July 24th, 2007


Elizabeth Morse Taggart ’26, of Athens, Ohio; Apr. 2. She taught at Hollands College, in Va., and St. Johns School of Nursing, in Cleveland, after receiving a master’s in anatomy. She is survived by three sons, including Frederic ’61.

Arline Dyer Beehr ’28, of North Kingstown, R.I.; Mar. 30, of congestive heart failure. She was a retired employee of the Registry of Motor Vehicles of Providence. She was a member of the Meshanticut Park Baptist Church in Cranston, R.I., and the North Kingstown Women’s Club.

She enjoyed her family, reading, crossword puzzles, and playing bridge. She is survived by two sons, including Gardner ’63, four grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.


John H. Bauer ’30, of Gaithersburg, Md.; Mar. 17, 2006. He was a chief engineer at Robert & Co. Assoc. in Atlanta, retiring in 1978.

Dolores Enos Goodwin ’31, of Pawtucket, R.I.; Apr. 2. She was a retired teacher in the East Providence and Cranston school systems.

Evadne Maynard Lovett ’32, of Haverhill, Mass.; Feb. 20. She was an elementary school teacher in Conn. for twenty-five years, retiring in 1975. She was a member of the First Congregational Church in Oxford, the League of Women Voters, the Daughters of the American Revolution Haverhill Chapter, the Connecticut Board of Education, the National Education Association, and the John Greenleaf Whittier Society in Haverhill. She is survived by five daughters, fourteen grandchildren, and fourteen great-grandchildren.

Albert H. Gardner ’33, of Cranston, R.I.; Oct. 3, 2006.

Albert Lewitt ’33, of Sarasota, Fla. and Nashua, N.H.; Feb. 19. He was a retired general manager for Old Colony Furniture Co. in Nashua. He was active in the Nashua Community Chest and the Nashua Community Concert Association. He served on the board of St. Joseph’s Hospital School of Nursing and Mt. St. Mary Seminary. He was an accomplished golfer and curler at the Nashua Country Club. He is survived by a son, Philip ’63; a daughter; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Owen F. Walker ’33, of Cleveland Heights, Ohio; Feb. 21. He was a retired partner of Thompson, Hine and Flory, LLP, in Cleveland.

Rebecca Gass Budnitz ’34, of Marblehead, Mass.; Mar. 12. She was a homemaker and volunteer with many organizations including the Council of Jewish Women, Temple Emanu-El, the Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Worcester Medical Society, the Music Guild of Worcester Inc. and Opera Worcester. She is survived by a son; three daughters, including Sandra Mosk ’62 and Susan Sokoloff ’62; eleven grandchildren; and sixteen great-grandchildren.

Lillian Salmin Janas ’34, of Central Falls, R.I.; Mar. 26. She was a self-employed commercial property manager. She was a member of the Pawtucket Women’s Club, the Pawtucket Central Falls YWCA, and the Handicraft Club of Providence. She is survived by a daughter, two sons, seven grandchildren, and eleven great-grandchildren.

Eleanor M. Casey ’36, of Silver Spring, Md.; Oct. 26, 2006. She is survived by her sister, Doris Poole; and nine great-nieces and nephews.

Regina A. Driscoll ’36, of West Hartford, Conn.; Mar. 6. She was director of nursing at the Institute of Living in Hartford for twenty-six years, retiring in 1964. In her retirement she obtained a master of social work and worked with Child and Family Services of Connecticut. She is survived by cousins and friends.

Beatrice S. Demers ’37, of Warwick, R.I.; Mar. 5. She was professor emerita of languages at the Univ. of Rhode Island, retiring in 1977. Before joining the URI faculty, she taught in the Pawtucket school system.

Christine Gainer ’37, of Charlestown, Mass.; Jan. 23. She is survived by her sister and several nieces and nephews.

Thelma Saglio Hinchliffe ’37, of Warwick, R.I.; Mar. 25. She was an antiques appraiser and rug-hooking teacher. She was a member of the Warwick Community Guidance Clinic and Trinity Episcopal Church. She served as past president of the Kent County Alumnae Club and the Hope Chapter of the R.I. Embroiderers’ Guild. She is survived by a son, two daughters, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Forrest A. Pease ’37, of Jamestown, R.I.; Jan. 7. He was a retired U.S. Naval captain. During his thirty-plus years in the navy, he welcomed astronaut Alan B. Shepard back to earth aboard the U.S.S. Lake Champlain. He held the titles of commanding officer of the South Weymouth Naval Air Station, chief of staff for Commander Fleet Air Quonset, chief of staff for Commander Naval Forces Japan, and chief of staff for Commander Eastern Sea Frontier in New York. An avid sailor, he enjoyed racing and cruising the New England coast and was a member of the New York Yacht Club. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; a son; two daughters; three grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Margaret Hayden Shields ’37, of Osterville, Mass.; Mar. 4. She was a retired elementary-school French teacher. During a long teaching career, she taught some of her own grandchildren. She was an active parish-ioner of Our Lady of the Assumption Church, and a member of the Osterville Historical Society and the Osterville Village Association. She is survived by three daughters, twelve grandchildren, and twenty great-grandchildren.

Martin L. Tarpy ’37, of Pawtucket, R.I.; Feb. 26. He was president and treasurer of Tarpy Beef Co. in R.I. During World War II he served in the Pacific as a commander in the U.S. Navy. He was past president of the Pawtucket Rotary, the Pawtucket Boys and Girls Club, and Memorial Hospital of R.I. In 2004 he received the Man of the Year Award from the Pawtucket Foundation. He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus, the To Kalon Club of Pawtucket, and the Wannamoisett Country Club in Rumford, R.I. He is survived by a son, a daughter, three grandsons, and one great-granddaughter.

