By The Editors / January / February 2007
February 12th, 2007


Ralph L. Ainscough ’31, of New Smyrna Beach, Fla.; Oct. 13. He worked in the accounting department at J. & P. Coats Thread Manufacturer in Pawtucket, R.I. He also was a manager and accountant at Rhode Island Country Club in Barrington, R.I. He was a member of Pawtucket Congregational Church for seventy-eight years and its church choir for seventy-one years. He attended the United Church of Christ and was also a member of the University Glee Club and the Lions Club. He enjoyed tennis, swimming, and reading. He is survived by his wife, Grace; two daughters, including Marjorie Ainscough Parker ’67; four grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Ned L. Brody ’31, of Longboat Key, Fla.; Aug. 5. He was prominent in the shoe industry and was listed in Who’s Who in American Industry. At Brown he was a member of the wrestling team and the Brown symphony orchestra. He was active in the Sarasota, Fla., Brown Club and has been involved in fund-raising with several Brown presidents. He is survived by his wife, Helen Lewis Brody; a daughter; two sons, Robert S. Brody ’57 and Jerry Brody ’63; eight grandchildren; and ten great-grandchildren.

Dorothy Noble Newmarker ’31, of Warwick, R.I.; June 2. She served as a U.S. Navy lieutenant communications officer during World War II and the Korean War. She was a member of the Pembroke Club, the Edgewood Women’s Club, and the Church of the Transfiguration in Edgewood. She enjoyed gardening, knitting, reading, and astronomy. She is survived by her sister.

Beatrice Grossman Gates ’32, of New York City; April 25. She received her master’s degree in social work from Simmons College in 1932. The ultimate New Yorker , she was an avid tennis player who begrudgingly gave up the game in her eighties. The widow of Nathan H. Gates ’30 and mother of Alice Gates Conrad ’61, she is survived by two daughters, Martha Gates Hays ’67 and Caroline Gates Anderson ’71, and granddaughter Nicole Gates Anderson ’05.

Carolyn Minkins Stanley ’32, of Pawtucket, R.I.; Sept. 18. She worked in the stock department at the Bank of America. A first lieutenant in the Women’s Army Corps, she was a member of the Church of the Advent in Pawtucket and the Church of the Incarnation in Santa Rosa, Calif. She also was a member of the Hamilton House, Providence. She is survived by a son and her sister, Beatrice Carter Minkins ’36.

Max D. Stein ’32, of Weston, Mass.; Aug. 15. He was a retired physician who served as a major in the U.S. Army Air Force during World War II. He is survived by two daughters; two grandchildren, including Robert Fishman ’05; and a sister.

Frances Merle Young ’32, of Towson, Md.; Sept. 11. She was a leader in the Episcopal Church and longtime advocate for lay ministry. She began her career at the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer in Baltimore, where she oversaw the church’s growing Sunday school classes. From 1938 to 1943 she served a similar role for the Episcopal Diocese of California. After working on the staff of the Department of Christian Education for the National Episcopal Church in New York, she returned to the Baltimore church in 1947 as Sunday school leader, and remained for twelve years. She also wrote a children’s bedtime prayer. She became executive director of the General Division of Women’s Work for the National Episcopal Church in 1960, and from 1970 to 1972 was the coordinator for lay ministry of the Episcopal Church. Her education work took her to Hong Kong and Macau. She retired in 1976 but remained active in the church matters, serving on the vestry and the board of the Episcopal Women’s History Project. In lectures to church groups around Baltimore, she talked about humor in the Bible and gave slide presentations on historical depictions of the crucifixion. She is survived by three nieces and a nephew.

Frances Burnet Barnes Sumner ’33, of Acton and Vineyard Haven, Mass.; Sept. 27, of pancreatic cancer. She is survived by a daughter, two sons, two grandchildren, and a sister, Muriel Barnes Jerome ’31.

Dorothy Greene Vernet ’34, of Ridgefield, Conn.; Aug. 27. She is survived her husband, Russell V. Vernet, Sr., and a son.

Annette Aaronian Baronian ’36, of Pompano Beach, Fla.; Aug. 12. She was the personnel director of the former Coro Manufacturing Co. She was past president of the Personnel Club of the Greater Providence YMCA, past president of the Rhode Island Personnel Club, and past president of the women’s guild of the Armenian Congregational Church in Providence, where she had been a Sunday school teacher for twenty-five years. She was a volunteer secretary at Sea Haven Yacht Club in Pompano Beach for many years. She was her class’s reunion chair for more than thirty years. She is survived by a daughter and two grandchildren.

Raphael “Ray” Paola Jr. ’36, of Cranston, R.I.; Sept. 17. He was president and treasurer of Raphael Paola insurance company in Cranston for more than fifty years, retiring in 1991. He was a charter member of Insurance Consultants of Cranston; a member of the board of directors of Independent Insurance Agents of Cranston; a member of Independent Insurance Agents of Rhode Island; a member of Professional Insurance Agents of New England; a member of the board of directors of the Better Business Bureau; a past board member of Cranston Chamber of Commerce, which awarded him the Gerald Kaplan Business Man of the Year Award in 1988; and a past member of the Metacomet Country Club. The city of Cranston awarded him the Garden Club Beautification Award for his horticultural talents and interests. He is survived by his wife, Leonora (“Lee”), a son, two daughters, and four grandchildren.

