported programs for the needy and was active in presenting and performing children’s theater productions. A painter and singer, she was a communicant of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer and is survived by two nephews and a niece.

James W. Jackson ’56, of Wellesley, Mass.; Dec. 26, after suffering a stroke. He was vice president of human resources at Berkshire Realty Holdings. In 1996 he passed the bar exam in Massachusetts, and later did the same in Florida and Illinois; he was hoping to practice law upon his retirement. He previously worked in human resources for General Electric in Schenectady, N.Y., for fifteen years. He served in the U.S. Air Force in Korea and Japan as a judge advocate general before he was discharged in 1963 with the rank of captain. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by his wife, Sandra, 34-2 Pleasant St., Wellesley 02482; a son; a daughter; two grandchildren; and a brother.

Earl P. Perkins ’56, of Rumford, R.I.; April 16, unexpectedly. He was an assistant financial officer at Women & Infants Hospital for twenty years until he retired in 2001. He was a member of the Dunes Club in Narragansett, R.I., and the Providence Art Club. A former member of the Point Judith Country Club, he was a communicant of St. Margaret Church and a former communicant of the Church of St. Sebastian. He is survived by his wife, Margaret, 99 Jay St., Rumford 02916; a daughter; and twin granddaughters.

William W. Paray Jr. ’58, of Trumbull, Conn.; Aug. 21, after an eight-month struggle with cancer. He owned Bustop Shelters Group in Fairfield, Conn., until he retired and became a consultant. He was previously vice president of Supermarket Communications Systems and a sales representative for Warner Packaging Co. He served in the U.S. Air National Guard and was an avid fly fisherman. Phi Beta Kappa and Pi Lambda Phi. He is survived by his wife, Audrey, 15 Elmsted Rd., Trumbull 06611; a daughter; a son; five grandchildren; and a sister.

Edward J. Rossetti ’58, of North Andover, Mass.; March 21. He retired as a data processing manager at Sappi Fine Paper in Boston. More recently he worked as a security guard at the Addison Gallery of American Art at Phillips Academy in Andover. He served in the U.S. Army and is survived by his wife, Gilda, 11 Putnam Rd., North Andover 01845; a son; daughter; a granddaughter; and a brother.


Donald T. Bliss ’61, of North Port, Fla.; March 27. He was a retired lawyer and Massachusetts state legislator. He was elected in 1962 to fill his late father’s seat in the state House of Representatives; at the time he was twenty-four and the state’s youngest legislator. He decided in 1976 not to seek reelection and for the rest of his career focused on his legal practice. He was a longtime supporter of North Attleboro, Mass., youth sports and was involved in the Massachusetts Society Against Cruelty to Children. He was a member of North Attleboro’s Representative Town Meeting and was a North Attleboro volunteer firefighter. He was also active in Brown alumni activities. He is survived by two sons, including Donald Jr. ’85; a daughter, Rebecca ’92; four grandchildren; three brothers, including Bruce ’57 and Robert ’65; and his former wife.

Muriel Morgan Threlfall ’61, of Boston; Jan. 6, of colon cancer. She chaired the Goodwill Industries Guild Embassy Tour, an annual fund-raising event in Washington, D.C., during the 1970s and early 1980s. A boardmember of the United Services Organization of Washington, D.C., she was a trustee of Davis Memorial Goodwill Industries and was on the women’s committee of the National Symphony Orchestra. She also held fund-raisers for Democratic political candidates, the Beethoven Society of Washington, the Salvation Army, and the Washington Ballet. While living in Annapolis, Md., in the mid-1980s, she volunteered at the Severn School, which helps students prepare for the U.S. Naval Academy. In the 1990s she was active in restoring old houses in the Washington, D.C., area, and her home and gardens were featured in a number of tours. She is survived by three daughters, a granddaughter, and a brother.

Richard N. Nelson ’63, of Myrtle Beach, S.C.; March 22. He was a retired radiologist who had practiced in Northampton, Mass., Parkersburg, W.Va., and outside Myrtle Beach. He was a lifelong aviation enthusiast with many ratings and was a competitive sailplane pilot. He also enjoyed skiing, snowboarding, windsurfing, and kite boarding. He is survived by his wife, Mary, 107 Holly Ln., Briar Cliffe Acres, Myrtle Beach 29572; his parents, Everett and Lillian; a daughter, Kristin ’92; a son; and a sister.

Richard R. Pannone ’64, of Greenville, R.I.; April 2, 2002. He retired in 1999 as treasurer and executive vice president of Fleet Financial Group, where he had worked for thirty-five years. A communicant of St. Philip Church, he is survived by his wife, Constance, 33 Cider Lane, Greenville 02828; his parents, Angelo and Dora; three sons; three grandchildren; and a brother.