Rita L. Couture ’38, of Providence; Mar. 9. She was a French professor at Rhode Island College for thirty years, retiring in 1988. She also taught mathematics in Okinawa at the U.S. Armed Forces Institute. She was a member of the Franco-American Club and a communicant of Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Central Falls. She is survived by three sisters.

Philip F. Myers ’38, of Fort Collins, Colo.; Mar. 5. He retired in 1985 as director of development for the American Federation for Aging Research in Columbus, Ohio. He served in the U.S. Navy as an intelligence officer specializing in Japanese language translation and interpretation, and went on to serve as public relations director for the Connecticut Junior Republic and as a member of the fundraising firm Tamblyn and Brown (N.Y.). He was development director or vice president for development at several liberal arts colleges and universities, including Wittenberg Univ. in Springfield, Ohio. He served as lieutenant governor of the Conn. Kiwanis Club and received awards for his volunteer efforts on behalf of the Columbus, Ohio, Chamber of Commerce. In retirement he enjoyed assisting his wife teaching line dancing at senior centers. He is survived by his wife, Jean; a daughter; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Michael J. Zifcak ’38, of Camp Hill, Pa.; Feb. 19. A U.S. Army career officer, he retired in 1966. He served in the Korean and Vietnam wars, receiving the Korean Service Medal, the Bronze Star Medal, three awards of the Army Commendation Medal, the U.N. Service Medal, and the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation. He enjoyed retirement, playing tennis and gardening. He is survived by his wife, Mary; two sons, including Michael ’65; two grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Henry G. Butler Jr. ’39, of North Kingstown, R.I.; Apr. 22. He had been a traffic manager and plant manager of the Pawtuxet Valley Dye Plant in West Warwick, R.I. He later became manager and vice president of the board of the Quidnessett Memorial Cemetery in North Kingstown. He was a member of the North Kingstown School Committee, which he chaired from 1968 to 1972, and was chairman of the Davisville Middle School Building Committee. He also served as president of the Quidnessett Fire Co. and belonged to Caleb Butler Lodge and the East Greenwich United Methodist Church. He was an avid gardener. He is survived by three daughters, seven grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

Lyman G. Friedman ’39, formerly of Bethesda, Md.; Dec. 12, 2006. He was a retired tax lawyer. He is survived by a daughter and son, James ’72.

Frederick H. Richardson ’39, of Barrington, R.I.; Apr. 5. He served as vice president, president, and chairman of the board of the Blount Seafood Corp. in Warren, R.I., until his death. He served in the U.S. Coast Guard. His passion for railroading led him to purchase and operate the Edaville Railroad in Carver, Mass. He wrote the book Along the Iron Trail and was instrumental in the founding of Steamtown USA National Park in Vt., which is dedicated to the preservation of historical railroading. He is survived by his wife, Phoebe; a son; a daughter; eight grandchildren; fourteen great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild.


Thomas F. Bradshaw ’40, of Royal Oak, Md.; Jan. 5. He founded and managed Point Peter Block Co. in Wilmington, N.C., until his retirement in 1995. He was active in many local civic organizations, including the Thalian Association, where he served as president and took the leading role in many plays. He is survived by a son, two daughters, and two grandsons.

Mary J. Elliot ’40, of Newburyport, Mass.; Mar. 5. She was an English teacher in the Lawrence, Mass., public school system, retiring in 1980. She enjoyed cooking, gardening, and swimming. She is survived by many cousins.

Samuel F. Fellows ’40, of La Crosse, Wis.; Feb. 20. He owned and operated Doerflingers Department Store in La Crosse. He was a member of the La Crosse Rotary Club and the La Crosse Historical Society, and was a board member of First Bank. He was an avid photographer and jazz enthusiast. He is survived by a son and three grandchildren.

Mary McCooey Erb ’41, of East Hills, N.Y.; Feb. 28. She taught high-school Latin and French. She volunteered at various local community organizations including the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the Girl Scouts of America, and St. Mary’s Church in Roslyn, N.Y. She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. As a former member of the Manhasset Bay Power Squadron, she enjoyed boating with her family. She is survived by four daughters, including Karen Lombardo ’79, and six grandchildren, including Andrew Lombardo ’02.

James M. Nestor ’41, of Twinsburg, Ohio; Mar. 20. He was the founder and president of James M. Nestor & Associates Inc. in Cleveland before retiring in 1990. He previously held the positions of vice president and general manager of Premier Industrial Corp., regional manager of Huck Manufacturing, and general sales manager with Bostitch Inc. For more than twenty-five years he was a lay minister at St. Louis Church in Cleveland and St. Basil the Great Church in nearby Brecksville. He enjoyed traveling, playing bridge, and golfing. He is survived by his wife, Eileen; three daughters; three sons; and seven grandchildren.

Helen Fagan Phelan ’41, of Waterbury, Conn.; Jan. 31. She taught for thirty-one years in the Watertown school system. She is survived by six sons, four daughters, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Thomas G. Ahern ’42, of Watch Hill, R.I.; Feb. 25. He was a partner with the New York City public-relations firm Wallach Associates, and before that was CEO of Ahern Textile Print of R.I. During World War II, he served as an agent in the Special Intelligence Bureau of the OSS. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for valor in battle for his commission during the Battle of the Bulge. Active in his community, he served as board member and president of the Friends of the Library, helped fundraise for the Westerly YMCA and Westerly Hospital, was past president of the Misquamicut Club, and was a member of the Watch Hill Yacht Club and the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick. An avid reader and poetry lover, he co-hosted the public television program Talking About Books, bringing literature to a public forum. He was a communicant of the Church of St. Clare in Misquamicut, serving as lector and usher. He is survived by his wife, Joyce; three daughters; two sons, including F. Gregory Ahern ’74; and seven grandchildren.