John “Jack” H. Pierce ’36, of Lombard, Ill.; Aug. 13, 2005. He was a partner at the Pierce Electric Co. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was a member of the Rotary Club of Chicago for twenty-five years. He is survived by his wife, Pearl, a son, two daughters, six grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and two brothers.

Charles V. Tallman ’37, of Rye Beach, N.H.; Oct. 3. He spent most of his career at the U.S. Rubber Co. as a chemical engineer and later for Sanders Associates. He was a member of Rye Congregational Church. A life member of the Rye Lions Club and the American Chemical Society, he was a former chairman of the board of the New Hampshire Association for the Blind, was active with the Appalachian Mountain Club, and served on the Rye Planning Board and the Rockingham Regional Planning Commission. He enjoyed skiing, boating, and forest management. He is survived by his wife, Louise, three sons, two daughters, and four grandchildren.

Donald B. Allen ’38, of Southampton, N.Y.; Aug. 16. He was a prominent admiralty lawyer and former partner at Hill, Betts & Nash. He was an officer in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He is survived by two sons, including Peter Allen ’70, and a sister.

William P. Ash ’38, of Parkersburg, W.Va.; Sept. 27. He was a retired senior vice president of Union Trust National Bank of Parkersburg. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was a very active member of Good Shepherd Episcopal Church for more than fifty years, serving as trustee, choir member, and vestryman. He belonged to the Mount Olivet Masonic Lodge No. 3, AF & AM, for many years, was past president of the Parkersburg Lions Club, and was a member of the Parkersburg Area Chamber of Commerce and the Parkersburg Area Community Foundation. He is survived by two sons and three grandchildren.

Alfred G. Jarvis ’38, of Wallingford, Conn.; Oct. 5. He was an auditor at the Society for Savings Bank in Hartford for thirty-two years, retiring in 1979. He was a member of St. John’s Episcopal Church and Wyllys–St. John’s Lodge No. 4, AF & AM, both in West Hartford. He is survived by his wife, Beulah Jordan Jarvis.

Valerie L. Monnier ’38, of Brookline, Mass.; May 2.

Charles W. Gustavesen, Jr. ’39, of Warwick, R.I.; Sept. 29. He was an auditor for the Narragansett Electric Co. for forty-six years, retiring in 1986. He was a lieutenant and served as a communications officer on the USS Decatur during World War II. He enjoyed sailing and fishing. He is survived by his wife, Barbara; three sons, including Bradlee ’79; a daughter; five grandchildren; and a sister.

Dudley A. Zinke ’39, of Santa Barbara, Calif.; Feb. 28, of a heart attack. He was a lawyer at Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro until his retirement in 1984. He was cited by the U.S. Supreme Court for his excellence in practicing law. He served as a navigator in the Air Transport Command in the South Pacific during World War II. He was a well-read man who pursued his intellectual interests until Parkinson’s disease prevented him from doing so. He enjoyed the outdoors and was an avid tennis player, skier, mountaineer, and environmentalist. His major accomplishments include climbing to the base camp of Mount Everest, the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, and the summit of mountains in the South American Andes. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by a son, John Zinke, and a brother, John A. Zinke ’44.


Stanley L. Cummings ’40, of Greenfield, Mass.; Aug. 6, after a long illness. He had a law practice in Greenfield and served as assistant district attorney for several years. He served in the U.S. Army’s 10th Mountain Division, which fought in Italy during World War II. He was active in many philanthropic organizations and served on the school committee and on the board of selectmen. He received the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Community Service Award and the Kiwanis International Foundation Tablet of Honor. An Eagle Scout, he had a lifelong interest in Scouting and was awarded the Silver Beaver for his efforts. He and his wife traveled on every continent except for Australia, riding elephants in Thailand and camels in Algeria and playing with penguins in Antarctica. At Brown, he wrote a weekly column for the Brown Daily Herald and was a regular contributor to the magazine Sir Brown. He is survived by his wife, Jean Bruce Cummings ’40, 104 Country Side Rd., Greenfield 01301; three children, including Stan Jr. ’67 and Cappy Nunlist ’70; and seven grandchildren.

Clark L. Newton ’40, of Vero Beach, Fla.; Sept. 25. He retired from the FBI after serving for twenty-two years in New York, Puerto Rico, Florida, and Virginia. He was a former executive director for the United Way in Harrisonburg, Va., and a past president of the Spotswood Country Club, also in Harrisonburg. He served four years in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a captain navigator aboard a B-17 during World War II and completed twenty-five combat missions over Germany. He received the Distinguished Flying Cross, Army Air Medal, and other overseas and campaign ribbons. He is survived by his wife, Anne, three sons, a daughter, and six grandchildren.