Margaret A. Dobbie ’65, of Ashland, N.H.; March 24, after a long struggle with breast cancer. She was hired in 1981 as executive director of the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League (NARAL) of New Hampshire, which she led for twenty years. Under her direction, membership increased tenfold and the grassroots political organization became one of the most effective in the state. During her tenure no pro-life legislation passed in the New Hampshire legislature. She helped elect many pro-choice candidates. When she retired in 2001 she became the choice vote coordinator for then-governor Jeanne Shaheen’s unsuccessful campaign for the U.S. Senate. She was honored by the Manchester (N.H.) YMCA, the Tides Foundation of San Francisco, the New Hampshire Family Planning Council, the New Hampshire Civil Liberties Union, and the national NARAL. She previously taught for a year at the Winnisquam Regional Middle School in Tilton, N.H. In the 1970s she taught fourth grade in the Walpole, Mass., public schools and at Union-Sanborn Elementary in Northfield, N.H. She had also worked at Northeastern University and at the Neighborhood Youth Corps in Haverhill, Mass. After graduation she served as a field worker and community organizer in Alabama for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. As a Pembroke student she was a Freedom School Teacher in Mississippi during the Mississippi Freedom Summer of 1964. She also participated in the Selma-to-Montgomery civil rights march. She enjoyed traveling and the outdoors. She is survived by her husband, Philip Preston; her father, James; and a brother.


Robert G. Berger ’76, Silver Spring, Md.; April 14 of cancer. He was board chairman and retired CEO of CityNet Telecommunications, which he founded three years ago. The company pioneered the technique of using small robotic devices to string fiber-optic cables through sewer pipes and directly into urban buildings, which promised to bring fast Internet access to urban office buildings. The company became one of the nation’s top broadband infrastructure providers. Berger had also been chairman of the Washington, D.C., Suburban Sanitary Commission. A lawyer who specialized in telecommunications, he was a senior attorney at Swidler & Berlin, which helped push through the Telecommunications Act of 1996, before starting CityNet. He previously worked for White & Case and Pepper Hamilton. He was also senior vice president of Winstar Communications and National Billing and Collection Inc. He was on the operating board of the Association for Local Telecommunications Services. He wrote articles for many legal and industry publications. A Democratic activist in Montgomery County, Md., he twice ran unsuccessfully for the Maryland House of Delegates. He served as a precinct chairman and headed campaigns for his local Democratic Party, which named him Democrat of the Year in 1984. He had also been president of the Montgomery County Mental Health Association and a boardmember of the Mental Health Association of Maryland. He was a member of the local Commission on Aging and participated in Leadership Montgomery. He is survived by his wife, Barbara Sweeney ’78; his parents, Alfred and Betty; and a son.

Joel P. Maksymowicz ’77, of Medfield, Mass.; Feb. 19, of a heart attack while skiing with his family. He was manager of marketing information and business intelligence at Agilent Technologies in Palo Alto, Calif. He previously worked at Bayer Diagnostics Corp., Bain and Co., Mercer Consulting, Interactive Market Systems, and George Fine Research. He enjoyed skiing, hiking, and cooking. He is survived by his wife, Tanya Chermak Maksymowicz ’79; his stepmother; two sons; two brothers; two stepbrothers; and two stepsisters.


Tracy E. Giordano ’85, of Pawtucket, R.I.; Dec. 2, 2000.


Gabriel B. Stepto ’92, of Barcelona, Spain; Feb. 10, suddenly. He was a translator, painter, editor, and poet. He worked in publishing at Scribner’s, where he edited The African American Years in 2003 and was at work on The Hispanic American Years at the time of his death. With his mother he completed a new translation from the Spanish of Catalina de Erauso’s Lieutenant Nun (Beacon Press, 1996), which was a New York Times Book Review notable book of the year. He also worked in foreign banks and as vice president and president of burgeoning dot-com businesses. He devoted much of his attention to painting after the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center, which he witnessed from his Brooklyn apartment. At Brown his studies in Spanish, Catalan, and Italian led to terms at the Institute for Catalan Studies in Barcelona and at the University of Bologna in Italy. He also won creative writing prizes and placed poems in such journals as Callaloo and the Kenyon Review. He received the Rosalie Colie Prize in Comparative Literature at Brown in 1993. He is survived by his wife, Anna Gargiulo Stepto, and her family; his parents, Michele and Robert, 80 Rimmon Rd., Woodbridge, Conn. 06525; his grandfather; and a brother, Rafael. Memorial donations may be made to the Gabriel Stepto Scholarship Fund at Hopkins School, 986 Forest Rd., New Haven, Conn. 06515.


Michael J. Archer ’02, of New York City.; April 3. He worked for Casimir Capital. At Brown he was a member of Theta Delta Chi and a linebacker on the football team the year the Bears won the Ivy title. He graduated as salutatorian of Venice (Fla.) High School and was quarterback on the football team there. A member of Epiphany Cathedral, he is survived by his parents, Yvonne and Michael, and three sisters.