Calvin Fisher ’42, of Apopka, Fla.; Apr.8, of complications due to Alzheimer’s and cancer. He retired in 1984 as New England Regional Sales Manager from the Penton Publishing Co. He served in the U.S. Navy as a flying cadet, and was discharged with the rank of lieutenant in 1946. He was an avid golfer and a member of the Farmington Country Club, the Hyannisport (Mass.) Golf Club, and the Errol Country Club in Apopka. He volunteered with the Red Cross and worked as a greeter for Wal-Mart. He is survived by his wife, Carol; two sons; four granddaughters; three stepchildren; six step-grandchildren; and three step-great-grandchildren.

Bernard Krasner ’42, of Scottsdale, Ariz.; Aug. 10, 2006. He was a retired surgeon. He is survived by son Stephen ’76.

Thomas P. Cotter ’43, of Riverside, Calif.; Mar. 19, after a long illness. A radiologist, he co-founded the Riverside Radiology Medical Group and was on the medical staff of the Riverside Community Hospital until his retirement in 1991. He was a member of the American Medical Association, the California Medical Association, the Riverside County Medical Association, the American College of Radiology, the American Board of Radiology, the Radiologic Society of North America, the California Radiologic Society, and the Inland Radiologic Society. He enjoyed golf, photography, body surfing, bridge, and swimming. He is survived by his wife, Marie; two sons; a daughter; and two grandchildren.

Bruce M. Donaldson ’43, of Unionville, Pa.; Mar. 3. He worked as a marketing manager for the DuPont Co. for thirty-five years, retiring in 1978. He served on the board of trustees for Brown Univ., the Upland County Day School and the Pennsylvania Horse Breeders Association. He was an avid golfer whose memberships included the Wilmington Country Club, Pine Valley, Rolling Rock, Laurel Valley, and the Royal and Ancient Golf Club in St. Andrews, Scotland. In addition, he enjoyed fox hunting, baseball, photography, music, cars, and travel. He is survived by four daughters, two stepchildren, ten grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

Barbara Lingane Layton ’43, of Woodland Hills, Calif.; Mar. 27. She was a reading tutor, a volunteer to the visually handicapped, and a painter. She is survived by two daughters; son Peter Layton, 7131 Owensmouth Ave. #33A, Canoga Park, Calif. 91309; and two grandchildren.

Kingsley N. Meyer ’43, of Darien, Conn. Apr. 20. He was a retired president of the advertising firm Horton, Church, and Goff in Providence. He previously worked at the Davol Rubber Co. in Providence and was an assistant dean of admission at Brown Univ. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant commander. Named as the youngest Eagle Scout in Rhode Island, he later served as the director of the Narragansett Council of the Boy Scouts of America. In 1976 he was honored as R.I.’s Advertising Man of the Year. He was past chairman of the American Association of Advertising Agencies, NE Council; past president of the Board of Trustees of the Providence Country Day School; director of Associated Alumni of Brown; and past commodore of the Menauhant Yacht Club. He is survived by two daughters, a son, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Milford H. Hatch ’44, of Atlanta, Ga.; Mar. 24. He was a virologist. In 1950, he was an assistant professor of biology at Brown, where he conducted research for the Atomic Energy Commission. He later worked with the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta for twenty-eight years, serving as chief of the enteric virology department and working with doctors from several countries on poliomyelitis. After retiring from the CDC, he worked in South America for ten years writing procedural manuals for those countries. He was a member of the Society of Mayflower Descendants, the Oak Grove Methodist Church in Atlanta, the Society of American Bacteriologists, the Scientific Research Society of America, Sigma Xi, and Phi Beta Kappa. He is survived by his wife, Christine; a son and two grandsons.

Betty Wagner McMahon ’44, of Brunswick, Me.; Mar. 11. She audited classes at Bowdoin College and served as a reading tutor for adults through Literacy Volunteers of America. She was an avid reader, gardener, bird watcher, and art collector. She is survived by three daughters, including Ann McMahon ’81; son Alexander ’72; and five grandchildren.

Dr. Richard J. Broggi ’45, of Worcester, Mass.; Apr. 18, after a prolonged illness. He was an eye surgeon in Worcester. He served in numerous positions throughout his career, including president of the Massachusetts Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons, and president of the Central Massachusetts Hospital Planning Society. During World War II and the Korean War he served as a physician. He is survived by his wife, Mary Ann; eight children; twelve grandchildren; and one great-grandson.

Fred I. Brown Jr. ’45, of Cincinnati; March 18. He was a general manager with General Electric for thirty-seven years and in 1987 was elected to the GE Aircraft Hall of Fame. During World War II he served as a U.S. Marine fighter pilot. He is survived by his wife, Sally; four daughters, including Marion Hunter Brown Simpson ’82; and eight grandchildren.

William F. Case ’45, of Fullerton, Calif.; Jul. 23, 2006. He was a retired plant manager for Nabisco Inc. in Buena Park, California. He is survived by a son and two daughters.

Joan Hosch Reiland ’45, of Newport, R.I.; Feb. 13. A teacher in the Newport school department for twenty years, she retired in 1986. She was a member of the R.I. Retired Teachers Association, and Jesus Saviour Church in Newport, where she taught religious education. She is survived by a daughter, a granddaughter, and a grandson.