Alfred P. Shatkin ’40, of Great Neck, N.Y.; Aug. 31. He is survived by his wife, Toby, a son, a daughter, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Mary Alderman Cosse ’41, of McConnelsville, Ohio; April 6.

Edmund F. Armstrong ’42, of East Greenwich, R.I.; Aug. 13, of pneumonia and heart failure. He taught high school math for eighteen years at the Wheeler School in Providence. He also taught for two years at Hebrew Day School and for nineteen years at the Moses Brown School, where he also was athletic director and coached baseball and hockey. He served as a lieutenant junior grade in the Coast Guard during World War II. He was an active member and past president of Westminster Unitarian Church in East Greenwich. He was an avid Red Sox fan. He is survived by his wife, Frances; three sons, including Ted ’65; six grandchildren; ten great-grandchildren; and a sister.

Charles Collis ’42, of Bay Shore, N.Y.; Aug. 13, after an extended struggle with cancer. He was a Fairchild Industries executive, retiring in 1981 after thirty-six years with the company. As president of the Republic Aviation Division, he was responsible for the development of the A-10 Warthog aircraft, which is still in service. He served in the U.S. Navy for three years. He enjoyed golf and boating and was a member of Southward Ho Country Club and the Babylon Yacht Club. He is survived by his wife, Margaret, two daughters, and five grandchildren.

Caroline Holmes Manter Gerow ’42, of Middlebury, Vt.; Oct. 16, of lung cancer. She was a lab technician at Porter Hospital in Middlebury. She also volunteered with the Red Cross and at Equal Opportunities Services. She was a member of the Congregational Church of Middlebury. She enjoyed bowling, archery, and fishing. She is survived by three daughters, including Judy, P.O. Box 137, Poultney, Vt. 05764; a son; three grandsons; a great-granddaughter; a sister, Ruth Manter Lind ’39; and a brother, Frank Manter ’41.

Rev. John R. Whitney ’42, of Wellsboro, Pa.; March 2. He served as an Episcopal chaplain and professor of religious studies at Pennsylvania State Univ. and rector of Christ Episcopal Church in Williamsport, Pa. He headed the development of a high school course for the Pennsylvania Department of Education. He served as a captain in the Combat Intelligence Unit during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Miriam, a son, a granddaughter, a great-granddaughter, and three sisters.

Spencer H. Baker ’44, of Duxbury, Mass.; Sept. 8. He was an engineer and composer. He worked three years at U.S. Steel and spent twenty-seven years at Norton Co., where he devised three major patterns in manufacturing and in the machinery of ceramics. After retiring, he studied piano composition and composed more than twenty piano pieces. He played cornet for fifty years in quartets, bands, and small orchestras, but the piano was his greatest love. He served in World War II and was injured in the Battle of the Bulge, for which he received a Purple Heart. He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, three daughters, a son, three stepdaughters, five grandchildren, six step-grandchildren, and five step-great-grandchildren.

John F. “Cliff” Wilson ’44, of New York City; Oct. 8, of lung cancer. He was in the insurance business and a member of the Million Dollar Round Table. He served as an officer in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Theater during World War II. In the 1960s he served as chair of the Brown Alumni Admission Committee in New York City. He is survived by a sister.

Carlos Gonzalez ’45, of Sierra Vista, Ariz.; April 11.

Maurice E. Carlson ’46, of Atlanta; April 13, of heart failure and pneumonia. He was an underwriter for Marsh & McLennan, retiring in 1989. He was a U.S. Navy lieutenant during World War II. He enjoyed collecting silver. He is survived by his wife, Mary Bayles Carlson ’45, 3750 Peachtree Rd., #417, Atlanta 30319.

Stanley Peterfreund ’46, of Oradell, N.J.; Sept. 7. His work over five decades as a management consultant had a significant impact on a generation of employees by focusing on the quality of work life. He is survived by his wife, Eve; two daughters; a son, Alan ’76; four grandchildren; and a sister.

Helen Chiarello Hogg ’47, of Fort Myers, Fla.; Sept. 11. She was an avid shell collector and gourmet cook. She is survived by her husband, Howard, and a son.

Rev. Alan P. Maynard ’47, of Providence; Sept. 7. He was the former associate rector of St. Stephen’s Church in Providence, retiring in 2004. He began his ministry as the curate at Trinity Episcopal Church in Newport, R.I., in 1955 and became rector of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Newport in 1957. He served at St. Alban’s Episcopal Church in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, from 1960 to 1962, then joined the administration of Brown, serving as bursar and later as director of financial aid, a position he held until retiring in 1987. He served as interim rector at parishes in Massachusetts and Rhode Island before becoming associate rector at St. Stephen’s in 1994. He was a member of the board of the Salvation Army and a member of the University Club and the Brown Faculty Club. He served on the board of the Rhode Island Philharmonic Orchestra from 1975 to 1993. He is survived by a sister.