William G. McLean ’33 Sc.M., of Scranton, Pa.; Dec. 21. An engineering professor at Lafayette College, his alma mater, he joined the faculty in 1934 and served as director of engineering from 1962 until he retired in 1975. He also headed the engineering science department for almost thirty years. He co-authored Analytical Mechanics for Engineers in 1965 and Outline of Theory and Problems in Engineering Mechanics in 1952. He previously taught for three years at West Scranton High School. During World War II he took a leave of absence to serve as a senior physicist for war production at Eastman Kodak’s Special Products Division. A three-time recipient of the Thomas Roy and Lura Forrest Jones Award for superior teaching, he was also among the first to recommend opening Lafayette to female students. He received the college’s Donald L. Golden Alumni Association Award. He chaired the Hugh Moore Park Commission in 1970. He was active for more than thirty years in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. He is survived by three nephews.


John G. Herriot ’41 Ph.D., of Palo Alto, Calif.; March 16, after a brief illness. A professor emeritus of mathematics at Stanford, he guided the university’s early computer science program in the 1950s and 1960s. He retired in 1982 after four decades at Stanford. He was handpicked in 1952 to lead the new Stanford Computation Center, which had just acquired its first computer, an IBM Card Programmed Calculator. As the center’s director from 1953 to 1961, he provided services at first to a few researchers, but later to the entire university. In 1955 he taught Stanford’s first programming course. Earlier in his career he studied airflow over airplane wings in the Ames Aeronautical Laboratory at Moffett Field. He previously taught math at Yale. In retirement he was an avid skier and an usher at the San Francisco Opera. He is survived by his wife, Sally ’41 A.M., three sons, a daughter, six grandchildren, and two sisters.


Edward Allison Gradijan ’56 A.M., of Brooklyn, N.Y.; Feb. 22, 2002. Survivors include a brother, Jack, 52 Walnut St., Needham, Mass. 02492.


Ernest Capstack Jr. ’59 Ph.D., of Knoxville, Tenn.; Jan. 11, 2001.


Hannibal H. Madden ’59 Ph.D., of Port Angeles, Wash.; March 22, in a sailing accident. He was a retired professor of physics at Wayne State University in Detroit. He was still conducting research at the time of his death. He had also worked at Sandia Labs in Albuquerque, N.Mex., and had been a visiting scientist in Germany three times—in Darmstadt, where he spent a year as a Fulbright scholar, and in Hanover and Goettingen, where he worked at the Max Planck and Fritz Haber institutes. He was in Berlin in 1989 for the fall of the Berlin Wall. He also spent a year as a visiting scientist in Campinas, Brazil. Fluent in German, he studied Portuguese, Spanish, and other languages. He was a lifelong member of the American Vacuum Society and the Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft. He enjoyed sailing, listening to international music, traveling, folk dancing, and swimming. He was also an amateur radio operator. He is survived by his wife, Jean, 1018 Tamarack Ln., Port Angeles 98362; two sons; and three grandchildren.


Douglas V. Kinne ’62 M.A.T., of Chandler, Ariz.; Oct. 4, 1999. He was a retired math teacher.


Kenneth J. Preskenis ’71 Ph.D., of South Boston, Mass.; Dec. 1, of a heart attack. He was a mathematics professor at Framingham (Mass.) State College and a popular teacher and Little League coach in South Boston, where he was born and raised. While on sabbatical from Framingham State in the early 1990s, he started the Math Olympics program at South Boston’s five parochial schools. Over the years he volunteered weekly in the schools, teaching mathematics to children who were interested. He was a Little League coach for forty-three years. Earlier in his career he taught at Boston College and at Newton (Mass.) College of the Sacred Heart, where he was head of the math department. He published many works in mathematics journals. He was a member of the American Mathematical Society and the Mathematical Association of America. A member of the South Boston Athletic Hall of Fame, he received the Michael E. Glynn South Boston Community Service Award in 1990. He is survived by his wife, Elaine; his mother, Alice; and a sister.


Karen L. Landahl ’82 Ph.D., of Chicago; Feb. 2, of cancer. She was a linguistics professor and associate dean for information and language technologies at the University of Chicago. Her research focused on using computers to understand speech impediments; surgeons applied her work to correct children’s mouth deformities. She showed that children have five different styles of acquiring language. She previously worked at MIT in the speech communication department and was a researcher at the University of Illinois Medical Center in Chicago. She enjoyed going to symphonies and museums and was a member of the local Brown Club. She is survived by her husband, John Crenson, and her parents, John and Betty.

What do you think?
See what other readers are saying about this article and add your voice. 
Related Issue
July / August 2003