Claire Stone Auerbach ’46, of North Dartmouth, Mass.; Apr. 11. She worked as a special needs teacher in the New Bedford school system. She was a member of Tifereth Israel Congregation, a volunteer with the Jewish Federation of Greater New Bedford, and a founding member of the New Bedford Jewish Convalescent Home. She was an avid reader, bridge player, golfer, and hostess. She is survived by her husband, Harry; a daughter; and a son.

James W. Conrad ’46, of Reedley, Calif.; Feb. 27. He was a co-owner of the Norwalk Vault Co. in Woodlake, Calif., manufacturing concrete burial vaults; he also owned a citrus ranch. He served on the Tulare County board of Education for more than twenty years, helping with the development of the Clemmie Gill School of Science and Conservation, where he later worked. He enjoyed music and singing in church choirs. He was active in Episcopal churches in Visalia and Woodlake, and in the Good Shepherd Episcopal Church in Reedley. An avid fly fisherman, camper, packer, and guide, he was one of the founding supporters of the Episcopal summer camp, Camp San Joaquin. He is survived by three sons, nine grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

Sumner N. Levine ’46, of Setauket, N.Y.; Mar. 20. He was the founding chairman of the department of material science in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences at SUNY Stony Brook, retiring in 1990. He is survived by his wife, Carol; a daughter; and a grandson.

C. Vincent Treat ’46, of Yarmouth Port, Mass.; Apr. 15. He was a physician specializing in internal medicine and cardiology in Lexington, Mass., before retiring from private practice in 1978 to accept a position with the Prudential Life Insurance Co. He served as vice president and medical director of Prudential’s Boston office and the Ft. Washington, Pa., office before retiring to Yarmouth Port after forty-five years in medicine. He was a member of the American Medical Association, the American Society of Internal Medicine, the Massachusetts Society of Internal Medicine, the American Diabetes Association, and the Association of Life Insurance Medical Directors of America. He served in the U.S. Naval Medical Corps. He is survived by his wife, Jean; three sons; two daughters; and six grandchildren.

John H. Dawson ’47, of Mercer Island, Wash.; Feb. 7, of acute myelogenous leukemia. A surgeon who maintained a practice for six decades, he retired in 2006 at age 80. He was a clinical professor of surgery at the Univ. of Washington Medical School from 1985 to 2006, chief of surgery at Seattle Swedish Hospital from 1992 to 1996, and a trustee of the American Medical Association from 1983 to 1990. During the Korean conflict, he volunteered to serve as a battalion surgeon from 1951 to 1952 and was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation. In 1963 he became chief of surgery at a Presbyterian Mission Hospital in Korea where he developed a life-long interest in leprosy. He served on the American Leprosy Board for twenty-four years and was instrumental in developing a vaccine for leprosy through the Infectious Disease Research Institute in Seattle. An avid outdoorsman, he particularly enjoyed bicycling, completing his ninth race across Iowa at age 76. He is survived by his wife, Lori; six sons; fifteen grandchildren; and a sister.

Earnest C. Edge ’47, of Clarksburg, W.Va.; Mar. 13. He is survived by a brother and several nieces and nephews.

Charles Gayley ’47, of Carmel, Ind.; Feb. 28, of lung cancer. He held management positions with Western Electric Co. and AT&T for thirty years. In 1984 he became director of administration for the McGuire & Shook Corp. of Architects and Engineers in Indianapolis, following that with a term as president and board member of AES Interconnects in Avon, Ind., and retiring in 1989. During World War II and the Korean War, he served as a commander with the U.S. Naval Reserve. He is survived by his wife, Denise; two sons, including John ’81; and two daughters.

Rev. James Parsons ’47, of Nyack, N.Y.; Mar. 13, from cancer. He was the pastor of the Clarkstown Reformed Church for the past ten years. Earlier he served as pastor of the Lincoln Park Reformed Church in Yonkers, the Mile Square Reformed Church (N.Y.), and the Church on the Pond in New Fairfield, Conn. He was also director of Christian education at Ft. Washington Collegiate Church in New York City and the Yonkers Council of Churches. He taught world religions at Nyack College and was elected Citizen of the Year in 1985 by the Chamber of Commerce of the Nyacks. He enjoyed cooking and collecting coins and antiques. He is survived by two sisters and eight nieces and nephews.

Peter S. Sinclair Sr. ’47, of Boynton Beach, Fla.; Mar. 15. He was a private yacht captain after serving in the U.S. Navy following World War II. He is survived by a daughter, a son, and three grandchildren.

Virginia Drake Case ’48, of Fullerton, Calif.; Aug. 15, 2006. She is survived by a son and two daughters.

William Dando ’48, of Jacksonville, Fla.; Dec. 1, 2006. He was a retired school psychologist. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus. He is survived by his wife, Viola; two daughters; a son; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

John I. Hillyer ’48, of Asheville, N.C.; Feb. 23. He was a retired engineer for the Ecusta Paper Division of Olin Corp. During World War II and the Korean conflict he served in the U.S. Navy. Active in the Boy Scouts of America for more than fifty years, he attained the title of Eagle Scout, was a troop leader, and was awarded the Silver Beaver Award. As a member of the Carolina Mountain Club, he helped maintain the Appalachian Trail and the Mountains-to-Sea Trail in North Carolina. He had a second career in woodcarving, teaching carving, writing a book on carving, starting the Western North Carolina Carvers’ Club, and being a member of the Southern Highland Craft Guild. Lambda Chi Alpha. He is survived by his wife, June; four sons; a daughter; twelve grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Rev. William T. Keech ’48, of York, Me.; Feb. 25. He served forty years in church, ecumenical, and civic organizations in West Acton, Greenfield, and Wakefield, Mass., before retiring in 1990. From 1975 to 1990 he served on the Massachusetts Commission on Christian Unity. He volunteered in the York school system and was a member of the Old York Historical Society. He is survived by three daughters.