Andrew A. Ouellette ’47, of Orlando, Fla.; Sept. 15. He was a professor of mathematics before he retired in 1986. He worked at the former Lowell Technological Institute, now part of Univ. of Massachusetts at Lowell. He served as head of the math department for several years during his teaching career there. In 1983 he received an honorary doctorate from the Univ. of Massachusetts at Lowell for excellence of teaching. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was a lifetime honorary member of the Knights of Columbus, Council 122, and was a past Grand Knight. He is survived by his wife, Marie, two daughters, a son, five grandchildren, and a great-granddaughter.

Donald A. Haas ’48, of Vero Beach, Fla.; Aug. 13. He was in real estate marketing and development in the Halifax, Fla., area for many years. He was a volunteer with SCORE and was a mediator with the Volusia County Mediation Society. A numismatist, he enjoyed collecting coins. He also collected clowns and enjoyed working on his computer. He is survived by his wife, Avery, son, a daughter, a stepdaughter, two grandchildren, and a brother, Stanley Haas ’45.

Rita Laudati ’48, of Trenton, N.J. ; Sept. 20, after a long illness. She spent twenty years in the New York City school system. She was also employed by the state of Rhode Island in the Record Division. She is survived by three brothers—Roger ’50, Richard ’60, and Robert ’63—and a sister, Ruth Laudati Robinson ’66.

Joseph P. Mazza ’48, of North Attleboro, Mass.; Aug. 24, after a brief illness. A chemical engineer for more than forty years, he was a pioneer in the field of polymer chemistry, working in Ireland as well as the United States. Among his employers were U.S. Rubber, Kaiser, and the former Carr Fulflex in Bristol, R.I. He passed on his love of the sciences to many students statewide as a mentor to those involved in science fairs. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II, retiring with the rank of major. He served in the European Theater and Iceland in the field of bomb disposal and demolition. After the war he continued to serve in the U.S. Army Reserves in Bristol. He was very involved in the Bristol Republican Town Committee and achieved the rank of national commander of the ITAM Vets (Italian American War Veterans). The recipient of numerous awards for his volunteer work for charitable organizations, he is survived by a son, a daughter, and a grandson.

Thomas W. Mooney II ’48, of Petaluma, Calif.; Aug. 26. He was director of planned giving at Univ. of the Pacific, retiring in 1989. He previously was a professional Scouter and served in that capacity for more than thirty years, finishing his Scouting career as the chief executive for the San Francisco Bay Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America. He piloted a B-24 bomber in Europe during World War II and received the Air Medal with four Oak Leaf Clusters and the EAME ribbon with three Battle Stars. He volunteered and sang at the Petaluma Senior Center and was the capital campaign manager for the Shirley P. Mooney Education Building at Holy Family Episcopal Church in Rohnert Park, Calif. He is survived by a daughter, a son, five grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

Robert G. Petersdorf ’48, of Seattle; Sept. 29, of complications of strokes. He chaired the Univ. of Washington School of Medicine for fifteen years and was president of the Association of American Medical Colleges for eight years. He also was a former president of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. He advised federal agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration and was the editor of the seminal textbook Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine for twenty-two years. He is survived by his wife, Patricia; two sons, including Stephen ’80, ’83 MD; seven grandchildren; and a brother.

Thomas P. Hurley ’49, of Pownal, Vt.; Aug. 19, after a long battle with cancer. He worked as a chemical engineer at Sprague Electric Co. in North Adams, Mass., from 1948 until his retirement in 1987, with three U.S. patents in his name. He was a radar specialist in the U.S. Navy during World War II. In retirement he traveled the world with his wife. Among other achievements, he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro at the age of 70 and bungee-jumped into a gorge in New Zealand at the age of 75. He volunteered for the Red Cross during many crises, including the Northridge earthquake in California and hurricanes and floods in Puerto Rico and Kansas City. An avid golfer, he was a member of the Taconic Golf Club in Williamstown, Mass., for forty-seven years. He is survived by his wife, Marjorie, two sons, a daughter, and two granddaughters.


Richard R. Gills ’50, of Melbourne, Fla.; Sept. 1. He worked in the insurance industry, most recently for the state of Connecticut. He previously was the owner of the Gills Employment Service in Hartford, Conn. He served in the U.S. Army’s 42nd Rainbow Division, 222nd Infantry Regiment, during World War II and was involved in the securing of Adolf Hitler’s official train in Germany at the end of the war. He enjoyed traveling, collecting stamps and coins, and volunteering for charity groups. He was active in the Suntree United Methodist Church in Melbourne. He is survived by a son, two grandchildren, and a brother.