Robert W. Noyes ’48, of Cataumet, Mass.; Apr. 5, after a long illness. He was an agent for the Paul Revere Insurance Co. in Worcester, retiring in 1985. While previously living in Westboro, he served as a deacon and member of the pastoral search committee. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army as a radio operator. He was an avid reader, an authority on World War II history, a talented golfer, and a skilled boatsman. He is survived by his wife, Elvira; two daughters; a son; and a grandson.

Raymond R. Cross ’49, of Longmeadow, Mass.; Mar. 16. A retired justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court, he previously served as city solicitor, assistant district attorney, and assistant attorney general for Northampton, Mass. He taught at Western New England Law School. In 1971 he was appointed to the Northampton District Court and in 1973 to the Massachusetts Superior Court, where he served until his retirement in 1991. He was an avid reader, a Civil War buff, and a Boston Red Sox fan. He is survived by five children and twelve grandchildren.

Melvin W. Dill ’49, ’55 PhD, of Bedford, Mass.; Feb. 27. A retired physicist, he previously worked for Westinghouse Lab, Lincoln Labs, AVCO Technologies, and GTE Sylvania. He also did work for the Harvard biology laboratory. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps. He was a member of the Acoustical Society of America, the American Physical Society, and the Institute of Industrial Engineers. Sigma Xi. He served the Bedford community as church deacon, math tutor, Boy Scout leader, and a founding member of the Bedford Citizen’s Scholarship Foundation. He is survived by four sons, including Kenneth ’77 and Noel ’71; three daughters, including Carol Herts ’79; twenty-three grandchildren, including Meredith Dill ’00 and James Herts ’08; and five great-grandchildren.

Everett T. Johnson ’49, of Ormond Beach, Fla.; Feb. 17. A retired dentist, he served in the U.S. Naval Dental Corps during the Korean conflict. He is survived by his wife, Mary Louise; a son; a daughter; and three grandchildren.

Thomas Panek ’49, of Arroyo Grande, Calif.; Dec. 10, 2006. He was a retired chemical engineer.

Cornelius W. Provost ’49, of Cushing, Maine; Mar. 17, after a short illness. A proponent of the rights and education of women, he taught science at Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield, Mass; at Chatham Hall in Virginia; and at Emma Willard School in Troy, New York, before retiring in 1984. Besides being a scientist and true lover of the natural world, he was also interested in photography, woodworking, astronomy, gardening, and reading. During his retirement he volunteered for many organizations and was a member of the Audubon Society, the Cushing Rescue Squad, and St. John the Baptist Church. He is survived by two sons, a daughter, and three grandchildren.

Bruce L. Williamson ’49, of Clifton Park, N.Y.; Mar. 24. He was a retired radio news broadcaster and media-relations manager. He was the news and program director for twelve years at WHIM in Providence; vice president and general manager of WRVM in Rochester, N.Y.; and news director and anchor for WTEN in New York. For thirteen years he produced award-winning documentaries and commentaries for WROW and WTEN in New York. He was also a freelance writer for United Press International. After retiring from broadcasting in 1977, he was a media-relations manager for the New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA), writing more than 100 articles on educational issues for the NYSSBA Journal. In 1987 he was named Poet Laureate of NYSSBA; his collection of humorous poems was published in 1994. He was a member of the Albany Rotary Club and a communicant of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, where he served as teacher, associate vestry member, and usher. Alpha Delta Phi. He is survived by his wife, Audrey; a son; a daughter; and two grandchildren.


Thomas E. Donelan Jr. ’50, of New Canaan, Conn.; Apr. 22. He was in the U.S. Navy for thirty-four years, retiring with the rank of lieutenant commander. During his naval reserve years he worked as a salesperson in the textile industry and later with Prudential Financial Services. He was actively involved as a volunteer in the community, serving with the Knights of Columbus charities, the Boy Scouts of America, local Little Leagues, the South Norwalk soup kitchen, and as an emergency medical technician with the Stamford Ambulance Corps. In 2003 he was presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award from the New Canaan Volunteer Recognition Awards Council. He was an active Red Cross board member for six years, serving three years as vice president. From 1998 to 2003 he served on the National Disasters Team as a logistics specialist for ten disasters in seven states and Guam. He is survived by his wife, Joan; four daughters; three sons; and eleven grandchildren.

David N. Nelson ’50, of Shoreline, Wash.; Mar. 23. He was a retired U.S. Postal Service employee. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army. He was a member of the Mt. Zion Lutheran Church and the Camano Island Country Club. He enjoyed golf, fishing, crabbing, football, and family. He is survived by his wife, Barbara; a daughter; and a granddaughter.

Peter J. Petropoulos ’50, of Westport, Conn.; Feb. 2. He was vice president of marketing at Uniroyal. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corp. Sigma Nu. He is survived by his wife, Eileen; a daughter; a son; and two grandchildren.

Patricia Dorr Kelsey ’51, of Seattle; Jan. 31. A Seattle real estate agent for twenty-five years, she was a member of the Junior League and University Presbyterian Church. She is survived by three daughters, two sons, and six grandchildren.

David T. Murphy ’51, of Cary, Ill.; Mar. 5. He was past president of the McHenry County College Board of Trustees, a member of the Illinois Community College Trustees Association, past chairman of the Illinois Board of Regents, and past president of the Lake County Council on Alcoholism. He is survived by two daughters, a son, and five grandchildren.

Barbara Hynes Samp ’51, of Cincinnati; Nov. 14, 2005.

Norman R. Watt ’51, of Cranston, R.I.; Jan. 17. He was a former assistant professor of chemistry at the Univ. of Connecticut. He is survived by a brother and several nieces and nephews.

Edward W. Day Jr. ’52, of Jamestown, R.I.; Feb. 28. A retired attorney, he previously practiced at Gardner, Sawyer, Cottam, Gates, Day, & Sloan in Providence. He was an active member of the R.I. Bar Association, the Jamestown Community Garden Co-op, and St. Mark’s Church. He is survived by his former wife, Ann; two daughters; and a son.

Chadbourne L. Cutler ’53, of Melbourne Beach, Fla.; Apr. 19, of lung disease.

He was a retired marketing manager for Digital Equipment Corp. in Massachusetts. He enjoyed tennis, golf, boating, and gardening. He is survived by his wife, Chris; two sons; and a daughter.

Richard W. Perkins ’53, of Bowie, Md.; Apr. 10, 2006.

Philip W. Wehrman ’53, of Kailua, Hawaii; Mar. 7, of a heart attack. A retired Navy captain, he commanded several U.S. Navy ships, including the USS McCard, a destroyer once visited by Princess Grace of Monaco. He held several military positions including commanding officer of a naval station in Korea and of the Bureau of Naval Personnel at the Pentagon, staff officer based at NATO headquarters in Brussels, and naval attaché in Morocco. He retired from the navy in 1982 after receiving the Legion of Merit award, and continued to enjoy racing sailboats. He is survived by his wife, Susan; two sons; a daughter; and two grandchildren.

Judith Quinn ’54, of Amherst, Mass.; Feb. 22, of metastatic melanoma. She worked as a writer and editor in Boston, Chicago, Berkeley, and Palo Alto, Calif., retiring in 1993. She had a deep interest in the arts and politics, and was well-traveled. She is survived by her sister Carolyn Quinn Tew ’52, 103 Tucker St., Annapolis, Md. 21401.

Peter M. Standish ’54, of Osterville, Mass., and formerly of Sewickley, Pa.; Apr. 1, after a long illness. He was the managing partner of Stanover Associates, a joint venture investment firm in Pittsburgh. During the Korean War he joined the Marine Corps and was in the honor guard at the dedication of the statue of Iwo Jima in Arlington, Va. He was one of the founding owners of the Pittsburgh Penguins, and served on the Sewickley Heights Borough Council and the Sewickley Academy board of trustees. He was also a founding board member of the Western Pennsylvania chapter of the Leukemia Society of America. He belonged to the Allegheny Country Club, the Wianno Club, and the Rolling Rock Club. He enjoyed boxing, hockey, tennis, and golf. He is survived by his wife, Mary; two sons; a daughter; a stepdaughter; and ten grandchildren.

Willard G. Hadlock ’56, of Huntley, Ill.; Oct. 2, 2005, of lymphoma. He is survived by his wife, Linnea.

Francis C. Regan ’56, of Scituate, Mass.; Feb. 27, from an illness due to kidney cancer. He was CEO and chairman of Systems Integration Engineering Inc. for sixteen years. During the Vietnam War he served as a marine fighter pilot and received thirty-four combat decorations before retiring as a lieutenant colonel in 1976. In 2003 he became the Scituate harbormaster. He was a member of the Scituate finance committee, the Scituate Harbor Yacht Club, and the Scituate Rod and Gun Association. He is survived by his wife, Christine; two daughters; two sons; four stepchildren; and four grandchildren.

George J. Backhaus ’57, of Fresno, Calif.; Feb. 7. He was a railroad engineer at Southern Pacific for over twenty years. He served in the U.S. Air Force as a B-52 pilot for twenty years. He is survived by his wife, Roxanne; three sons; and two daughters.

Pearce H. Baker, Jr. ’58, of Copiague, N.Y.; Feb. 1, after a long illness. He was co-owner of the Montowese Playhouse in Branford, Conn. He was also a public relations affiliate at Macy’s, where he assisted in producing many events, including the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. During the Korean War, he served in the U.S. Navy as a control-tower operator. He was a member of the Amityville Community Theater, where he directed and starred in many productions. He was a past commodore of Narrasketuck Yacht Club. During his retirement he enjoyed oil painting. He is survived by his wife, Katherine Baker, 3303 Hayden Ct., Boynton Beach, Fla. 33436; a son; two daughters; nine grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Wallis H. Darnley ’59, of Douglas, Mass.; Mar. 24. After teaching in Uxbridge and serving as assistant principal in the Charlton public schools, he was the principal of Uxbridge Elementary School for twenty years. After his retirement he pursued a second career for five years as the curator for the Worcester Historical Museum and as a consultant there until his death.

Jane Staples Skidgel ’59, of Canaan, Conn.; June 2, 2006. She was retired from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. She is survived by a daughter and two sons.


Jill Forman Chase Starr ’61, of Weston, Mass.; Jan. 31.

Donald B. Nutter ’63, of Helena, Mont.; Apr. 14, of a brain aneurysm. He was a retired Georgia-Pacific salesman. He is survived by his son and two grandchildren.

Robert S. Woolley ’65, of New York City; Dec. 18, 2006.