Abel N. Gonsalves ’50, of East Lyme, Conn.; Sept. 29, from effects of Alzheimer’s disease. He taught math at Roosevelt Junior High School in New Bedford from 1954 to 1957 and at New London High School from 1957 to 1981. He believed teaching to be his greatest achievement. A member of the Niantic Baptist Church, he also shared in his wife’s faith at St. Matthias Catholic Church. He began boxing at the age of 14. During his boxing career he won the Rhode Island Diamond Belt championship, later becoming Rhode Island state champion, Rhode Island Golden Glove champion, and New England All-American champion. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army’s 90th Infantry Division and the 453rd Transportation Corps Amphibious Truck Company, participating in the battles of Normandy, Northern France, the Rhineland, the Ardennes, and Central Europe. He was awarded the EAME ribbon with bronze service arrowhead and the Croix de Guerre from the Republic of France. He is survived by his wife, Maria.

David E. Flavin ’50, of New Canaan, Conn.; July 26, after a long illness. He worked for Merrill Lynch at the time of his retirement. However, most of his career was spent as a stockbroker for Kidder, Peabody & Co. in New York City. He is survived by two daughters, a son, and a brother.

Thomas H. George ’50, of Warwick, R.I.; Sept. 16. He was a pediatrician, retiring in 1993. He was on the staff of Rhode Island Hospital, Women & Infants Hospital, and Kent Hospital, where he served a term as chief of pediatrics. He was a member of the Rhode Island Medical Society, the Kent County Medical Society, and the Warwick Country Club. He served in the U.S. Navy in the European Theater during World War II. He was a communicant of St. Kevin’s Parish in Warwick. He is survived by his wife, Etheldreda, a son, two grandchildren, and a brother.

Forrest W. Christensen ’51, of Portsmouth, R.I.; Aug. 1. He was an engineer for the Naval Underwater Systems Center (NUSC), working on the combat systems analysis staff for thirty years, until 1982. Afterward he continued his work as an engineer for Control Systems Analysis (CSA), retiring in 1994. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and was an avid golfer, painter, gardener, and personal investor. He is survived by a son, two daughters, three grandchildren, and a sister.

Anthony Costa ’51, of Ormond Beach, Fla.; Aug. 28. He was a technical editor. He served in the U.S. Army and enjoyed playing bridge. He is survived by his wife, Janet, three sons, daughter Amy Costa Migdal ’87, eight grandchildren, two brothers, and a sister.

Janet Blake Eschenbacher ’51, of Rumford, R.I.; Aug. 21 She was an administrative assistant for the United Way for eighteen years, retiring in 1995. She is survived by her husband, Herman F. Eschenbacher ’52 AM, and a sister.

G. William Filley ’51, of San Francisco; Sept. 16, of cancer. He was a lawyer specializing in family law and probate litigation for forty-four years, retiring in 2004. He also was a pro temp judge. He served in the U.S. Army for two years during the Korean War. He enjoyed skiing, reading, and traveling. He is survived by his wife, Carole; a daughter; two sons, including Scott, 5455 Anza St., San Francisco 94121; and three grandchildren.

Barbara Sullivan McGuinness ’51, of Warwick, R.I., and Deerfield Beach, Fla.; Oct. 10. She was a member of the Dunes Club and the Deer Creek Country Club and a former member of the Governor Francis Women’s Club and Warwick Country Club. She is survived by her husband, Howard, two daughters, a brother, and five grandchildren.

Allan E. Smith ’51, of Santa Barbara, Calif.; Sept. 13. He was a member of the Order of the Holy Cross, a monastic community for men in the Episcopal Church. He was ordained as a deacon and priest in 1954 and served at St. Stephen’s Church in Coconut Grove, Fla., before entering the order in 1956. After making his life profession of vows as a monk in 1961, he served for thirteen years in Liberia, West Africa, where he was famous for his many long ministry journeys into the bush country. He also served at monasteries in New York and South Carolina before moving to Santa Barbara in 1984, where he was a friend and spiritual companion to countless people. He was passionately committed to Kairos Prison Ministry International and is survived by his monastic family and two nephews.

Richard Van W. Vaughn ’52, of Naples, Fla.; Sept. 11. He retired as president of L. Vaughn Co., a family architectural woodworking business. He was a member and past president of Jaycees International and a recipient of the Senator Award. He was also a member and Paul Harris Fellow of Rotary International and a member of the American Legion and V.F.W. In retirement he continued as a consultant and volunteer with International Executive Service Corp. (IESC) and Citizens Development Corp. (CDC), working on more than a hundred projects worldwide. Richard was a member of church and civic choirs all his life. He is survived by his wife, Ann, five daughters, two sons, a stepson, fourteen grandchildren, and a sister.

Paul Drummond ’52, of Providence; Sept. 30, of pneumonia. He was a retired director of international affairs for American Society of Mechanical Engineers. He served as an information specialist during WWII. He enjoyed reading and vintage films. Per his request, his body was donated via the Anatomical Gift Program to Brown’s Medical School. He is survived by his wife, Genevieve.

Paul B. Alexander ’52, of San Diego; Sept. 20. He was a geologist in Colorado and California. He previously taught geography at the Univ. of Montana. He was a member of the Lions Club of San Diego and spent many hours playing golf. After he graduated from Brown, he spent two years hitchhiking around the world, finding temporary employment in several countries so that he returned with more money than he had when he left. He is survived by his wife, Molly, three daughters, including Sarah ’92 AM, and grandsons.

Herbert J. Hollberg ’52, of Irvington, Va.; Sept. 17. He had a long engineering career at DuPont, where he was known for his patents and contributions to the development of Tyvek, a polyethylene-fiber material. His sons wrapped their tree house with it in 1968. Since then the procedure and product became commonplace in the construction industry. He was a member of the Fishing Bay and Rappahannock River Yacht Clubs. He was a longtime member of the U.S. Power Squadron. He is survived by his wife, Jan, three sons, and seven grandchildren.

Robert C. Carson ’53, of Durham, N.C.; Sept. 23. He served as head of Duke Univ. Medical Center’s Division of Medical Psychology and in the Department of Psychology as director of its doctoral program in clinical psychology and as chair. He taught psychology to undergraduates virtually uninterrupted since his senior year at Brown, and in 1993–94 was named a Distinguished Teacher in Duke’s Trinity College. He was appointed a G. Stanley Hall Lecturer by the American Psychological Association for 1989. He was a Fellow Member of the American Psychological Association and a Charter Fellow of the American Psychological Society. He served both as an officer and on committees in those organizations. He was also a member of the Southeastern Psychological Association, the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, and the Society for the Exploration of Psychological Integration. He was the author and coauthor of numerous psychological publications throughout his career, including undergraduate textbooks. He previously served on the medical psychology faculty at the Univ. of Chicago from 1957 to 1960. He served in the U.S. Navy. He also enjoyed playing golf and fishing. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by two daughters, a son, and three grandchildren.

Joseph Christopher ’53, of Dudley, Mass.; Sept. 2, after an extended illness. He was principal of Dudley Junior High School, later Dudley Intermediate School, retiring in 1988. He started his career as a history teacher. He was an avid golfer, fisherman, and Red Sox fan. He served in the U.S. Army from 1953 to 1955. He was also a thirty-eight-year member of the Webster (Mass.) Lodge of Elks No. 1466. He is survived by his wife, Janet; his mother-in-law, Lillian Kasierski; a son; and three grandchildren.

Carol Ann O’Brien Conwell ’54, of Orlando, Fla.; Sept. 16, of pancreatic cancer. She was the proprietress of Chatham’s Place restaurant in Orlando for ten years. She was a member of the Orlando Garden Club and the Orlando Historic Preservation Board. She enjoyed travel, literature, and culinary arts. Phi Beta Kappa. She is survived by a daughter, a son, and five grandchildren.

Robert M. Watters ’54, of Cleveland; July 25, after suffering a paralyzing stroke. He was a retired communications manager for Reliance Electric in Cleveland. He previously worked with Burroughs Corp. in Denver and Fukuoka, Japan, and Control Data Corp. in Minneapolis and South Africa. He served in the U.S. Naval Reserve. He is survived by his wife, Denys, a sister, and a brother.

Craig P. Perkins ’55, of Tucson, Ariz.; July 10. A retired self-employed copywriter, he previously worked at New York advertising agencies including Ogilvy & Mather. He did volunteer work as a Reading Seed mentor for many years. He is survived by his wife, Rita Smalling, three children, three grandchildren, and a brother.

Philip E. Bonz ’55, of Palm Coast, Fla., and Strafford, Vt.; Sept. 30, after a brief battle with lung cancer. He managed a small private law practice in Simsbury, Conn. He previously practiced law with Robert J. O’Donnell in Woodstock, Vt., and was an environmental consultant in the Washington, D.C., area for seven years. For six years he served on the Strafford school board and was school board chairman for three years. He served with distinction for twelve years in the U.S. Navy, most of those years on nuclear submarines. He received a citation from Vice Admiral V. L. Lowrance for meritorious achievement in the performance of his duties while serving as engineer officer on the USS Triton (SSN 586) during 1965–66. He is survived by his wife, Margaret, two sons, two grandchildren, and a brother.

Edwin A. Cowen Jr. ’57, of Greenwich, Conn.; Sept. 10. He worked in advertising sales for more than twenty years. He previously worked on Wall Street. He is survived by his wife, Connie Reimers Cowen ’59, a son, a daughter, five grandchildren, and a brother.

Dikran Vahan Simidian ’58, of Naples, Fla.; Sept. 1, of pancreatic cancer. He is survived by four daughters, a granddaughter, and a brother.


Diana Coe Berry Rudloe ’60, of Bowdoinham, Maine; Sept. 29, from autoimmune liver disease. She was the lead coordinator of English as second language (ESL) testing and assessment in the district. She touched the lives of hundreds of immigrant and refugee students in the Portland Public Schools’ multilingual and multicultural center for a quarter of a century. Beginning in 1981 she set up the structure of the (ESL) program at both the elementary and middle school levels and helped to develop ESL curriculum and materials. She previously lived and worked in Italy for two years, where she received a language scholarship from the Italian government and began her teaching career. She is survived by a daughter, a son, and two brothers.