Lawrence Rhoades ’66, of Pittsburgh; Apr. 21. He was the founder and CEO of Extrude Hone Corp. and the Ex One Co. in Irwin, Pa. He held patents on more than two dozen inventions related to nontraditional manufacturing and machining. His innovations are used in protective athletic gear and in the automobile, aerospace, and biomedical and military technology industries. In 2003 Pittsburgh Business Times named him Manufacturer of the Year and Ernst & Young named him Master Entrepreneur of the Year for Western Pennsylvania. In 2004 he was awarded the Defense Manufacturing Excellence Award, and was the recipient of the Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association’s Outstanding Entrepreneur Award in 2005. In addition, he served on numerous local manufacturing-related boards, as well as federal government advisory boards including the advisory committee of the U.S. Export Import Bank. He is survived by two sons, a daughter, and a granddaughter.

Martin Tropp ’66, of Newton, Mass.; Dec. 29, 2006, of cancer. He was a professor of English at Babson College and the author of several books. At Babson he was an advisor to the student literary magazine and led the Toolachs, the Babson spelling team. He enjoyed theater, politics, science, Scrabble, and movies. He is survived by his wife, Sandy; and two daughters.

Stephen P. Chilton ’68, of Duluth, Minn.; Mar. 28, of a pulmonary embolism. He was a professor of political science at the Univ. of Minnesota at Duluth. He was active in various labor organizations and in university and community politics. He was a member of the American Political Science Association. He enjoyed chess, cross-country skiing, and his family. He is survived by his daughter and two granddaughters.


Gary D. Merz ’72, of Niantic, Conn.; Apr. 2, after a brief illness. He was a senior process engineer employed by Doncaster’s in New London, Conn. He was also president of the Antique Outboard Motor Club of New England, owning one of the largest collections of boat and motor repair and maintenance manuals on the East Coast. His collection will be donated to the Mystic Maritime Museum. He is survived by sister Cynthia Combe ’74, a brother, and several nieces and nephews.

Clifford W. Shults ’72, of La Jolla, Calif.; Feb. 6, from complications of cancer. An international leader in research on Parkinson’s Disease, he was a professor of neurosciences at the Univ. of California, San Diego, Medical Center and a neurologist at the Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System. A hands-on physician, teacher, and researcher, he was the first, in 2002, to successfully slow progressive impairment in patients with early-stage Parkinson’s using the antioxidant Q-10, an over-the-counter supplement. He was principal investigator on a $7-million NIH-funded study of multiple system atrophy, a progressive, fatal neurological disorder. Among many honors, he received the Junior Faculty award by the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation and the Victory Award at the 2003 Unity Walk in New York City. He served on a number of scientific panels, including the Scientific Advisory Board of the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research. He has been recognized as one of America’s “Top Doctors.” He is survived by his wife, Ellen; a daughter; and a son.

James M. Burke ’74, of Scotch Plains, N.J.; Feb. 23. An attorney, he was a partner with Mackevich, Burke, and Stanicki in Clark, N.J., for thirty years. In 1990 he was certified as a civil trial attorney. He was a member of the Union County Bar Association, the New Jersey State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, and the American Trial Lawyers Association. In 2006 he was named to the Brown Univ. Basketball All-Decade team of the 1970s. A coach, mentor, and sponsor of youth basketball, he instructed numerous basketball camps, clinics, and tournaments in Scotch Pines. He is survived by his wife, Kathy; a son; and a daughter.

Robert J. Palme ’75, of Brooklyn, N.Y.; Jan. 10. He is survived by his wife, Leslie; a son; and two daughters.

Eric M. Hansen ’78, of Easley, S.C.; Mar. 8. He was a CAD operator. He is survived by his parents, Milton and Sally Hansen; and a brother.


Lori Murphy Carter ’80, of Delaplane, Va.; Jul. 21, 2005.

Pamela A. Kogen ’84, of Spring Hill, Tenn.; Sept. 7, 2006.

Lily A. Barberio ’87, of New York City; Feb. 20. She is survived by her husband, Greg Ransom.

Joseph B. Letourneau ’88, formerly of Atlanta, Ga.; Mar.1, after a brief illness. He is survived by his mother, Cecile Glaude Letourneau; a brother; and two sisters.


Kathryn M. Fantaski ’94, of New York City; Mar. 12, of brain cancer. A lighting professional in the entertainment industry, she designed and implemented automated lighting plots for various events and shows, including Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

She worked in automated lighting for nationally televised events such as the Emmys, Grammys, Espys, the Johnny Cash Tribute, and the MTV Music Awards. Broadway theaters, ABC Studios, Madison Square Garden, and Radio City Music Hall were some of the other venues that employed her lighting expertise. She was a member of the Central New Jersey Brain Tumor Support Group, designing brain tumor awareness T-shirts and participating in the Have a Chance Walk in New York City to fundraise for brain tumor research. She is survived by her husband, Daran; her father, Paul Fantaski Sr.; a brother; and a stepbrother.


Laurence E. Strong ’40 PhD, of Sandy Spring, Md.; Mar. 8, of congestive heart failure. He taught chemistry at Kalamazoo College in Mich. and then at Earlham College in Ind., retiring from teaching in 1979. He worked as a research professor and examiner for the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools accreditation organization. He was a consultant for the American Red Cross and director of a UNESCO pilot project on teaching chemistry in Asia. He wrote and/or co-wrote seventy-one publications and five books. After moving to Sandy Spring in 1993, he volunteered with the Sandy Spring Friends Meeting, the American Friends Service Committee, and the Friends Committee on National Legislation. He was a member of the American Chemical Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Phi Beta Kappa, Sigma Nu. He is survived by his wife, Jeanne; a daughter; three sons; and five grandchildren.

William J. Robbins ’47 PhD, of Owls Head, Maine; Apr. 6. He taught English, French, and Latin at Rockport High School, while serving as minister of the First Universalist Church of Yarmouth and First Universalist Church of Rockland. Prior to teaching high school, he was associate professor and chairman of the Department of Religious Studies at Brown, as well as a chaplain in the U.S. Army. He is survived by a stepson, a stepdaughter, seven grandchildren, and one great-grandson.