Peter O. Schultz ’61, of Dartmouth, Mass.; Aug. 30, after a long, courageous battle with multiple myeloma. He was the retired owner and operator of the former Case Jewelers in New Bedford and Osterville, Mass. A longtime member of the Country Club of New Bedford, he was an avid golfer and a member of the Dartmouth Recreation Commission since 1993. He is survived by his wife, Gale, a daughter, two sons, and six grandchildren.

Steve Rosenthal ’64, of Reston, Va.; Sept. 14. He was a psychiatrist in private practice in Reston, where he saw patients for more than twenty-five years. He previously was a psychiatrist at Chestnut Lodge Hospital for more than a decade. He is survived by his wife, Ellen Campbell, a son, a stepson, and two grandchildren.

Joshua P. Smith ’64, of Washington, D.C.; July 25, 2005. He was a nationally and internationally known independent curator and collector of photographs and prints. After a brief career in private practice in New York, he became a lawyer for the Department of Energy in Washington, where he began collecting and became a respected guest curator of exhibits at several galleries and museums. In the winter of 1989 and spring of 1990 the National Gallery hosted a one-collector show, “The 1980s: Prints from the Collection of Joshua P. Smith.” He donated a number of his works to the National Gallery and other institutions. Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by his former wife, Deborah, a son, a daughter, and his brother, Carl Smith ’68.

Jerome M. Auerbach ’66, of Livermore, Calif.; Sept. 4. He was a laser physicist and a retired captain in the U.S. Naval Reserve. He is survived by twin sons and sister Paula Auerbach ’73.

Gail Greenberg Shapiro ’68, of Seattle; Aug. 25, during cardiac surgery. She was the senior doctor at Northwest Asthma and Allergy Center and a clinical professor at the Univ. of Washington. She was president of the American Academy of Asthma, Allergy, and Immunology in 2001–02. She was due to receive the Bret Ratner award this fall from the American Academy of Pediatrics as the outstanding researcher in pediatric allergy. She was a golfer, skier, and fly fisherwoman. She is survived by her husband, Peter ’66; four children, including Jessica Shapiro Mirsky ’95; and a granddaughter.

James R. Tobey ’69, of Lexington, Mass.; Sept. 30, 2001, following an extended battle with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). He was vice president of E-Commerce until September 2000. He previously was the chief financial officer at PKC Corp. in Burlington, Vt. In 1985 he became the founder and president of JUBA Design, a business focused on the design and construction management of large residential projects all over the Northeast. He was a highly skilled sportsman. He shared his passion for fishing and the outdoors with his family and friends. He is survived by his wife, Susan, a son, a daughter, a brother, and three sisters.


Steven P. Medley ’71, of Oakhurst, Calif.; Oct. 5., from a single-vehicle automobile accident while traveling to work. He had been president of the Yosemite Association since 1985 and worked in Yosemite National Park for a total of thirty-five years. He previously worked for the National Park Service as a park naturalist, research librarian, and museum curator. He edited and produced more than fifty publications. Many of his books have been recognized with awards, and his Complete Guidebook to Yosemite has sold almost 100,000 copies to date. Previously he worked as a lawyer in private practice. He is survived by his wife, Jane, and three sons.

James Moser ’73, of New York City; May 31, after a brief illness. He was an editor at Doubleday and senior editor at Grove Press, where he had the opportunity to edit the work of such authors as Stephen King, Howard Hawks, and Alex Haley. A great contributor to his community, he volunteered at soup kitchens and enjoyed tutoring children. He is survived by his mother, Gladys Moser.

Lynn ”Tiger” Kroeger Daly ’76, of Weston, Mass.; Oct. 12. As a certified public accountant, she held prominent positions with Arthur Anderson and, later, J.P. Morgan. She was a member of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Weston and was active in the community, volunteering with the Hestia Fund and the Middlesex School, which her children attended. She was the treasurer for the Concord Museum for seven years and was also active with the Weston Garden Club. She was an avid hiker and golfer and an occasional sailor. She is survived by her husband, Robert ’73, a son, a daughter, and two brothers.

Claudia Flynn ’76, of Bethesda, Md.; Oct. 14, after a long struggle with colon cancer. She was head of the Department of Justice’s legal ethics office.

William C. “Billy” Baker, Jr. ’78, of Sacramento, Calif.; Aug. 20, from drowning. He was a urologist at Kaiser Permanente Medical Group in Stockton, Calif. He previously was chief of the urology department of the Veterans Administration Health Care System from 1998 to 2005 and was an urologist in private practice in Santa Cruz, Calif. He was a member of the National Medical Association and chair of its urology section and belonged to community organizations including 100 Black Men, and the Capitol Medical Society. He served as chair of the prostate committee for the American Cancer Society. He was the founder of the African American Prostate Cancer Initiative. He enjoyed playing basketball and golf and was a Civil War enthusiast. At Brown he was an outstanding basketball player and team captain in 1978. He is survived by his mother, Mae Helen Wilson, 1138 Thayer Lane, Anderson, Ind. 46011; his father, Dr. William Baker, Sr.; a son; a daughter; and four brothers.


G. Eric Muratalla ’93, of New York City; Sept. 24. He was a Broadway company manager of Tony Award–winning shows. He died while in Chicago mounting the Broadway musical The Pirate Queen. He was a member of St. Mary’s Parish. He worked on plays including The Diary of Anne Frank, Closer, and the three-time Tony Award winner Master Class with Zoe Caldwell and Patti LuPone. Between 1997 and 2006 he managed a string of Tony Award–winning Broadway shows: A Doll’s House, Art, Company, The Rocky Horror Show, Leader of the Pack, Copenhagen, Tale of the Allergist’s Wife, The Full Monty, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, A Raisin in the Sun, Jackie Mason—Freshly Squeezed, Movin’ Out, and Doctor Dolittle with Tommy Tune. He is survived by his parents, George and Gilda Muratalla; his grandmother Elisa Cope; and two sisters.


Arin J. Adams ’07, of Detroit; Oct. 16. She was taking courses at the Univ. of Michigan and Wayne State Univ. while on leave from Brown. She was a history concentrator who planned to pursue a PhD in American history. At Brown she was a Writing Fellow, a Meiklejohn adviser, a member of the University Disciplinary Council, and a minority peer counselor. She is survived by her parents, Anthony and Deborah Adams.


C. Wallace McNutt ’41 PhD, of Houston; Sept. 26. He taught anatomy and genetics at the Univ. of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. He was one of the original faculty members at the Univ. of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. He loved to teach. He tried to retire three times but always returned to teach a seminar. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II and in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, retiring with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He enjoyed gardening. He is survived by four daughters and a granddaughter.

Leon Livingstone ’47 PhD, of London; Sept. 29, of pneumonia. Professor emeritus at the State Univ. of New York–Buffalo, he retired in 1979 after teaching Spanish there for twenty-seven years. He previously taught at UCLA, Wayne State Univ., and Brown. He was a member of the Modern Language Association. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II as a special agent in counterintelligence. He is survived by his wife, Alicia, a son, and two daughters, including Andrea, 122 Fawnbrake Ave., London SE24 0BZ, England.

Barbara Eddy Duggan ’66 MAT, of Wakefield, R.I.; Oct. 9. She taught at Narragansett High School for twenty-six years, retiring in 1997. She previously taught at Pilgrim High School. She was an avid reader and enjoyed knitting. She is survived by her husband, Thomas, two sons, two grandchildren, and a brother.

Comdr. John “Jack” Berchman Jr. ’66 AM, Sept. 1. He taught European and American history at Dean College in Franklin, Mass., for twenty years after retiring from the U.S. Navy, in which he served for twenty-four years. The ships on which he was an officer were the USS Ticonderoga, the USS Midway, the USS McCaffery, the USS William M. Wood, the USS Tweedy, and the USS Gaffey. He was also proud of his executive staff position of Fet-Air-Med in Naples, Italy, during the 1950s. His military career nourished his interests in traveling and learning about new places. He enjoyed taking cruises all over the world. He is survived by his son Robert ’84 PhD and a granddaughter.

Irene McKenzie Lathrop ’76 AM, of Providence; Oct. 2. She was the director of library services for Lifespan and Women & Infants Hospital, retiring in 2002. She published articles in several library and academic journals and was active in many professional organizations, including serving as president of the Rhode Island chapter of the Special Libraries Association. She was elected to the library honor society Beta Phi Mu, was a certified medical librarian within the Medical Library Association, and was a distinguished member of the Academy of Health Information Professionals. She is survived by her husband, John, four daughters, and six grandchildren.

Barbara Gerry Duley ’77 AM, of Barrington, R.I.; Sept. 11. She was an adjunct professor at Barrington College and Univ. of Rhode Island; freelance talent for radio and TV commercials; and a speech communications consultant. She previously taught at Barrington High School from 1964 to 1985, and coached thirteen state champion debate teams, two New England champion teams, and three National Collegiate Extemporaneous Speakers/Brown University Speech Team (1983-1986). She directed more than forty theater productions. She was past president of the Business and Professional Women’s Club of Wakefield, Mass., and the League of Women Voters in Barrington. She was a member of the National Education Association of Rhode Island, the New England Theatre Conference, and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. She is survived by two daughters, three grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.

Beeke Marie Sell Tower ’78 PhD, of Melrose, Mass.; Sept. 14, five years after she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. She was program coordinator for art, literature, and politics at Goethe Institute, Boston, where her work focused on international cultural exchange. She previously was a professor at MIT, Connecticut College, Brown, and the Univ. of California at Davis. She served as a curator at the Busch-Reisinger Museum at Harvard, the Boston Public Library, and elsewhere. She was an avid gardener. She is survived by her husband, David; two sons; her daughter, Johanna ’06; two sisters; and two brothers.

What do you think?
See what other readers are saying about this article and add your voice. 
Related Issue
January / February 2007