Robert M. Haythornthwaite ’53 ScM, of Jenkintown, Pa.; Feb. 24. He was professor emeritus and former dean of the College of Engineering at Temple Univ. In 1969, he founded the American Academy of Mechanics and served as its first president. In Feb. 2006, Temple started a lecture series in his name. He is survived by his wife, Mary; a son; two daughters; and one grandchild.

S. Harold Reuter ’55 ScM, of Houston, Tex.; Nov. 2, 2006. An otolaryngologist in private practice for thirty-six years, in 2001 he became a full-time faculty member of the Univ. of Texas Medical School at Houston. He designed several medical devices that are still widely used in otolaryngology today: the bivalve Teflon nasal septal splint, the Epitek, and the stainless steel bobbin, which has been used internationally for more than four decades.

An avid scuba diver, in 1969, while serving as president of the Houston Underwater Club, he founded Seaspace Symposium, an underwater film festival, which has grown into the Southwest’s preeminent scuba-diving and adventure-sports exposition. He received international acclaim for his contributions to diving medicine and his underwater photography, which garnered hundreds of national and international awards. Working from the U.S. Navy dive tables, he created simplified tables for the sport diver that were published in The Ocean World of Jacques Cousteau. He was active in the American College of Surgeons, the American Medical Society, the American Academy of Otolaryngology, the Diver Accident Network, the Houston Otolaryngological Society, the Undersea Medical Society, the Texas Medical Association and Otolaryngological Society, and the Pan-American Association. He served as clinical assistant professor of otolaryngology at Baylor College and associate professor of otolaryngology at Harvard Medical School. He was medical advisor to the national YMCA scuba program, served on the curriculum and standards committee for the Undersea Medical Society, and was a member of the committee on applicants for the American College of Surgeons. He is survived by his wife, Maribel; a son; two daughters; and two grandchildren.

Rodney K. Delasanta ’55 AM, ’62 PhD, of Woonsocket, R.I.; Apr. 10. He was a professor of English at Providence College. He was the author of numerous articles published in various scholarly journals and received the Sears, Roebuck Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1990, He was also a member of the R.I. Humanities Forum, chairman of the Rhodes Scholarship Nominating Committee for R.I., and visiting associate professor at Brown in 1983. An accordion player and teacher, he was a member of the St. Anthony’s Choir and played in various local bands. He is survived by his wife, Frances; a son; three daughters; seven grandchildren; and a sister.

Hans J.U. Thommen ’58 PhD, of Mattapoisett, Mass.; Apr. 15. He was a former professor of mechanical engineering at the Univ. of Massachusetts in Dartmouth, retiring in 1991. He is survived by his wife, Barbara, two daughters, and six grandchildren.

Winthrop Jordan ’60 PhD, of Oxford, Miss.; Feb. 23, after a long illness. He was professor emeritus of history and African American studies at the Univ. of Mississippi, retiring in 2003. He is survived by his wife, Cora; three sons; two stepsons; a stepdaughter; five grandchildren; and five step-grandchildren.

Julia Papandrea ’62 MAT, of Port Charlotte, Fla., formerly of Swansea, Mass.; Sept. 6, 2006. She was a retired French teacher in the Swansea school system. She is survived by her husband, Joseph; a daughter; and a son.

Paul F. Parakkal ’62 PhD, of Gaithersburg, Md.; Dec. 16, 2005.

John C. Duffy ’67 AM, of Gettysburg, Pa.; Mar. 15. He was involved with the arts as a musician, conductor, educator, critic, writer, and avid theatergoer. In 1971, he co-founded the Providence Singers; he taught and conducted at Tufts Univ. in the mid-1970s; he wrote The Songs and Motets of Alfonso Ferrabosco, the Younger, published in 1980; he sang in the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, the John Oliver Chorale, and with several other vocal groups in the Boston area. He enjoyed working with young people, leading students of a local high school to win two consecutive state choral titles and directing the Normandale Community College choir on several occasions. As a music critic he wrote reviews for the Boston Herald, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, and the St. Paul Pioneer Press. He was a member of the Music Critics Association and the American Musicological Society. He is survived by his wife, Jeanne; a daughter; a son; and a granddaughter.

Charles F. O’Brien ’68 PhD, of Ormond Beach, Fla.; Feb. 10, of cancer. He taught for thirty years at Clarkson Univ. in New York. He held the positions of faculty senate and dean of liberal studies. In 1977, he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship by the U.S. State Department to teach U.S. history in North Africa. He was a member of the Clarkson Athletic Department’s Steering Committee and St. Brendan’s Catholic Church, where he became a minister to the sick. He is survived by his wife, Emily; a daughter; two sons; two stepsons; and fourteen grandchildren.

Ronald J. Hundenski ’72 AM, ’78 PhD, of Berkeley, Calif.; Feb. 21. He was a coordinator of health services for rural counties throughout northern California, retiring as a senior statistician with the city and county of San Francisco in 2004. He previously worked for Vista in Appalachia and held a faculty position at the Univ. of California at Riverside. He enjoyed running, hiking, cross-country skiing, and photography. He is survived by his wife, Sabe; and two daughters.

Amy McCafferty Horne ’73 AM, of Verbank, N.Y.; Feb. 16. She was a licensed realtor. She is survived by a son.

Shirley R. Uber ’74 AM, of North Kingstown, R.I.; Jan. 31, 2005.

What do you think?
See what other readers are saying about this article and add your voice. 
Related Issue
July / August 2007